Here is my long overdue review:
The Facts that you won't find on the Sea Wyf web page. We rented this place through www.villascaribe.com, not the Silver Sands web site.
- Silver Sands is a private beach with 120 villas and cottages. They range from 2 bedroom cottages like we had, to 8 bedroom villas with in-ground pools. There is 24-hour security and the area is gated. Plenty of security guards at all times. No issues with security at this location.
- There is a small community of carvers and vendors a 5-minute walk from the entrance gate. Ask the security guard to point you to Fisherman’s Beach.
- There is a small town called Duncan that is a short 2-minute cab ($1 USD) ride from the entrance gate, if you don’t want to shop at the general store and would like to experience the local culture. There you will find Chens grocery store and many fresh produce vendors. However, most of the cooks in the other villas will shop for you (and provide a menu) so you don’t have to worry about shopping. Our cook did not do this.
THE COTTAGE - SEA WYF
- Only a 15 second walk to the beach, which is very convenient, but then again no place in Sliver Sands is very far from the beach.
- Only a 10 second walk (or 8 meters) from the beach bar
- Only a 15 second walk to the general store
- A very high, non-stop traffic area with the road immediately outside the cottage. Many delivery trucks for the bar and general store, tour buses stopping to drop off and pick up guests, many vehicles stopping at the store for shopping or pickups and drop offs. It is just a very, very, busy location.
- It is also a noisy location due to the very close proximity to the bar and the store. It would be okay if you don't have kids that go to bed before 10 or 11 pm, when the music stops and the traffic noise is not an issue.
- Once the bar closes you hear everyone leaving right outside your window until 11 pm or later including the DJs very noisy exhaust system.
- It is old and run down and has not received the maintenance and upkeep that the other places in Silver Sands have. We looked at four other places while we were there and they were MUCH nicer and cleaner, for less money, the same money and more money, take your pick.
- There is an ant problem in the kitchen and both washrooms. I managed to eradicate the ones in our bathroom but the kitchen ants kept finding new ways in around the window (see the attached picture.)
- The screens are very poor fitting and allow mosquitoes and large winged ants to get inside. We killed many!
- The ceiling fans are old, dirty and unbalanced. Not safe to run the one as it might vibrate off.
- Many of the shutters on the windows do not work, as they are old and rusted.
- It would have helped with the noise from the bar etc. if the windows facing the bar could close or were of a newer style that could close and at least block some of the noise.
- The pots and pans are old, as is the cutlery. The frying pans are hunk on rusty nails and hooks on a large wooden board.
- The dishes and glasses were nice.
- The drain in one bathroom was plugged and consequently the shower floor filled up with water each time you took a shower.
- SAFETY: There is no hand rail on the stairs (three steps) that lead from the cottage down to the road. This was an issue for one senior in our family as there was no rail for her to hold. The steps are tile and are slippery when wet.
- SAFETY: The tiles on the cottage deck area are also slippery when wet.
- On the main deck right outside the cottage there is no shelter from the sun such as an umbrella. There are chairs and beach chairs but no shelter.
- SAFETY: Although there is a fence in front of the cottage along the road, there is no gate at the top of the stairs for privacy or to keep the little ones from falling down the 3 steps, or walking down the 3 steps immediately onto the road.
- The Silver Sands beach is pretty nice. It is not very big, but then it is not very busy.
OVERALL VALUE AND ASSESSMENT OF THIS PROPERTY
- Definitely not worth the money. For the price we paid, this cottage (it is not a villa) is way over priced. There are many other places priced even less that this one that offer so much more.
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|