“Disappointed ”

Star at Sidcup Place
Ranked #29 of 112 Restaurants in Sidcup
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Visited today for a family birthday meal. Loved the decor but once seated we waited 15 mins for someone to take a drinks order no-one came so we approached a staff member. Food took 45 mins to arrive and was cold or only warm. The steak on my salad was well-done but I ordered medium and is wasn’t just cold, it was as though it had been cooked and sat in the fridge whilst everyone else’s food was cooked. My sons burger bun was rock hard and his burger cremated.
The only offer was to have all the meals re-cooked which we declined, given the time we had already waited, so most of the food went to waste.
The waitress was lovely and for her service alone we gave her a tip but the kitchen staff really let the celebration down.
I won’t be rushing back, which is a shame. Had the restaurant been busy we could have been more forgiving but there were only 3 other tables filled!!

1  Thank rachael b
Jack E, Manager at Star at Sidcup Place, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2018

Good Afternoon Rachael,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review following your recent visit to The Star.

Is great to hear you had fantastic service on the day and we have fed your comments back to the team.

I'm sorry that our usual high standards with regards to our food quality and speed of service fell well short of our expectations on the day of your visit and we thank you for bringing this to our attention. We welcome all feedback both positive and negative as it is a vital tool to enable us to constantly review differences aspects of our business in order to improve our offer and give all of our guests a fantastic experience. We have workshopped your comments with our kitchen team and we will learn and improve as a result, although I appreciate that does not detract from the poor experience you had, we have taken your comments very seriously and measures are in place to prevent any of the above issues reoccurring.

We hope we can welcome you back to The Star again soon and we're confident we will restore your faith.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Since opening my wife & I have to the restaurant about once a week. Between 12 & 6 they offer a cheap menu, which has plenty of choice on it. In fact my wife likes the restaurant so much she booked it to take her friends out for her birthday. The food is always hot and well cooked, aside from the cheap menu, the main menu is very varied and great for a quiet night/lunch or a special celebration. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and the waitresses in particular are very helpful and friendly. Today we were served by Romana and despite the restaurant being exceptionally busy she was polite, helpful and cheerful and made another visit a great experience. The only down side to our visit today was i booked by phone this morning, but when we arrived, they could not find the booking I made. Do not know how that can happen, as i was told the table had been booked. If you have not yet visited go along. The restaurant has been completely refurbished and there is a great atmosphere.

Good Afernoon,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a fantastic review following you recent visit!

Romana is a fantastic member of our team, and she is now one of our longest serving team members, her fantastic customer service has always been consistently great and I'm very glad you are able to recognise this, we will be sure to pass on your lovely comments.

I'm sorry you had an issue with the booking system, it was in its very early stages on the day of your visit and we're confident we've now ironed out any teething issues with it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Star again soon!

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Me and my family went to The Star At Sidcup to have a family meal this Easter weekend and were really delighted to have such a brilliant time! Shown to our table by the really polite and friendly Jack, then waited upon by the equally as efficient James. He was a really charming and helpful young man, and a real credit to the company. He made us feel very welcome and ensured that, along with the wide variety of excellent drinks and dishes, we could never have had a better time! We wanted for nothing, 10 out of 10! Thoroughly recommended! We will be back!!

1  Thank 82Sammyboy35

Good Afernoon,

James is a fantastic member of our team and I'm very glad you are able to recognise this, we will be sure to pass on your lovely comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Star again soon!

Reviewed 4 April 2018

My husband took me here as a treat, he has previously visited and enjoyed his food and the overall experience. However today was a different mater and very disappointing. We ordered the baked Camembert to share as a starter. The first one arrived and was stone cold, they offered to replace it, the second one duly arrived and was not cooked, still cold and hard in the middle, so I returned it to the kitchen. The waitress duly appeared to tell us that it was in fact cooked and gooey in the middle and that what was hard was the outside rind. So instead of apologising for the under done dish, she proceeded to argue with us. I have cooked many Camembert at home and certainly can tell the difference between cooked or not and certainly cold or not. We gave up on a starter at this point. My husband's steak was good, my avocado salad ok, but the leaves were large and tough, nothing like the picture on the menu, as I was informed it would be.

Overall a very disappointing visit, and in my view, rude staff. This may well have been a one off, but it certainly spoilt my treat. We did ask for our 2 glasses of wine to be taken off our bill, which was done, but I would have preferred to have had a nice meal and paid for everything.

Jack E, Manager at Star at Sidcup Place, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Good Afternoon,

We appreciate all feedback both positive and negative as it is a vital tool to allow us to constantly review and improve our standards of food and service in order to delight our guests.

It's great to hear that your husband enjoyed his previous visits with us but I'm sorry that this was not the case on your latest visit.

I apologise if you feel our team were rude to you, we would never set out to upset a guest in this way I can assure you. With regards to the Camembert I am extremely sorry that it was not cooked to your liking, the first one that you sent back was discarded without question and a fresh one produced for you. Once the second one came back to the kitchen it was important for our chefs and manager on duty to review the dish and double check that it had been cooked to specification, which it was. Although I appreciate it was not to your liking it is always important for us to have transparency with our guests and that is why the waitress informed you that the dish was cooked to our specifications, this is important so that if you are not happy with the dish then you can either ask for it to be cooked for a longer/shorter time where applicable or simply choose another dish next time you dine with us as otherwise we could upset you again in the future by sending out the dish once again not to your liking. I hope this goes some way to explaining our procedures and I again apologise if you felt this was rude it really wasn't our intention.

I have also fed your comments back to our menu development team who will take all comments in consideration and revise/review specifications of our dishes as they see fit in response to guest and team feedback.

I hope we can welcome you back to The Star again soon and replicate your husbands previous great experiences as opposed to your recent poor one.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Arrived with family for an Easter Sunday lunch. Shown efficiently to our table but we immediately noticed the room was without heating compared to the rest of the building. Since several of us were feeling the chill we asked the manager for a change of table. We were told we could not be changed as there were limited tables for 6 available. We asked for temporary heating, but it could not be provided. We should have left, but we were hungry and knew not much else would be available on that day.

When we came to leave, we passed a numbrr of tables for six, unoccupied. Quite honestly thr food was good anf the service of our waitress, but since the management were aware of the heating issue something should have been done to make it good. A good proportion of diners in our room were forced to keep their outer coats on.

Jack E, Manager at Star at Sidcup Place, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent visit.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the food and service but I am sorry that the temperature of the building left a dampener on your experience.

Unfortunately despite the building having a huge footprint we actually only have 160 restaurant covers, this means that at peak times seating plans need to be carefully thought out and run to strict timelines to enable us to fit all of our bookings in. Again due to the size of the building it does take time to warm up and I'm sorry that during your visit the heat was not what it should have been, we will be reviewing our heating and making adjustments to ensure we do not upset any more guests.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope to see you again at The Star.