“A game of two halves - until the desserts.”

Ristorante Il Veliero
Reserve with
Ristorante Il Veliero is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 37 Restaurants in Savelletri
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 September 2018

Our first night on a family trip in Puglia we went in to Savelletri to enjoy the Sunday evening 'passieggiata' and find somewhere for dinner. Not so easy to get a table for 6 but we landed on il Veliero by the harbour - it was a little empty at first but it filled up during our stay.
A little strange that there was a lack of tables on the blank side but we had a waterside table and view.
Half of us had very successful choices with seafood starters and sea bass, the others with just main courses of pasta and risotto less so. (Hence the two halves). However, two of the unlucky ones decided then to order desserts of tiramisu and cheesecake.
What arrived was nothing short of astonishing - they came in square plastic beakers !
For an Italian restaurant to serve tiramisu like that was unbelievable - one expects home-made or almost, even in the UK - but in Italy !! To make matters worse they were still frozen almost solid - and were sent back. The panna cotta was off the menu - maybe my wife had a lucky escape ! They offered replacements but were declined and they were left off the bill - at €5 a pop - I'm sorry, I think that was poor for a country which prides itself on superb desserts.
An average €25 per head including wine, it sounds not too expensive but considering the rather average three only main pasta/risotto dishes it is more like €16 and €32 per head. The average dishes were unworthy; the good dishes were reasonable value.
I would have rated il Veliero as three on that basis, but those desserts really blew it...
The location is good, some dishes were good - but forget dessert !
The two serving staff were pleasant but eventually overloaded and slow as the tables filled.
On balance, we wouldn't recommend.

Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

There are so many problems with this place I don’t even know where to start!

We came for lunch at almost 1pm (tourists) and we were still waiting till 2:27pm! We saw local people coming in and getting served immediately then pay and leave while we are still waiting for our food.

When I asked the waiter after an hour he said “other people order something else” so I pointed out how we came before most of them and we ordered ordinary things like French fries and salad and calamari which shouldn’t be a problem but as I truly believe they just didn’t care because we are not from the area. I will surely not come back here nor recommend it to anyone I know!

Reviewed 28 August 2016

The food was good. We liked the cats who sneaked in for a bit of fish. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

Reviewed 13 June 2016

Found this after visiting the museum and ruins at Egnazie nearby. Had a fish dish each which were served promptly and tasted very good indeed, followed by desserts. Efficient helpful service in what we'd call mid-price range. Husband had a glass of the slightly sparkling vino bianco which went well with the fish. They do a cheaper tourist menu but we thought that limited the choice somewhat so went for the a la carte.

Management response:Responded 20 August 2016

Thank you for your review and I hope torniate visit us soon. Cordial greetings.

Reviewed 11 January 2016

We found this by chance one Sunday lunchtime having looked at most other restaurants in town but opted for one with a harbour view. The welcome was warm and friendly and a table by the window prepared without delay.
The menu is mostly fish-based. We had the house antipasti and lost count of the dishes at 12. It was so substantial that we didn't really have room for anything else but had dolci anyway, which were really good.
The service here was attentive and professional. We had just the right amount of time to consider the menu before our order was taken. Food started to arrive, on a trolley that was a useful addition to the table given the amount of food, immediately and the waiters clearly kept an eye on our progress both with food and drinks.
The bill was very reasonable given the food and drink that we had, clearly no artificial price-hike on account of the excellent harbour view.
Why only 4 stars? Well, as a provider of fresh fish done in a traditional way it was excellent. I reserve 5 stars for out of this world gourmet experiences, which I can count on one hand. This wasn't a fantastic gourmet experience but as tasty local food and good value it was up there with some of the best.
Our dog was welcome too. We'd all go back.