“A truly homely, welcoming place in beautiful surroundings” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Elephant Corridor Coorg

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Siddapura
Elephant Corridor Coorg
Ranked #1 of 5 Siddapura B&B and Inns
Modena, Italy
“A truly homely, welcoming place in beautiful surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

I found this place by doing an Internet search for home-stays in Coorg/Kodagu. Most entries sounded very business like, describing the accommodation, facilities etc, while Elephant Corridor sounded like you would really be staying WITH a family - their entry was so friendly and welcoming - and I was right!

To start with, our hosts, Nimmi and Viju, were able to organise a taxi from their end to pick us up from Mysore and we (my friend and I) took the whole day to arrive, stopping off at the Bylakuppe Tibetan Settlement to see the "Golden Temple", Nisargadhama picnic spot, the beautiful Amanvana Spa (for a quick lunch), and the Dubare Elephant Camp, along the way.

Arriving just before sunset, we were pleased to see a pretty place set in a luxuriant garden full of flowers, which was in turn set within the coffee estate. Large trees and coffee bushes extended right near to the guest house wall. We were warmly welcomed and asked if we wanted some tea to settle us in. The room was a good size, as was the attached bathroom, and there was a nice veranda at the front to sit on and enjoy the view to the garden. The guest building is purpose built and just next door to the main house, while out the back are the kitchen and kitchen garden. There are many homely touches, such as hammocks on the veranda and magazines to read. We were duly inspected by their two dogs.

Dinner was eaten with our hosts Nimmi and Viju, and what a spread was laid on - both meat and fish dishes, as well as vegetables, rice preparations or paratha, and dessert. We were pleased to sample local dishes, and there were ample quantities of everything. After dinner we were treated to a nightcap and an explanation of coffee cultivation by Viju.

The next morning we had breakfast in the gazebo, where it seems meals are usually taken when it is not raining, which it had been the previous night. Again, a huge and delicious spread greeted us - a local steamed rice preparation that I forget the name of, with sambar and chutney, in addition to toast, butter, homemade jams (delicious banana jam!) and eggs, fresh fruit, and tea and coffee. Frankly, after what amounted to a brunch, you would not need to eat much lunch, seeing as dinner is once more ample and toothsome.

With the use of the same hire car and nice driver, we toured the area in and around Madikeri. It was raining incessantly, but we still managed to enjoy the scenery along the way, the thundering Abbi falls, the tombs of Gadduge, the Raja Seat garden (it was rather misty hence we didn't have much of a view), the Omkareshwara Temple, and a walk around the town to do a little shopping.

Our last day was spent locally - pottering around, going for a walk nearby and taking photos. We were informed that elephants do regularly visit the area and have been known to come right up to the house on occasion, hence the name Elephant Corridor. Our two days were however less eventful on that score!

Before finishing, I would like to address some of the points made by the previous reviewer (timetohangupmyboots) who wrote a rather rude and very negative piece. S/he says that -

"... a person comes to a coffee plantation in Coorg for a vacation wanting peace and quietness - will someone please tell the hosts that?"

My reply would be that one chooses a home-stay precisely in order to stay in a family environment, with people, and that includes sharing meals and conversation with them. I was clear I didn't want to stay in a hotel in Coorg, where everything would have been impersonal and no one would have "bothered" us or even bothered WITH us! It struck me that Nimmi and Viju are well travelled, gracious people who are worldly wise and a polite request to them that you wished to be left on your own outside of meal times would have been gladly heeded.

This next bit -

"(PS - If you are among those kind of people who look for a disco and video games at a holiday resort, you will love this place!) No way I would ever recommend this place (other than of course, to my enemies !!)"

is so gratuitously offensive and off the mark, that it makes me suspect that the reviewer is malafide not a genuine visitor. Disco and video games? Utter rubbish!

In short, I would heartily recommend this place if you are looking for a friendly home-stay in beautiful surroundings, where you will feel well looked after and pampered even! (Make sure your belt has an extra hole for the buckle...)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank Sudie60
yatra4u, Owner at Elephant Corridor Coorg, responded to this review, 27 September 2010
Dear Guest,
Thanks a lot for all your support and I think you have said it all regarding the previous review! I need not say anything more.

In fact I have NOT had a solo traveller ever, in my past so many years of running this and no one from London recently, so this previous review is some spurious review to sabotage the holidays of those looking for a good place. I am proud of my place and my treatment!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

Cons -
Chatterbox hosts (I wanted a homestay - not the incessant noise of home!) mistaking excessive talk for hospitality (which I think suits all these people who have posted great reviews about this place - reminds me not to rely completely on internet reviews).

Pros -
The place is well located, excellent surrounds, rooms are very comfortable. Food is good (local cuising). The unfortunate part was I was forced to eat WITH the hosts - which would have been ok if it were not for their incessant irritating banter. That spoiled everything! I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to realise that a person comes to a coffee plantation in Coorg for a vacation wanting peace and quietness - will someone please tell the hosts that?

Be careful of homestays liek these - sometimes you get sensible hosts (and I have seen some really nice ones in Sikkim. Assam, Maharashtra, Kerala and Rajasthan), sometimes you get raving lunatics like in elephant corridor (why was the host family continuously talking about the sex escapades of some middle eastern king??)

Go there if you like nosey staff , do not go if you like peace.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank timetohangupmyboots
yatra4u, Owner at Elephant Corridor Coorg, responded to this review, 23 September 2010
We are very sorry that one person of all the guests we have had should feel this way. May be such people would be happier in a hotel.
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

EC is a place filled with warmth exuded by its hosts Viju and Nimmi. The estate is wonderful, the rooms are clean and tidy. We were made to feel at home with Viju conversing with us in our native language! We went on a small family holiday away from the hustle-bustle of Bangalore and what more could we ask for than a stay at a peaceful estate and warm hosts who welcomed us with open arms and shared with us many of their experiences. We had a two and a half year old child with us, and his needs were taken care of completely by the hosts. Nimmi's home made fruit jams are excellent. The pineapple jam is to die for! I would certainly recommend this place for people traveling with family or with friends.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Durga626
yatra4u, Owner at Elephant Corridor Coorg, responded to this review, 5 September 2010
Thanks a ton for all yr support! You were nice guests to have too! Welcome back anytime! We will do our best to make it better and different!
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

After a troublesome time at our previous home stay we managed to get a last minute booking at ECC, and we weren't disappointed. Vijju uncle & Nimmi aunty gave us clear directions to get to their estate, and where we could have lunch (since they don't serve lunch unless asked for). When we entered the estate, they welcomed us, and gave us our room (Manomay). The room was very very clean, and the bedding was great. They have 24 hrs hot water, and this has to be one of the few home stays which offer this convenience. All other home stays either do not offer 24 hrs hot water, or you need to go to a common bathroom for hot water.

We rested for sometime, and then headed for dinner. Being a predominantly wheat consuming vegetarian, I wasn't quite happy with the rice spread. However, the dal was so tasty, I immediately changed my mind, and devoured the tasty food. The dessert was a specialty as well.

The breakfast was heavenly. The best thing ever. We had dosa, and delicious chutney & sambar. Then there was bread, and delicious home made jam of different flavors. The home made butter was a killer. I had one of the best breakfasts ever. We then headed for our day trip which included the elephant camp at Dubarre, followed by rafting at Dubarre. Our next stop was at a Tibetan monastery followed by Nisarghadama. We went to ECC after this.

That night we had paratha for dinner, and delicious kheer/payasam for dessert. We had a sneak preview of their honeymoon suite.

The next morning, we had delicious breakfast again, and checked out. We truly had a great stay at ECC.

If there is one reason not to choose the place it is because of lack of privacy within the rooms. The place is so silent, that you need to whisper while talking to your partner. Otherwise, anyone standing outside can hear you. We could easily hear what people in the next room were talking, and we told them about it.

However, I think that has more to do with the entire location being so calm, and there isn't much one can do about it, and I wouldn't let something like that spoil the great time I had over here.

A must stay if you visit Coorg!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yofobubu
yatra4u, Owner at Elephant Corridor Coorg, responded to this review, 28 August 2010
Thanks a ton for all the support! We really wish we could do something about the silence of the place. Always thought the birds took care of that job, but of course at night we can't expect the birds to do that part. Yes, as another guest once said "you can hear the silence!"
bangalore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2010

We had a wonderfully relaxing stay at the Elephant corridor two days ago! Did not feel like coming back to the city after that relaxing stay :-) We traveled with my family (wife + 2 kids) plus my parents, so we booked two rooms (Avigna and Manomay). The rooms were very nice and spacious, although they were musty and damp-smelling due to the rains. I dont know if something could have been done to keep them drier and less moist-smelling.
The hosts were very nice and provided wholesome meals (breakfast and dinner).
There was a slight discrepancy in the rates charged to us .. we had booked via Mahindra Homestays and there was no indication of any extra charge for children whereas, we were charged INR 850 for a child (2 nights). When I brought up this discrepancy, Mr Chengapa insisted that the website clearly states the charge for a child (please see attached below) and even dismissively suggested that we need not pay the amount if it so rankled us. I thought it was unfair to put the onus of that charge on the guests instead of trying to rectify the mistake. I also got the impression that we were being morally blackmailed (!!) when Mr Chengapa pointed out that he was charging us for only one child instead of two!! Sorry .. but we should not have been charged for ANY child :-)

Below is the excerpt from the website:

Additional Info

Full day INR 1,800
Half day INR 1,100

Extra Bed
Adult INR 850
*Costs are indicative only.

As can be seen above, the extra bed charge if for ADULTS and not children and we had booked two rooms for 4 adults.

In any case, I would not let this discrepancy mar anyone's vacation ... you can have a wonderful time in Coorg :-)

Thanks

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank blrtraveler2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Siddapura
4.9 km away
10.4 km away
Kadkani River Resort
Kadkani River Resort
#1 of 1 in Ammathi

Been to Elephant Corridor Coorg? Share your experiences!