See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 August 2010

On searching for a farmstay in Canterbury, I was lucky enough to find a quiet gem near the small town of Oxford. The hosts, Pam and Mike, were so friendly and their home warm and inviting.

The scenery was awe inspiring with beautiful nature walks in the hills of the farm. Being so close to nature, feeding the Alpacas, petting the tame sheep and participating in hand-milking a cow--"Quite an Experience."

Lasting memories of a beautiful New Zealand

Diane, Oregon

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2010

We loved our stay at Mingary and loved the friendly farm animals, the room was comfortable and clean and loved the home cooking. We will be back.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2010

This is the only farmstay that we have ever done, and we really loved it. The owners were very friendly and accommodating. They invited us for dinner, although that was not included in the room, and made us feel like one of the family. They had sheep, pigs, cattle, and llamas on the farm. The room was very comfortable and was en suite.

Mingary was really out in the middle of nowhere, which is exactly what we wanted. In spending two weeks in NZ, I of course saw the night sky, but I never saw the Southern sky the way I did at Mingary. The owner took me out for a wildlife stroll after dark, and after about 20 minutes I looked up, and WOW, I had never seen a sky like that before. There was no light pollution--zero.

I would highly recommend this place. Very restful. Very peaceful. Very fun.

Make sure you get good directions--we got a little lost finding the place.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple