“Sunday dinner with the family amazing”
Review of The Talbot Inn

The Talbot Inn
Ranked #5 of 13 Restaurants in Eynsham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: they also do B+B
Reviewed 5 October 2015

Went for Sunday dinner with the family to the Talbot the food was amazing we had burgers and fish and chips and they all were top notch food and big portions and the desserts where amazing delicious and really bad for you so the perfect treat. The service from the 2 girls on shift and the polish gentleman at the end where without fault, funny , friendly and an asset to the restaurant. Thank you to tony, Gemma and the team for another great trip to your amazing restaurant.

foodiebic, Owner at The Talbot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2016

Good morning
Many thanks for this glowing 5 star review. It really makes us happy to read these comments.
Look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 3 September 2015

Each time I have called The Talbot to book either for a party of 12 or just for 2 adding that 2 of us are Vegan and asking can you accommodate us? the answer was always yes and the food was always delicious. We have had an amazing risotto on 2 occasions we have had mild curry and I can't fault the service. Staff are always friendly, the price isn't too steep and the beer is great 10/10. I telephoned just now to make a booking and the sad news is they have a new chef who CAN'T do Vegan food so it's a loss to us and a loss to them! PLEASE GET YOUR OLD CHEF BACK!!!

1  Thank carolyn wheeler C
foodiebic, Owner at The Talbot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2015

Hi

Thanks for your 5 star review.

Just to clarify, we haven't changed our chef.
Previously, we have had plenty of notice to create a worthy vegan meal however, you wanted to book for that day and we didn't have the commodities available. In the past, when you have given us a reasonable time, we go to the supermarkets and wholesalers to pick up the goods. But for this booking, we were unable to get out to do so.
As in the past, we are still happy to cater for you and any other dietry rquirements given enough notice.

I am delighted to read that you rate our food so highly and hope that you will try us again.

Many thanks

Reviewed 15 August 2015

Excellent food and service and I'd highly recommend the lasagne and salmon hollandaise with perfect chips.

Hi Cherry
Many thanks for the 5 star review.
We have a great reputation for our food and we are glad you enjoyed your dinner here

Reviewed 9 August 2015

Numerous staff bouncing around behind bar and possibly on other side of bar... difficult to know exactly "who" to address "enquiry-to-eat" question. Sensed "nerves" in staff - like it was all their first week?

It felt like an effort to establish a starting point with them, such as where we were going to sit, setting up a tab - which was established by taking a bank card (done less and less, in my experience because it implies a lack of trust. If you can't trust your customer - then don't offer a tab for drinks... it barely matter either way for most people, I'd suspect).

Drinks were dealt with by at least two different members of staff...

Outside, on the seated, wooden-decked eating area overlooking a small strip of the Evenlode river, we reviewed an unsophisticated and crowded menu. I went back inside the pub to place our order for food...

Whilst we were seated outside, a member of staff came out and began sweeping the wooden decking... I over heard a customer sat nearby, ask the member of staff if he wanted us to go, as he was clearing up? He said no, that he'd do our area later...

When the food came out, the crispy garlic mushrooms were molten lava hot inside... burning the mouth and lip of my dining partner...

My goat's cheese salad was ok. Nothing to write home about... I could have executed the same, easily, better. To be particular(??), I'd MUCH prefer to apply a salad dressing onto a salad myself.

The member of staff continued sweeping, until my dining partner asked him to stop. The member of staff accepted the request graciously... but I am left stunned that the request was necessary in the first place. Thoughtfulness, consideration, awareness of one's own actions... well, I can't imagine this sort of incident happening again in my life at a restaurant, so will cease with exasperating thoughts...

In summary, the place is lacking a competent, managerial hand.

Whilst not the first time I've been there - it will require a traumatic loss of memory or heavy persuasion to go back.

And yes, yes, yes I am sure you will write it off as an isolated "bad" evening, like most other denying establishments do when in receipt of criticism from customers. Well, so be it Talbot Inn. But I'm not helping fund those "one-offs" again, for you.

foodiebic, Owner at The Talbot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2015

Hi.
Thanks for your review, albeit not a good one.
I'm sorry that you thought the staff were a little edgy - they're generally very good, as you can see in other reviews.
We do get the odd glitch, as in any establishment.
As to our menu, we find it extremely popular. Lots of choice of pub fayre - not gastro, not fussy, not cheffy. But that's intentional. The Talbot is a seasonal business and as such, covers can vary between 300 on a quiet week up to 700 on a busy week. The menu has been written to offer lots of choice whilst being manageable with the space and equipment we have. And generally, it's well received.
We're presently growing our food trade by 25-30% on last year so your review really caught my eye.
Interestingly, your reviews tend to be 1, 2 or 3 stars. I'm amazed that we only mustered 1 star from you though.
I don't know how to respond to your criticisms on the food. Deep fried mushrooms, emerging from a vat of oil at 300 degrees are going to be hot? I'd be more concerned if they weren't to be honest.
We dress our salads - I think that's the way it should be. I will include this detail in the description on our next menu print so a customer can ask for the dressing to be served seperately should they prefer.
I've spoken to the staff and asked them not to sweep etc. when customers are present.
Please could you email me at info@talbotoxford.co.uk with some more details and a phone number that I can call you on to discuss your points further?

Reviewed 2 August 2015

We set off for my husband's birthday weekend to Oxford - not expecting the Ritz but a clean 'economy' room. We have stayed in many Youth Hostels around the UK and let me tell you these are like the Ritz in comparison to this dreadful place. We entered the bar area to collect our keys and were led through a doorway with an electrical box with tape all around it - we thought 'that's not a good sign'....the room I can only describe as not fit for human habitation. Dirty, stained duvet covers and filthy carpet...with two large holes in the wall! - the icing on the cake was the dirty shared bathroom at which point my husband said 'i'm sorry but this is a disgrace'. We then went immediately downstairs and my husband said we cannot stay here. Absolutely nothing was done about our complaint and we were told they are advertised as 'student digs' - I didn't see that phrase on the website only 'ecomony'...I fail to see the correlation. We were not offered a different room and my husband was told 'well we will take the payment from the room anyway'. Fantastic customer service...not. So we have now driven 220 miles for nothing. Thanks a lot The Talbot Inn...avoid like the plague.

foodiebic, Owner at The Talbot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2015

I find reviews like this hard to stomach to be honest.
I will happily accept a poor review if it's factual and fair.
You booked an ECONOMY room, twin with shared facilities.
A short while after checking in your partner came down to complain and stated that you had booked a double room with en suite facilities. Could there be an element of you covering your embarrassment in letting your partner down by economising?
Our rooms are accurately described and represent fantastic value for money. At £60, the room you had was adequate. I agree that the ECONOMY rooms will never win any fancy awards however, they would challenge in the value for money stakes.
Our hotel runs at around 97% occupancy and we enjoy great levels of repeat custom. We monitor our rates with comparable hotels daily and we offer rates that are always competitive.
One of the difficulties we have is the distinct difference between the newer, modern, purpose built rooms in the Wharf lodge and the older, much more simple rooms in the original building. We overcome this by accurately describing the rooms in order to manage expectations. As you can see from our reviews that the majority of our customers are happy with our offer here.
I'm sorry that you booked the economy room. If you'd spent a little more money, I'm sure you'd have been delighted with the better standard in Wharf Lodge.
I'll make no apologies this time as you have clearly booked on a budget and expected our more expensive rooms.