“Hotel and facilities great, shame about the restaurant and bar service”

Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sprowston
Reviewed 28 August 2017

I'm a regular Marriott customer and have stayed in many of their hotels over the years.

I will start off with the good:
- Hotel is set upon lovely grounds, surrounded by an 18 hole golf course
- Building itself is characteristic and traditional
- Rooms are modern, clean and spacious
- Staff are friendly and welcoming (especially reception and maids)

The not so good:
- The hotel restaurant was not worth the visit. We waited over 35 minutes for our starter. We had to ask twice for our drinks which took at least 20 minutes to arrive. Desert was almost forgotten until I requested the waitress to find out where it was - her response: "there is a backlog". Great, but at least notify me when taking my order. We had to rearrange plans as we left so late (2 hours and 30 minutes in total).
- The main bar (opposite the restaurant) was also a complete let down. We waited 15 minutes and the bar wasn't busy at the time (we were the only ones at the bar). The barman acknowledged us and said "I will be with you in a moment". Whilst waiting, another customer came up to the bar and placed another order for his table. At this point a colleague joined the barman and instead of taking our order, he asked him to complete the order of the person behind us. We ended up waiting another 5 minutes before giving up (still hadn't taken our order at this point). We didn't end up having pre-drinks before setting off for our meal and to be totally honest I was appalled by the service.
- Breakfast wasn't great. Wide selection but scrambled eggs were very dry and my girlfriend found a hair in her food.

Conclusion:
I've never stayed in a Marriott where the service was so below-par. I expected more; especially haven driven over 150 miles to visit this hotel. I would recommend the hotel for accommodation and use of the facilities (spa was great) but I would highly recommend eating/drinking elsewhere. You really do expect much more when paying the requested restaurant/bar prices. Use TripAdvisor to find some local restaurants. This is what we did on our second night and not only was the food better but it was also around 50% cheaper.

Room Tip: rooms 210-220 seem to be a good location. Very quiet and overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Davina M, Manager at Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2017

Thank you for posting your review.

I sincerely apologise that your recent stay was not to our usual standard and I am sorry for the individual issues concerned.

We are committed to providing memorable experiences for our guests and we would like the opportunity to welcome you back in the future for a better stay. I will be sharing your comments with the managers concerned to ensure that improvement is made.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,104)

Reviewed 26 August 2017

Stayed as we played golf

The golf was excellent we had a tee off time but was allowed to go off early the staff were all excellent and re gripped a club for me and was very so helpful and showed us the club house and what was available including a shower if we wanted
the hotel room was very nice and again we were very pleased
will look to re book when staying in norfolk

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed here with a group of friends for a couple of days.
The service throughout the hotel was excellent, the staff very polite and helpful. The last time I had stayed here was over 30 ago, and it still retains the charm that it had all those years ago, it has of course been modernised to high standard.
I would recommend this to you all.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2017

Booked a day experience to utilise the leisure facilities on offer. Found them to be very good and to a high standard. Swimming pool looked bigger in the pictures however it was big enough for me!!!
The sauna and steam room were great.
Changing rooms were clean and tidy.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
As a first time visitor i was grateful to have read that it is best to bring your own robes.
Only small negative is they could do with a few more signs around the place directing you to the pool and where to leave dirty towels etc.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michelle P
Reviewed 20 August 2017

This is a lovely hotel right on a golf course. Car parking is not a problem. Reception check in and out was easy. Breakfast was wonderful and very relaxed. Excellent staff, who could not do enough for you. Great fresh fruit choice as well as a 'fry up' section and also bread, croissants, chocolate twists. They even had proper maple syrup. The pool was fantastic. it was open till 11pm and so was very quiet in the evening for a late swim / jacuzzi. On one section you could do lane swimming with another section for kids. The room was very nice, lovely bathroom and very large TV. On Monday morning a gentleman was playing the piano outside the dining room for the guests which was a nice touch. All in all you get what you pay for here. I would certainly return.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sprowston
4.6 km away
6.9 km away
The Norfolk Mead Hotel
The Norfolk Mead Hotel
#1 of 1 in Coltishall

Been to Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!