“Unpleasant experience”

Maxi's
Ranked #11 of 14 Restaurants in Manzanillo
Cuisines: Costa Rican
Reviewed 12 May 2017

Well the location is just perfect, and, from the outside at least, this place looked very inviting. A very Costa Rican atmosphere both inside, and out on the beach. A hot and humid afternoon, perfect for a cold beer (or two). The service was reasonable enough, (they were very busy) and we did meet the man himself. First problem was the food: pretty tasteless, poor quality and small servings. A reggae band played while we ate and they were entertaining enough. Second problem was the price. I have never before paid so much for so little ( that I can remember, anyway). Upshot: Do yourself a favour and do what the locals do here for sustenance.... Bring your own .

Reviewed 2 March 2017

The beer prices are too high, the food is unfortunately inconsistent, and the food prices are too high. The music (mostly reggae) is too loud and played all day and night it seems) (I wonder what people in town think about this as there are obviously no noise restrictions?) I It has a primo location and has many high reviews (there is one particular over the top praise review of Maxi's from two guys on YoTube whose sole job appears to be to review places in Costa Rica and I have to suspect they were "comped" their meal as they claimed this was one of the best meals they ever had in Costa Rica - I simply cannot believe that having eaten in many truly excellent Costa Rican restaurants and sodas). I just don't get all the hype about this place. You will note that the locals will stand outside when a football match is on - they can't afford the beer prices - or they will sit inside to watch and nurse one beer for a really, really long time. Manzanillo has a superb beach and a great wildlife refuge - the town itself could be so much more. You will also notice if in Manzanillo town on a weekend when numerous Costa Rican's come to the beach that very few, if any, frequent Maxi's or any of the local soda's or supermarkets. They bring in their own food and drinks.

Reviewed 2 November 2016

We were looking forward to my birthday lunch here on the second floor overlooking the beach. How disappointing. If you like your service with attitude - lots of it - then this is the place for you. Couldn't even raise a smile from the waitresses. I found it quite funny, then very rude and my husband felt intimidated. The vegetarian curry consisted of onions and two slices of undercooked pepper. There was a nice live band that pitched up just as we were leaving. Shame they didn't come earlier, might just have made up for the dismal atmosphere.

Reviewed 1 March 2016

The second floor is a nice place to have a drink/beer and some tapas looking over the beach and sea. It just before the Manzanilla reserve.

Reviewed 4 November 2015

I had a lunch planned by a company for my girlfriends birthday here. The table they gave us was upstairs which was nice, but the service was terrible and the food was mediocre. I would go somewhere else to have good food. Sodas Ricisimo in Puerto Viejo was much better.