“Pleasantly surprised”

Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 October 2015 via mobile

We have always driven past, but never stopped. We did today. Fantastic meal, great service. Great effort to get things back on track after the fire. We had a wonderful lunch and will definitely be back for more. Thank you!

1  Thank KatyPotatie

Reviewed 17 September 2015

Having not been able to get in at another pub we wanted to try near Yeovil, we thought we'd try here. Mixed reviews but always worth forming your own opinion.

We arrived at about 18:45 on a Wednesday evening. The pub was empty but there was a pleasant bar maid who handed us menus and pointed us to the specials board.

They had no ginger beer for dad, but I opted for a pint of Hobgoblin, one of my favourite ales, which is the only one they had on. She said she had to pull it through and would bring it over, which she did. It certainly wasn't as beautiful as most other Hobgoblins I've had.

At 91 dad doesn't have a big appetite and he opted for the potato and leek soup. I asked about the pan-fried chicken with sautee potatoes on the specials menu, and asked if it was coated in anything or served with a sauce. She said it was plain but I could have it with gravy. I opted for the steak and ale pie.

The pub reopened almost two years ago I believe after a disastrous fire, but the ambiance of the pub is still good, and feels old. Nevertheless there was something of a damp smell to the place.Sadly the atmosphere wasn't enhanced by Heart Radio playing in the background, which at this time of evening was playing dance type Radio 1 sort of music.

The food duly arrived. Dad's soup was mediocre he said, and my pie came with ½-inch diced steak served with a separate flakey pastry topping. The meat was very firm and required some chewing, and wasn't overly tasty, although not as lacklustre as the last steak pie I had some weeks ago. The chips were very large, and despite the raving reviews of others, found them to be very pale and slightly undercooked. The veg options had been peas and carrots, and whilst I'd asked for no peas, the carrots were cooked reasonably well. Everything was served on the plate rather than separate chips and beg.

We were asked if we wanted desserts and we said we'd take a look at the menu. A couple of minutes later the waitress walked towards us with a chalk board and said they hadn't got the trifle but had the other dishes. She showed us the board for literally two seconds before walking off with it.

Despite us still being the only customers, if was a further five minutes before the waitress returned. Dad hadn't been able take it all in that quickly and decided he wouldn't have a dessert after all. I opted for the bread and butter pudding with custard. It was served promptly and was very nice, although if I'm being picky I'd say that the fruit layers were overly smothered in fruit.

What we had from the menu was reasonably priced, but overall if was far from being one of the better meals we've had in this neck of the woods, and not somewhere we'll be hurrying back to. It's a shame because it is a nice pub which desewrves to be better.

1  Thank Souwester147
Reviewed 3 August 2015

As a passer by I stopped to use the bathroom , I asked to use the toilet and was basically told where to shove it , I thought the man was joking but nope he then gave me abuse and refused me to use the bathroom.
Not exactly warm or welcoming .

2  Thank Sian P
Reviewed 11 June 2015

The interior is a classic and if you are taller than 6 foot, mind your head. Friendly and attentive staff, food ok and such is the beer from a fairly comprehensive selection. Everything was standard the chips perhaps a bit below but, on the upside, the vegetables were perfect. Not crunchy but with a little of a bite - very nice. Only sad there didn't come more with the beef and ale pie which actually wasn't, to my big disappointment, a real pie.

Anyways, nice dinner on the way back to the hotel

Reviewed 24 April 2015 via mobile

Went here on a Saturday evening. Nobody else dining!!! Service was VERY slow. Food was plentiful but plain. Pricing was very reasonable. Staff were lovely though. Maybe they had not been reopened for long when we went in February, but they have quite a way to go before we will be returning!!

3  Thank Sarah E