“Just be there and enjoy!”
Review of Hunter Valley YHA

Hunter Valley YHA
Singapore
“Just be there and enjoy!”
Reviewed 10 November 2011

My first YHA stay and only for a night. I travelled alone so I took the room with the ensuite. I was given a room good for 3 person, a double bed decker. The washroom is rather small but was sufficient. It's a simple room with no tv and even aircon, luckily I was there in the cold weather. YHA is a DIY concept, from making yr own breakfast to removing your own bed linen. So if you are there for ppl to wait on you, this is not the right place. I travelled by train and bus from Sydney, Nigel picked me up at Cessnock. It was a fuss free trip up and you get to enjoy the nice scenery along the train tracks.

• Stayed November 2011

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 February 2011

I suppose we should have thought about this when we booked, but a 40 degree (celsius) day and no aircon in rooms, combined with no check in until 5pm meant we bailed and found somewhere else, which ended up being the equivalent price!

The photo on the YHA site needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank titanium_geek
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2011

This hostel is perfect. On arrival we were offered a cheaper dorm with less people - staff are really friendly and helpful. We arrived without food - as we didn't have car we thought this might be a problem but recpetion sell the essentials and for once they are not over priced. It is a beautiful setting and I had a great stay. Bathrooms are large but clean and overall this is pretty good for a hostel. Worth a visit!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Suva, Fiji
Reviewed 2 November 2010

The YHA is the what you would expect from a YHA backpacker. It´s clean and fun could be had. This review is mostly about the wine tasting tour that the hostel sells.

I had previously stayed at the H.V YHA on two separate occasions, I returned 3 years later to find that it was under new management. We paid about $300 for two for a package that included pick-up/drop-off from Sydney central, accomodation in a dorm for one night, one free dinner, and a half-day wine tasting trip.

I had chosen this trip because I has been very happy with the wine tasting tour on two previous occasions, however taking the tour the this time around was very dissapointing, especially considering the steep price.

The new owner is British, and though I didn´t meet him I did meet his sister, who was lovely and knowledgeable, and his Aussie wife, who sad to say, was horrid.

His wife took us on the tour. The vineyards were different then the ones we had visited with the previous owners. Those were fantastic (Hanging Tree, Iron Gate). The vineyards on the new tour were underwhelming, as was the wine. I had no inclination to buy anything, even though I really wanted to. Furthermore, she provided us with minimal information on the region and wine tasting and production. She mostly talked about herself for most of the trip and even made some remarks that weren´t professional. My partner and I were thorougly dissapointed with her. The trip might have been better if someone else were the tour guide, however if she is the person who would be taking you on the trip, I would give it a miss.
The YHA facilities, however, are very nice. Though this wasn´t much changed from previous owners.
Carla

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carla S
long beach
Reviewed 16 April 2010

The hostel needs improvement and supposedly the new owners are beginning to do it. My husband and I reserved a long time in advance when there were other owners. We ended up in bunk beds that were very uncomfortable--squeeky metal frames every time you rolled over. The rooms are extremely hot--there is only one window and no air flow, also very little light at night--one tiny bulb in the ceiling. The owners should put ceiling fans with lights in the rooms. Actually, without spending a lot of money they could add value--like towel racks and hooks in the rooms, a nightstand, etc. The room was very basic but clean and the pool was refreshing, although it seemed a bit cloudy. The location is great by the vineyards and compared to hotels it is very cheap but it is really just a place to sleep and not really relax. Very friendly owners.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nulkaba
0.7 km away
1.9 km away
Cessnock Motel
Cessnock Motel
#1 of 16 in Cessnock

Been to Hunter Valley YHA? Share your experiences!