“Very nice, not perfect but very nice.”

Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sprowston
Reviewed 30 August 2017

My wife and I arrived at the hotel in the middle of August, first impressions were very good, an elegant drive with views of the surrounding gold course leads to the front courtyard and reception.
The reception staff were polite, friendly and efficient and it wasn't long before we were in our room. The main elevated corridor overlooks the swimming pool (if you're not comfortable with people walking to and from their rooms seeing you in your swimming costume be aware, they can, very clearly).
The room was clean and well presented with a well lit bathroom featuring power shower and bath. There were two televisions, one in the living room space, the other at the foot of the bed, both are linked and share the same channel, the view from our room was of the wing perpendicular to ours so not that scenic.
We requested a continental breakfast to be brought to our room, this was where one of the few shortcomings came to the fore, it was missing butter and jam for the toast and the milk was completely inadequate for the breakfast provided. The young lady who delivered it was re-summoned and very apologetic, to her credit she brought a bountiful supply of the missing items most promptly, to her detriment she told us the error was because she 'was in too much of a hurry'. Whoops.
The only other minor issue was the toilet roll holder which was loose which was more of an irritation than complaint worthy.
The Golf Club bar seemed to me to be rather spartan and lacking character, a case of function over form methinks, the hotel bar was also little better, not what I'd call 'charming'.
Overall it was a nice hotel, not perfect by any measure but certainly nice, it has classical architecture in places and has a pleasant atmosphere to it, I didn't come away swearing a return visit but neither did I leave swearing not to, it was ...nice. Three stars.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Davina M, Manager at Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2017

Thank you for posting your review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and sorry that there were a few things that need to be improved. We endeavour to pride ourselves on creating memorable stays for our guests and I have shared your comments with the managers concerned to ensure that our guests receive the best possible service.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sprowston Manor in the future.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

Just returned from a two night break, first in years so looking at the pictures looked a lovely place. Positives, yes, beautiful looking building, superb grounds and very polite, friendly staff. However, for £150 for a room was a little disappointed. Smaller than hoped, a little tired, with paper peeling off the bathroom wall and marks on door. Out of control, I imagine, but the room above might as well been inside ours as 2 not very great night sleeps owing to hearing every single movement ( literally) flush of the toilet etc etc..
We had a meal in the restaurant which was massively overpriced and drinks 10.50 for a class of wine ?? . On the brighter side, ate at the Cafe Zest and couldn't fault it, was lovely and reasonably priced, one little point is would have been nice to have a little music playing outside, was a beautiful evening with lots enjoying the sunshine.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Davina M, Manager at Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2017

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry for the issues concerned and I have shared you comments with the relevant managers to ensure improvement is made. I am pleased that you enjoyed your dining experience in Zest and we welcome your feedback. I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the future for a better experience.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

I'm a regular Marriott customer and have stayed in many of their hotels over the years.

I will start off with the good:
- Hotel is set upon lovely grounds, surrounded by an 18 hole golf course
- Building itself is characteristic and traditional
- Rooms are modern, clean and spacious
- Staff are friendly and welcoming (especially reception and maids)

The not so good:
- The hotel restaurant was not worth the visit. We waited over 35 minutes for our starter. We had to ask twice for our drinks which took at least 20 minutes to arrive. Desert was almost forgotten until I requested the waitress to find out where it was - her response: "there is a backlog". Great, but at least notify me when taking my order. We had to rearrange plans as we left so late (2 hours and 30 minutes in total).
- The main bar (opposite the restaurant) was also a complete let down. We waited 15 minutes and the bar wasn't busy at the time (we were the only ones at the bar). The barman acknowledged us and said "I will be with you in a moment". Whilst waiting, another customer came up to the bar and placed another order for his table. At this point a colleague joined the barman and instead of taking our order, he asked him to complete the order of the person behind us. We ended up waiting another 5 minutes before giving up (still hadn't taken our order at this point). We didn't end up having pre-drinks before setting off for our meal and to be totally honest I was appalled by the service.
- Breakfast wasn't great. Wide selection but scrambled eggs were very dry and my girlfriend found a hair in her food.

Conclusion:
I've never stayed in a Marriott where the service was so below-par. I expected more; especially haven driven over 150 miles to visit this hotel. I would recommend the hotel for accommodation and use of the facilities (spa was great) but I would highly recommend eating/drinking elsewhere. You really do expect much more when paying the requested restaurant/bar prices. Use TripAdvisor to find some local restaurants. This is what we did on our second night and not only was the food better but it was also around 50% cheaper.

Room Tip: rooms 210-220 seem to be a good location. Very quiet and overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting your review.

I sincerely apologise that your recent stay was not to our usual standard and I am sorry for the individual issues concerned.

We are committed to providing memorable experiences for our guests and we would like the opportunity to welcome you back in the future for a better stay. I will be sharing your comments with the managers concerned to ensure that improvement is made.

Reviewed 26 August 2017

Stayed as we played golf

The golf was excellent we had a tee off time but was allowed to go off early the staff were all excellent and re gripped a club for me and was very so helpful and showed us the club house and what was available including a shower if we wanted
the hotel room was very nice and again we were very pleased
will look to re book when staying in norfolk

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed here with a group of friends for a couple of days.
The service throughout the hotel was excellent, the staff very polite and helpful. The last time I had stayed here was over 30 ago, and it still retains the charm that it had all those years ago, it has of course been modernised to high standard.
I would recommend this to you all.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sprowston
4.6 km away
29 km away
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#1 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!