I'm a regular Marriott customer and have stayed in many of their hotels over the years.
I will start off with the good:
- Hotel is set upon lovely grounds, surrounded by an 18 hole golf course
- Building itself is characteristic and traditional
- Rooms are modern, clean and spacious
- Staff are friendly and welcoming (especially reception and maids)
The not so good:
- The hotel restaurant was not worth the visit. We waited over 35 minutes for our starter. We had to ask twice for our drinks which took at least 20 minutes to arrive. Desert was almost forgotten until I requested the waitress to find out where it was - her response: "there is a backlog". Great, but at least notify me when taking my order. We had to rearrange plans as we left so late (2 hours and 30 minutes in total).
- The main bar (opposite the restaurant) was also a complete let down. We waited 15 minutes and the bar wasn't busy at the time (we were the only ones at the bar). The barman acknowledged us and said "I will be with you in a moment". Whilst waiting, another customer came up to the bar and placed another order for his table. At this point a colleague joined the barman and instead of taking our order, he asked him to complete the order of the person behind us. We ended up waiting another 5 minutes before giving up (still hadn't taken our order at this point). We didn't end up having pre-drinks before setting off for our meal and to be totally honest I was appalled by the service.
- Breakfast wasn't great. Wide selection but scrambled eggs were very dry and my girlfriend found a hair in her food.
I've never stayed in a Marriott where the service was so below-par. I expected more; especially haven driven over 150 miles to visit this hotel. I would recommend the hotel for accommodation and use of the facilities (spa was great) but I would highly recommend eating/drinking elsewhere. You really do expect much more when paying the requested restaurant/bar prices. Use TripAdvisor to find some local restaurants. This is what we did on our second night and not only was the food better but it was also around 50% cheaper.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy a luxury countryside escape at the Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club. Located in Norwich, England, our guest rooms offer a seamless blend of historic elegance and modern comfort. We offer a world-class golf course, on-site spa and a variety of event venues, perfect for any travel needs. Book a memorable vacation at our hotel now. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd, Booking.com, lastminute.com.au, Marriott, Agoda, Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Hooroo Pty Ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Norwich
- Norfolk Marriott