All reviewsmosquito nets providedboat captainreggae barbeautiful locationmentawai islandsadrifansbintangolihumanboyspaymentrightstoiletworldsurfmeals
Reviewed 10 December 2017

Such a terrible experience at Matungou Surf, that I departed after 5 days into my 19-day surf photography trip to stay elsewhere. In my opinion this is a failing business. We came to an agreement about a refund, one instalment was paid, but I was then informed that further payments wouldn’t be made.

Delayed / Poor communication from Oliver (UK Business partner, to whom I paid a £630 deposit to).

Incorrect Information on my travel receipt (issued late, by Oliver).

Failed airport collection.

The Boat Captain had very poor ocean knowledge.

The Boat Captain seemed eager to save on fuel costs.

The Boat Captain was rude me several times, swearing at me on two different occasions.

I had to ask for the water to be turned on, every time I wanted a shower (or to flush the toilet).

Filthy (see photo of pillows).

No sink in bathroom.

Due to the intermittent electricity, no cold drinks!

The intermittent electricity also meant no lights or fans, right when you need them most!

When you save money for a trip of a lifetime, you shouldn’t be sworn at. The Mentawai Islands are beautiful (and the beach that Matungou is set on is incredible). I would never ever stay at Matungou Surf again and I would never recommend anyone to stay there. A great shame. On the plus side, the food was good and the ladies at the camp were friendly.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank Kevin G
Matungou, Owner at Matungou - Mentawai Surf, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2018

We are sorry that the expected standards were not met on this particular trip.

Our website and advert within trip advisor has been updated to ensure that our amenities are clearly described so that there is no false expectation.

It was unfortunate that this trip was cut short and there was no opportunity to rectify some of the issue that arose during the guests stay. The local Owner of the camp had to see to a family emergency on the mainland which lead to a number of issue as described.

Matungou is a basic accommodation and our prices reflect this. We consider ourselves great value and maintain that the majority of our guests are very happy customers.

Apologies once again that the expected standards were not met on this occasion.

Thankyou

Reviewed 9 October 2017

The islands are beautiful and the waves are truly great. Me, my husband and my sister found the islands a very special place. But Matungou Surf Camping was a big disappointment.

The problem was simple: they sold me something that they did not provide when we arrived. If I knew everything I know now before, firstly I wouldn't have chosen to stay at Matungou, but if I did, I knew what to expect and I had no rights to complain. The fact here is that they were and still are doing a serious misleading advertisement about the business. Looking at your website, looking at pictures and brochures and reading everything they promise to offer to their guest, no one can ever imagine that Matungou is what it is when arriving there.

Adri, the responsible that runs Matungou, is a very nice person and we could see he was trying his best to help but there is really no proper conditions or tools for him to fix it all and do it all by himself.

Below is a list of things that were expected based on your brochure/website/emails that we did not find arriving at Matungou:

- Almost every time we want to take a shower we have to ask them to turn the water on because it's never on.
- There is not a sink at the bathroom (it's not about the water, it's about the structure)
The western style toilet is there but most of the times it doesn't work and so we have to manually fill the water to be able to flush (which in my opinion is basically not having a western style toilet)
- Electricity is another problem. It's never on 24h. So if it's on during the day, it's turned off at night which means it's really hot at the room and there is no use of the fan. If we ask to be on at night until later because of the fan, during the day we don't have it to charge batteries or any thing we might want
- Even for a Bintang or a coke, it was really hard to have a cold and nice one.
- There is no paddle board as they say they can provide
- There is no smooths on breakfast as it says on the brochure breakfast menu.
- To be able to have the "free noodles and omelets whenever you wish" as described on the brochure, we had to sit down with Adri, talk to him and show him the website because he was not aware of that - that was definitely not a comfortable position for us.
- There is also no proper curtains at the bungalow so there is absolutely no privacy! (There is nothing written about that but to me is basic common sense at any type of accomodation)
- Now, about the surfing and this is very important: Adri is the only one that knows about surfing or can communicate. The captain or his brother or anyone else, if they know about the surfing conditions, they don't know how to communicate. They only answer "it's up to you" or "I don't know". This means that Adri has to be available 100% of the time as this is a surfing trip after all. But he is not. Because he is the only one running the place that can speak English or give orders around and sometimes he could not go because of other things to do, or for any other reasons that are not of our concern. What matters is that sometimes he did not go along. This means that the surfing guide is not really professional, and for a place like this, this is unacceptable. My boyfriend, as the only guest/ surfer was many times lost and didn't know what to do. And I'm sure he could be enjoying much more despite the conditions, swell or wind directions. It's not about that at all.
- The location is not the best, it is a bit further away than the other surfcamps so it takes more time to go and check the waves and conditions - and also, the boat will only take you once a day to the best place for waves because it takes 40 minutes on the boat to get there.
- There is also no professional photographer. We were ready to pay the price for the photos. But there is not professional quality pictures. Adri is not a professional photographer and again, he is only one person. It's impossible for him to do everything.
- And the beach in front of the surfcamp is NOT as pretty as in the pictures.

Adri is the only person who speaks English and can communicate. Which makes his job impossible to be done and this place impossible to be run. Even for a Bintang we had to chase him down because nobody else could understand what we wanted or needed.

Overall, the main problem is the lack of communication on what's been sold and the lack of professionalism.

We will definitely come back to the Mentawai Islands and the Playground surfing area. But we will DEFINITELY choose another surfcamp.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Gabriela R

The majority of the issues in this review are due to the fact that the camp relies on a generator for power. This is the same for all accommodation in The Mentawai Islands.

Thanks

Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

The only reason it wasn't terrible because the surrounding area is so dang beautiful. First off. When we booked. We were not told of the ferry running only 3 days a week. We planned on staying 10 nights. We payed up front and they never reimbursed us for the last night that we didn't stay. Telling us that they charge per day and not per night. Which is the first I've ever heard of in all my years of travel.
Second. Every night at about 11 o'clock they would kill the generators. Which therefore the power was out and no fans in the bungalows. It gets very hot and sticky in those rooms.
Third. No cold refrigerator. Which means no cold bintangs or even a bottle of water for that matter.
Last issue was the surf guide. Great guy and awesome human. But more of a translator. Knowledge of the ocean was lacking. It was up to us to access the ocean conditions every morning and take a gamble of where to surf. It took us about 4-5 days to really figure out what waves work on what winds.
I will definitely be back to the playground area. Best waves in the world. But I won't be staying at this camp. We even emailed the owner who had no problem taking our money and let him know the issues that were at hand and he basically shrugged us off. Very unprofessional and border line rude. There are a lot of surf camps in the area and I would look at other options before choosing this one.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Phil K

Please allow us to respond:

The ferry schedule was communicated clearly in email exchanges from an early stage. They were also told clearly that the pricing was per day as it is a package rather than simply accommodation. All of our costs are per day so it makes a lot more sense to charge per day and we also provide Harbour pick-up / drop-off as an included cost in the daily rate which balances out the fact that the arrival and departure days are charged at the same rate.

The Mentawai are off-grid and we do turn off the generators late at night unless guests request that we keep them on - in which case we are happy to keep them on. We have never had any other dissatisfied on this issue.

We use local guides with excellent knowledge of the waves in the region as well as the weather conditions. We are of the belief that we should offer jobs to local Indonesians wherever possible and using a Western guide would go against this.

Thankyou

Reviewed 18 July 2017

We visited with our two young sons and had the best holiday experience and it is so affordable. It is amazing what Adri and his family have created in this remote and beautiful location. We highly recommend a stay here - the food was so great and they were flexible and accommodating for all our different needs. The beauty of a smaller place meant my husband got the pick of the waves and Lepi was a great guide advising on where to go and happy. We mixed up surfing with snorkelling, swimming and picnics on nearby idyllic islands. Nothing was too much trouble - we just had to ask and their advice was spot on. It is truly so beautiful and the staff were all wonderful and so kind to our boys. Can't wait to go back again.

Stayed: June 2017
2  Thank MP P
Reviewed 13 July 2017

We travelled to Matungou from Australia with our 2 boys, aged 8 and 6, and also another family. We stayed for 10 days in total. We were so impressed with the service we received from our very first contact with them, right the way through to the end of our holiday.
Adri and his team went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. Every meal was amazing, Indonesian food, sourced from their own garden or locally where possible. They accommodated well for our kids who do not like too much spice and would prepare special meals for them. Banana Pancakes were a big hit.
The accommodation was very comfortable, nice beds with individual mosquito nets and private bathroom with toilet and shower.
The white sandy beach out the front was very safe for swimming and a good place for a snorkel.
The surfing was everything we hoped for. Lepi, the boat captain, always knew the best and safest waves for each day. Great waves were had by everyone, I know the kids will never forget surfing at 'Good times'. Nothing was ever a problem for Lepi, he was great with our kids, enjoyed playing with them and was very patient.
As well as surfing we spent many days fishing, snorkelling and exploring beautiful islands where we were usually the only ones there.
There was lots of fun in the evenings at Adri's Reggae Bar. Chilling out to the cool tunes, sharing stories and few laughs.
Everybody at Matungou made us feel so welcome, we were very sad to say goodbye.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family