“Highly Recommend Cruise - Saw Lots of Whales”

Spirit of Hervey Bay
Ranked #2 of 17 things to do in Urangan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Spirit of Hervey Bay is a luxurious, fast power catamaran that gets you to the whales playground in minimal time for maximum time spent interacting with the whales. The speed allows the team to cruise from pod to pod (group of whales) and view the most active whales in the Bay. The Spirit also has heaps of room to keep you warm inside whilst we travel to and from the whales, but still allows for spectacular views of our lovely bay through the large windows.With five levels of viewing decks, including our fantastic underwater viewing rooms which place you below the waterline to view the whales in their underwater playground and the amazing waterline viewing platform for those extra close encounters. The Spirit offers the most viewing area of any boat with no crowding and everyone has a front row seat.Our best value cruise also includes a morning or afternoon tea of cakes, cinnamon buns, biscuits, tea, coffee, hot chocolate and juice and on our 3/4 day cruise you also receive a cold buffet lunch with cold meats and fresh salads. Other freebies include a souvenir whale DVD, free wifi and courtesy pickups from touristaccommodation. You can’t get better than that.The Spirit is a locally-owned company operating in Hervey Bay waters for the past 26 years. Our expert commentary of the whales and Fraser Island offers a unique insight into the whales antics and migration pattern with a bit of Aussie larrikin thrown in. The crew are all locals who have lived in the area for more than 15 years which gives them vast knowledge of not only the whales, but also Hervey Bay and surrounding areas.So do not miss out on seeing these gentle giants in the “best place in the world” to view humpback whales aboard the “best value cruise in the bay. See you aboard the Spirit.
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We went on a Whale Watching Cruise with Spirit of Hervey Bay on 1st October 2013. We saw lots of whales playing in the water, just lovely. It was a nice day although abit windy. Before we boarded the crew did advise everyone that it would be abit rough on the water. Everyone was given the option to re-book on another cruise on another day (for those who suffered from seasickness). We were also told to get sea sickness tablets from the chemist or they were available for $2 on the boat.

I did buy one of the seasickness tablets, but really it was not that rough at all. The Spirit of Hervey Bay is very powerful and can easily travel on the water. The Spirit of Hervey Bay is a large catamaran, and I was so glad that we decided to go on a larger boat to see the whales. We sat on the bottom level. We were very comfortable and had an enjoyable cruise. We went on the morning cruise 8.30am - 12.30pm.

The crew were friendly and very helpful. The morning tea which was supplied was plentiful, offering tea, coffee, juice and many selections of biscuits and cakes. There was also chips, drinks, souvenirs, t-shirts, caps etc. for sale o the boat.

We saw lots of whales. I was so excited, as I have never seen a whale in the wild before. They were so beautiful. The Spirit of Hervey Bay seeked out the whales (within the correct distance) and we were so up close and personal with them. One whale was showing her calf how to flap its tale, this show went on for over 30 minutes and we were right there watching. Would highly recommend the Spirit of Hervey Bay for any visitors wanting to go on a Whale Watching cruise.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

We recently experienced a poor demonstration of customer relations by the staff of Spirit of Hervey Bay whale watching, enough for us not to have even experienced the whales. A boat captain with an attitude -Craig, and reception staff member unwilling to assist with options as we had booked using an agent not them directly. The weather was poor and instead of canceling the trip, captain attitude told all that the boat could handle it, the crew could handle it, but all the passengers could not and would be sick. Get a ses sick tablet and still vomit or walk away. No other options. When I asked the reception lady on site I was given the same response. I asked if we could get a refund as this was our last day, she said yes and when presenting my voucher, was told she could do nothing and promptly called "next" to the following person. I would not recommend to anyone.

8  Thank Gary C
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We did the half day morning whale watching tour a week ago, the ocean was so rough, all the people were dropping like flies with sick bags everywhere, there were also a couple of falls, my aunty fell and cut her head (which required 7 stitches) we did however get to see some whales and a playful dolphin also put on a great show before it got too rough. The staff were excellent, they tended to every sick or injured person immediately and they were so genuine and caring. Charlie was fantastic with my aunty after her fall and was still asking after her a few days later. My little boy vomited all over the table and chair and the male staff (can't recall his name) was straight over to help, while I was busy trying to clean up the mess, he was more concerned with my son and told me not to worry about the table or chair but to just look after my son, he was so lovely and caring. The weather was not great but this was not the fault of company (they did cancel the afternoon cruise, and I believe all cruises were cancelled for a few days afterwards) I would highly recommend the spirit in future, and would definitely go again with them in calmer waters. The boat has many viewing area's and a couple of under water rooms with windows that my kids loved! And plenty of seating to go around. You also get a free souvenir whale watching DVD that is lovely to watch afterwards. Well done to the staff on The Sprit - they were amazing under difficult circumstances.

1  Thank venochik
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We had an excellent morning on the boat, plenty of whales although not terribly active. However, a mother and calf spent about a half hour close to the boat splashing their tails and fins. Also saw a dead whale being eaten by sharks which was fairly rare. It was amazing to see a very large tiger shark swimming around the boat. The staff were friendly, courteous, and helpful and the boat was very clean.

1  Thank justy7749
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We took our 3 children 10, 21 & 10 months on the morning cruise yesterday had a great time seen heaps of whales and sharks overall a 10/10 would go with the again Spirit in a heartbeat, awesome crew, food and knowledge thanks Guys, from the Adams Family.