“Exquisite Italian food ”
Review of Don Rosario

Don Rosario
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Souda
Price range: USD 21 - USD 30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 September 2016 via mobile

Seeing the Venetian influences all around Chania we felt sure there were going to be a number of excellent Italian restaurants in the area. However, it has not been as easy as anticipated to locate one; but we are in Crete, not Italy after all!

A number of restaurants in Chania had been suggested to us by a local travel agency and one afternoon I perused the various reviews on TA. Don Rosario came up and having read the great reviews, we wanted to try it. Positive comments from a number of native Italians were helpful.

We visited the restaurant on Sunday 18 September 2016.

We are staying in Aptera and had unknowingly driven past the restaurant, which is just set off the main road near the Souda turning, the night before. The restaurant has a welcoming look and has a large area outside under the trees filled with tables. We were given choice of where we wanted to sit.

It was lovely to be at a restaurant which had proper material table cloths and napkins, as opposed to paper serviettes.

We were greeted by a lovely waitress from Albania who could speak a wide range of languages. She was impressive. She handed us the menus and took her time to explain all the specials. She knew what went into every dish and how they were cooked; answering any questions we had. She had worked helping prepare the food in the kitchen for a couple of months so knew what she was talking about. She made the point that if we wanted something as a starter that was listed as a main, they would do their best to accommodate this.

We chose to share the insalata del berone (which comprised potatoes, tomatoes, and celery amongst other bits with a balsamic and oil dressing) from the specials list to start (€8,50). It was a big portion and the left over dressing at the bottom was great to dip your bread in. We were served two large chunks of fresh homemade crusty bread. The salad was incredibly fresh and tasty; a meal in itself. Absolutely delicious. I can't quite remember, but I don't think the bread was charged to us as is usually the custom in restaurants we have visited in Crete.

For mains, my partner had the guazzetto di vongole e gamberi (shrimp and clams in a jus) (€15,50) and I opted for the salsiccia alla griglia con pasta al pesto silciliano (homemade pork sausage with pesto pasta) (€13,50). Both were incredible. The flavour on the sausages was like nothing you might get in the supermarket and we were told that they comprised just pork, fennel and pepper. I would have liked a bit more pesto on the pasta but that's because I am a big fan of pesto and generally greedy with it. The taste of the shrimp and clam broth probably did just slightly beat the sausage dish but only just. It was light but with an incredible flavour. Just superb. The portions were large and we were stuffed by the end.

Strangely we weren't offered a dessert and were brought, what I think was, pana cotta with cherries in jus and raki. The dessert was delightfully creamy and light. Both of these were on the house and we were delighted with the gesture. Despite being full, we had had our eye on the special, tortino al limoncello (€7,50). It was probably best we didn't get the option to order it as really we had had enough! Next time!!

The meal with a bottle of local water came to around €40. It should be noted that the restaurant does not have an electronic POS and only accepts cash. The food is not cheap and if you're having wine the bill could mount up, which you need the cash to cover! We were informed of this prior to ordering however.

Whilst the cost of food is not cheap, it isn't much more than we've paid in most restaurants we have eaten at in Crete, particularly in Chania centre. I would say it is worth every single penny and it is the only restaurant we've committed to returning to at least one more time before the end of the holiday. We had earmarked it for our 'last night meal' but unfortunately it is closed on a Monday. It is honestly some of the best food we have eaten ever, not just here in Crete.

Absolutely exquisite meal, in a lovely restaurant with superb friendly, knowledgeable and attentive staff.

Reviewer type: Foodies from Altrincham, Manchester, U.K. Early thirties.

There are newer reviews for Don Rosario

Reviewed 18 September 2016

During our stay in chania, we were advised to visit Don Rosario, a real traditional italian restaurant. We were shocked not only by the incredible taste of every plate we ordered, but by the undoubtable quality as well. I recommend this restaurant to anyone staying in Chania for a few days who likes italian food, it's one of the best I have ever been! Keep up the good work! We will be back soon. Loving don rosario <3

Reviewed 11 September 2016

The Don makes some of the best pasta dishes anywhere. My Greek friends have been eating here for years and they recommended it to me, and it was amazing. Ate here twice in two days and also got an order to go. My favorite was Spaghetti Vongole, my buddy loved the following in order Spaghetti al Pesto, Spaghetti Don Rosario. The Caprese is the freshest out there, by the way they grow their own herbs and fruit and the pasta is always fresh. Helena has been our server every time and her boisterous personality only made the experience even better. Perfection comes at a price, here its having patience because they make everything from scratch be prepared to enjoy the scenery while the most amazing food is prepared.

1  Thank danmite
Reviewed 11 September 2016 via mobile

An excellent meal, great wine and friendly service. Very generous portions so come hungry. We will definitely be back!

2  Thank Sue H
Reviewed 23 August 2016

…with an excellent attention to local raw materials. Quality is really high, so everything in the menu is tasty, accurate and awesome.

I totally suggest “Tagliatelle Saganaki”, but better to ask the personnel if there are special seasonal dishes or daily preparation.

Good choice of wines.

Personnel is professional and prepared and can provide really good suggestions.
The restaurant is huge and clean, better to make a reservation (tables outside under the trees are beautiful).

We will be back for sure.

3  Thank GriGio91