“Excellent food and friendly service”
Review of The Wheatsheaf

The Wheatsheaf
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Wheatsheaf sits in the heart of Burton Joyce village and offers a warm and cosy atmosphere with great quality pub dishes, served with the occasional twist. Food is served daily from midday and the bar is open until 11pm every evening where you can enjoy a superb range of ales, wines, spirits, teas and coffees. Lovely outdoor area in the Summer and cosy log burning comfort in the Winter we love to provide our guests with the warmest of experiences no matter what your occasion.
Reviewed 15 June 2018

I was tempted by the lunch menu for the favourable prices and reduced sizes. My friend had stilton and peppercorn mushroom starter which was gorgeous. Very flavoursome and nicely presented. Adding a start or pudding with a lunch main is only £3 so a good deal.

We shared the lunches and we ordered: rarebit toastie, which again had loads of flavour and is different from the norm, and cod goujons which was meant to be in a sandwich but we didn't want so much bread so just ordered these without bread. Lovely fish and batter was light with a few chips on the side, just what you want! I don't know if this was for us because of no bread, but it was perfect. Nice to have fried chips too instead of dry oven ones that can be in restaurants. "If you're having chips, have proper chips", as my mum always says.

I had the fudge cake pudding with custard, which was moist and wonderful flavour. To be honest this pudding seems similar across the chains but there's nothing wrong with safe when it's so good.

I was particularly impressed by the service - good old fashioned customer care for not only ourselves, but others nearby we could hear. The owners/staff/managers all seem to take pride in their work, sadly not so common these days. It's a very nice venue too, and ambiance.

We'll be going again!

1  Thank stikwik
rwhitbread1, Manager at The Wheatsheaf, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

It's so nice to read your in depth review. You have touched on many of our best seller's. If i may, as you liked our battered fish,we have a great deal on our Atlantic cod and chips every Friday for just £7. Might i add that it's £10 for prosecco too.
thank you kindly for your review.
Rich S

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

Came weds night with friends from work and their 2 dogs , had reserved a table in the bar and this was all set up waiting for us when we arrived . Bar staff really friendly when we ordered and even offered our four legged friends water and a treat from the doggy station ( great idea by the way)
We ordered hunters chickens and the veg fish and chips from the main menu both delicious and my friend had coronation chicken off the summer specials again looked and tasted amazing , staff couldn’t do enough for us will definitely be returning soon . This is a great venue with great staff !

1  Thank pinky5907
rwhitbread1, General Manager at The Wheatsheaf, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Thank you for your lovely review!

We love our four legged friends - although this reminds me i need to get more dog biscuits! Glad you enjoyed the new Coronation chicken special its a really great meal, fit for summer. Lets hope the weather continues and we see more of our pampered pooches soon!

Warm regards

Reviewed 10 June 2018

Have not been here for a couple of years but previous visits have always been enjoyable, but was very disappointed with last nights visit, booked on line but were unaware of the booking when arrived but was not a problem plenty of tables available, staff were polite but not particularly friendly, efficious would be best description, food was very disappointing menu looks great, I had from the summer menu starter was king prawns with chilli and coriander on toasted giabatta, with slices of avacado - three very small king prawns on bread that was so hard I could not cut it, a tiny leaf of coriander and a load of chopped chilli, avocado was just mush, ate the three little prawns had to leave the rest and for a price of £7.49 was not impressed, other two starters were fine, main courses were ok, although the burger from the summer special was bland and "triple cooked chips" were thick cut frozen chips ? Maybe your definition is fry them three times? In conclusion food mediocre at best but prices extortionate for what it is, have eaten same quality at a weatherspoons for a third of the price! Won't be returning anytime soon.

rwhitbread1, General Manager at The Wheatsheaf, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2018

Hi Lorna

Dissapointed to hear of your recent food experience. I will speak to my kitchen team to see what we have done wrong here as this is not what I expect from our food quality. Im afraid were slightly tied with our supplier, menus and prices as a chain pub, but your feedback is noted, especially on the king prawn starter.

I believe it was myself that asked if your food was ok on the day as I recall your choices and would have been happy to have compensated you for something you did not enjoy if I knew. I do hope you give us another try and would be happy to see you again. Should you wish to discuss this further please contact me at the pub.

Warm regards

Reviewed 3 June 2018

After reading the previous review thought it only right to advise that we went last Saturday night and as regular diners here, ordered the brilliant value meal of two 9oz rump steaks and chips with 2 medium glasses of very tasty red house wine and all this is only £20. The food was very well cooked as usual. The waitress that served us was very polite and efficient and the two Richard's bang on form as usual. This was despite it being VERY busy with also a lot of people eating or drinking outside. So, a very enjoyable experience as per usual and with the added bonus of the money saving offers on currently unbelievable value for money

rwhitbread1, General Manager at The Wheatsheaf, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2018

Hi Kevin

It is a great deal isnt it! And it was a busy one... keeping Richard number 2 employed for another week :)

It can sometimes affect service when large groups dine outside with no notice, but im very glad we managed to keep our service level up inside with our booked guests. Its something weve been working on since the sun finally shone.

Hope to see you again soon, and many thanks for your lovely review

Richard (1)

Reviewed 3 June 2018

Kept waiting when we arrived for our booked table - told that it was not ready yet. Restaurant not busy, and plenty of free tables that were not booked. Waited quite a while, eventually sat at a free table in the pub area only to see others shown straight through to their tables. When called through, table was wet, chips and other food on the floor - told that children had been eating. Wold have been better to sit us at another table - there were plenty available. Food very average - steak pie had been microwaved (soggy pastry and outrageously hot), vegetables barely lukewarm. Service sporadic. Bill arrived, then waited ages for payment to be taken. Not inspired to return.

Hi there

Thank you for your feedback. Im very disappointing to hear of your experience here. I can absolutely assure you that our pies are not microwaved, they are oven baked - although there was a recent batch with 'soggy bottoms' which was due to overfilling. So apologies for this.

I will speak to the staff on that evening to see what happened as this is certainly not something I would expect to happen here.

I really do hope you will come and join us again and I would be happy to compensate you accordingly, please contact me if you wish to take me up on the offer to show you we are very much better than this.

Regards