“Corporate skittles”

Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 December 2015 via mobile

Nice pub with friendly staff. Corporate skittles evening which was an experience in itself for colleagues from non-skittling regions! Food was very nice - chilli and a curry. Recommended.

Reviewed 22 October 2015

first of all i would like to say this pub is very welcoming. I had a lovely steak here last thursday, which was a bargain at 2 steaks and a bottle of wine for £25. The peas were lovely and hot and steak done just how I like it .I also came here for a carvery on the sunday, I don't like beef or pork which was on offer this particular sunday so the bar maid said the chef would do me chicken if I wished which was perfect. very helpful staff and the meal was great. I had the 2 courses for £12 which included a dessert, I chose the homemade trifle which was lovely.

they are doing very well since the fire and I hope the continue doing so.

Reviewed 20 October 2015

A nice and friendly welcome, the other half was advised well on the local beer which kept him sweet!! Great, hot fresh food, and not the usual tiny plate you normally get for a carvery!! Chef was very informative as to what ingredients went into various dishes and took freat pride of his creations The roasties were the best we've had for quite a while and the beef was perfect. A massive well done thankyou

1  Thank 45les
Reviewed 4 October 2015 via mobile

We have always driven past, but never stopped. We did today. Fantastic meal, great service. Great effort to get things back on track after the fire. We had a wonderful lunch and will definitely be back for more. Thank you!

1  Thank KatyPotatie
Reviewed 17 September 2015

Having not been able to get in at another pub we wanted to try near Yeovil, we thought we'd try here. Mixed reviews but always worth forming your own opinion.

We arrived at about 18:45 on a Wednesday evening. The pub was empty but there was a pleasant bar maid who handed us menus and pointed us to the specials board.

They had no ginger beer for dad, but I opted for a pint of Hobgoblin, one of my favourite ales, which is the only one they had on. She said she had to pull it through and would bring it over, which she did. It certainly wasn't as beautiful as most other Hobgoblins I've had.

At 91 dad doesn't have a big appetite and he opted for the potato and leek soup. I asked about the pan-fried chicken with sautee potatoes on the specials menu, and asked if it was coated in anything or served with a sauce. She said it was plain but I could have it with gravy. I opted for the steak and ale pie.

The pub reopened almost two years ago I believe after a disastrous fire, but the ambiance of the pub is still good, and feels old. Nevertheless there was something of a damp smell to the place.Sadly the atmosphere wasn't enhanced by Heart Radio playing in the background, which at this time of evening was playing dance type Radio 1 sort of music.

The food duly arrived. Dad's soup was mediocre he said, and my pie came with ½-inch diced steak served with a separate flakey pastry topping. The meat was very firm and required some chewing, and wasn't overly tasty, although not as lacklustre as the last steak pie I had some weeks ago. The chips were very large, and despite the raving reviews of others, found them to be very pale and slightly undercooked. The veg options had been peas and carrots, and whilst I'd asked for no peas, the carrots were cooked reasonably well. Everything was served on the plate rather than separate chips and beg.

We were asked if we wanted desserts and we said we'd take a look at the menu. A couple of minutes later the waitress walked towards us with a chalk board and said they hadn't got the trifle but had the other dishes. She showed us the board for literally two seconds before walking off with it.

Despite us still being the only customers, if was a further five minutes before the waitress returned. Dad hadn't been able take it all in that quickly and decided he wouldn't have a dessert after all. I opted for the bread and butter pudding with custard. It was served promptly and was very nice, although if I'm being picky I'd say that the fruit layers were overly smothered in fruit.

What we had from the menu was reasonably priced, but overall if was far from being one of the better meals we've had in this neck of the woods, and not somewhere we'll be hurrying back to. It's a shame because it is a nice pub which desewrves to be better.

1  Thank Souwester147