All reviews baby turtles horseback riding beach bar play volleyball an adventure chilled atmosphere drinking games boat ride dorm beds every afternoon stayed longer daily volleyball the pacific ocean central america yoga classes turtle lay her eggs bring bug spray
Reviewed 18 February 2015

The location right on the beach was beautiful and the private cabin was clean and well maintained. They provide a few activities including yoga, horseback riding and surfing. I did not participate in yoga nor horseback riding but they both looked like nice relaxing options. I did take the surfing class and the instructor was friendly and helpful. The ride there was enjoyable: you take a provided bus, then a boat, and then a horse drawn carriage. Even taking all this into account, I wish I would have stayed somewhere else. The simple reason would be because of service. Most of the “staff” weren't rude but they extremely lacked in any type of customer service. Upon arriving at 2PM, our room still hadn’t been cleaned so we had to wait a little over an hour. That did not bother me since we could relax in the lounge area and have a drink. I asked for an iced coffee but after an hour and a half and few inquiries as to where my drink was, I gave up once our room was ready and cancelled the order. They offered a free beer for the inconvenience which I accepted at dinner but seemed like a quick fix for their lack of organization. This gesture was also an indication that most drinks that lie outside of an alcoholic beverage are slim and forgettable by the “staff.” Even though there was an extreme lack of any type of management, organization, and proper etiquette as a lodge staff member, most we’re friendly people except for the young lady at the front desk. I kid you not, I had gone to the front desk to ask about the surfing lessons for the next day and even though she knew I was there and about to ask questions, the girl got up and left the desk to take pictures of the beach and then continue to post to Facebook. All the while, I’m there waiting. I have no issue waiting but when it’s to take a personal call (which she did another time) or hop on social media, I find it fairly disrespectful as an employee.
To continue to show the lack of service, absolutely any meal you receive will take at least an hour no matter how short the line is. This is mostly due to the fact that only two women manage the kitchen but I think that organization also has a role in it. Also, be aware that “staff” will possibly be eating some of your sides as they carry your plate TO you.
Finally, many other reviews will agree with my opinion but this is a younger party lodge! The “staff” and young visitors are there to party. Unfortunately, the reviews that stated this didn't start popping up until after I booked. I would classify this place as the classic American college party scene placed on a beautiful location in Nicaragua. If this is not what you want and you’re okay with the staff being fairly nonexistent then this is the perfect place for you. I would say if you’re a solo traveler in your early 20s and enjoy binge drinking, this, my friend, is the place for you! If this is you, that’s great that you have a place like this then but it is definitely not me and not the way I like to travel.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda Z
Surfing_Turtle_Lodge, Owner at Surfing Turtle Beach Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2015

Thank you for our review and impression of the Lodge. We take customer service very seriously and always appreciate customer feedback. We are always observing the quality of service to make sure it is to a high standard and hold staff accountable. Also, we are happy to say that we are currently implementing a new iPad ordering system that will help food, drinks and activities. Thank you again for your feedback and we will always make sure to have our staff and Lodge give you the best possible service and experience.

Reviewed 5 February 2015

this is a beautiful location. With amazing potential. Cabins and dorm beds, restaurant and bar, yoga and surf rental...it's all great.
Sadly I think the thing that kills it is that you are forced to endure the staff selected music which turns the place into a homogenous frat bar on the beach. You can go anywhere for that scene!!!
I sat on my porch last night trying to listen to the surf, watching the moon rise, watching the bats fly overhead and I could barely have a conversation without repeating every other sentence. It would have be awesome to listen to our own music in our cabin! We paid enough money...

You are this forced into a scene that is nothing special...it's "anywhere bar".

Turn down the frat bar music and let people enjoy where they are. Please!!

• Stayed: February 2015
3  Thank pdxandbeyond

We want to make sure all guests have a memorable stay with us and are always working hard to do so. We do have a quiet time past 11 pm and are always making sure to implement it. Also, we now move the guests that wish to stay up past that time to the beach bar and will be very strict on noise levels. Thank you for your feedback and review.

Reviewed 30 January 2015

This lodge was set in the perfect surroundings on a secluded beach. We stayed in the private cabin, which was a lovely setting with great views out to the beach. The room itself was nice, although the bathroom had dirty walls. Wifi did not reach the rooms and only really worked in the main lobby/seating area.

We came expecting a relaxed, calming atmosphere, and by the surrounding, this seemed perfect. However the volunteers, who made up most of the "staff" were not good at all. We got off to a bad start when we arrived and ordered an iced coffee while we waiting for our cabin to be cleaned and readied for us. After 1 hour of waiting we inquired about the drink, the volunteers apologized, offered us a free beer (which seems to be the solution for any complaint) and checked with the kitchen. We waited another half hour, by which point our room was ready, and still had not received the drink, so we cancelled our order. We hoped that this was just a one time problem, however as we ordered food during our time here, we found that the wait times were extremely long. None of our meals throughout our stay arrived in under an hour. I appreciate that the small kitchen staff makes the meals from scratch, but this seemed like an exceptionally long time to wait, especially given the low number of people ordering food. The food itself was average, although pricier than other places in the area. The food is then delivered by a wait staff made of the volunteers. We saw these volunteers eating off the customers' plates not only after customers were finished with them, but while they were delivering meals to the customers. This seemed to sum up the level of service we received. Expect the volunteers, who act as almost the entirety of the staff, to be very poor. The service was about what you'd expect at a frat party, with these volunteers often drinking throughout their shift and not giving much service/attention to the customers.

One positive was the surf class which we took. The instructor was friendly and helpful, and his service was better than any other staff.

At night the lodge turns into a giant party. This was not what we were looking for. Instead we were hoping for a relaxing few days to end our trip. If you are a college age person, coming to drink and party throughout the day and night, this place is for you. It just wasn't what we were looking for.

Travelling to the lodge was made easy by the shuttle from Leon, and the lodge booked a taxi for us to get to Managua airport when we were leaving. This was convenient and we were able to pay for it right at the lodge. The payment system made it convenient for customers throughout the stay, with everything being charged to your room and payment accepted upon checkout.

Overall, I can see the appeal of this lodge to those in a different stage of life than us. However, it was not the right fit for us.

Room Tip: Only come here if you are here for a party. We stayed in one of the private cabins and there is no way to avoid the noise late into the night.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jpcloli

Thank you for review. We take the service at the Lodge very seriously. We have recently made some adjustments to help us serve our guests better. Although we do still employ some volunteers to serve our guests we are focused on employing more full-time staff to make sure a high quality of service is maintained. Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed 29 January 2015

Beautiful spot: good for long walks on the beach, relaxing and chilling. Great yoga platform. No yoga teacher when I was there (he/she was on a holiday) so I asked and got the opportunity to teach a few classes myselves.
Staff liked to party when we were their. If you like drinking games, you're invited to join them. We passed.
They have an amazing turtle rescue project. You can even help by putting them on the beach after the eggs have hatched. We made a little video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo3Cw3WfQyc

Food is a bit expensive and you don't really have another option than eating there. If you like surfing: there are better places around.

Room Tip: Take the room with shared bathroom. There is one with sea view
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 January 2015 via mobile

This place is paradise! Friendly staff, delicious food, amazing (beach)games, enormous private beach, waves for starting surfers and an amazing vibe! Saw many baby turtles and helped them on there way to the Pacific ocean.
I will defenitely come back:)

Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends