“Oustanding Value”

Sol Parc Apartments
manchester
“Oustanding Value”
Reviewed 16 September 2010

First of all I would like to give readers a sense of perspective before I start , we booked our holiday through Teletext Holidays,it was a last minute (cheap) thing, we went through a company called Lowcostholidays.com,for our 7 day stay at Sol Parc,it cost my wife and I just £130.00 each which included our flights to and from Menorca from Manchester, personally I think that is outstanding value for the beginning of September, so even before arriving at Sol Parc after paying that amount of money we both already had an open mind and didn’t expect anything to flash, we ended up being pleasantly surprised

What can I say ?,first of all I can only assume that those writing the negative reviews have been ripped off and expected a bit more for what they have paid , Sol Parc is a very big complex set in some beautiful pine forests, the pines are well maintained and are plentiful, they are dotted through out the vast complex, they cover all areas especially where young children will be playing, the 2 pools and play areas, what a great idea it stops kids getting sun burned, there are plenty of areas where one can sunbathe under clear blue sky on sun loungers (free), the grounds are well maintained and cleaned daily, it is a very child friendly environment, plenty for the kids to do with entertainment most evenings, it gives one a feeling of being close to nature, its nice to hear birds whistling, and feel a cooling breeze giving you respite from the searing heat of the mid day sun.

The rooms are basic and the décor is a little bit out dated, and yes they could do with a lick of paint and losing the 1970s style flooring, the apartment I stayed in could comfortably sleep 4, 2 single beds in 1 bedroom, and a sofa that converted in to a double bed in the living room, there is a 2 ring hob, a full supply of pots and pans and crockery, you also have a small fridge, you even have a television providing BBC 1 and ITV free of charge as well as German channels and Eurosport, there is no kettle so take a travel one or use a pan, there is no iron, so again take a travel one, the apartments are thoroughly cleaned and our bed linen and towels were changed twice in the 7 days we were there, there was plenty supply of hot water, my wife and I showered and bathed twice a day, the apartments also have a balcony with chairs and table, I just cant fault the accommodation for what I paid, it is not often you get good value for money when holidaying, but this place really is, I bumped in to some people who have returned 3 or 4 times just because of the value, for the value factor alone I have to give this place 4 stars.

There is internet access on site 1 Euro for 20 minutes ,also you have a small supermarket, not to expensive but don’t expect Asda,the beach is literally 5 minutes walk down a beautiful sandy path from the complex, whilst walking down to the beach on your first day you nearly have to pinch yourself to believe you paid what you did, it is gorgeous and child friendly, nearby is a good Chinese restaurant and a café( does a Full English for Euro 5.50) and 2 pubs showing live footy,one called the half Moon, it does a nice curry with nan bread for 12 Euros ,there’s a couple more shops including another 2 small supermarkets and that’s about it, the whole place has been deliberately under developed, it very clean and relaxing I loved the place.

If you do decide to visit, it might be a good idea to arrange a transfer prior to visiting, it will be very expensive when there 60 Euros each ONE WAY, we used a company called taxitransfers.co.uk,who gave us an excellent service, we were picked up by shuttle from Mahon Airport and took to Sol Park, and returned very early a week later for £59.00 for both us pre booking via the internet, like I said the service was excellent, the price includes one suit case each plus hand luggage.

ignore the negative reviews,if like me you love a bargain,then pack your suit case !!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank dcleach070667

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Manchester
Reviewed 16 September 2010

We booked a late deal and where quite aprehensive about some of the reviews I read on here. I travelled with my wife and our 8 year old son.
The apartment was fine - kitchen was basic with a fridge (with icebox) and a 2 ring electric hob and a microwave. there were plenty of untensils, pots, pans, cuttlery and crocklery. We hardly used any of it though becuase we were all inclusive. The bedroom was fine - our son slepts on a pull out sofa bed in the living room - we were expecting this. We asked for extra pillows and recived them straight way.
POOLS - There are two pools, one is quite small and tended to attract adults rather then kids, the other which was bigger had slides so it was a magnet for the kids. The bigger pool is in the shade for much of the day, but we never failed to get a sunlounger. For Sun worshippers there's the solarium, which is an area set out in the adjoining sand dunes with sun beds - only 100yds from the pool (if that).
The Pool bar served local alcoholic drinks and soft drinks all day, at times there was a queue as there was only ever one person serving, but as you could see the queue from the pool, we simply went when the queue had vanished or was small. This Bar also served bar sancks during the day when the main restaraunt wasn't serving meals - Chips, toasties, hotdogs, burgers, pizza (didn't like the Pizza but everything else was fine).
All meals were served int he main Restaraunt, which consisted of a buffet, and also a chef preparing food.
Breakfast: The chef cooked - eggs and bacon - or omelletes to order. The buffet consisted of fruit, cold meats and cheeses, cereals, sausages (spanish), scrambled eggs, mushrooms, beans, selction of breads and pastries - toasters x 2 to make yur own toast, coffe machine, fresh fruit juices, frozen yoghurt......etc etc.
Lunch: The Chef usually cooked a 2 different pasta dishes. The buffet consisted of cold meats, a couple of warm meat dishes, usually a fish dish, lot of choice of veg, chips, another choice of potato, choice of diiferent breads. Great choice of deserts - usually 3 flaovours of icecream and assorted cakes - really nice. Drinks - help your self to lager, wine or soft drinks
Dinner(Tea for us northerners) Chef cooked special every night (didn't repeat in the week we stayed, included Paella, Roast Pork always worth a go) The buffet included Soup as a stater, then a good choice of hot foods, Fish dish, meat dish, lots of veg, always some kids favourites (nuggets, fish fingers, chips etc). again lots of fresh breads etc. Drinks again help yourself to beer, wine, and soft drinks - somenights there were special drinks laid on for instnace ont eh paella night there was sangria.
I've probably missed loads off here - but yu get the idea.
It's not Fine dining - but you are not at a 5 star resort. Our son is a really fussy eater and he was as happy as could be - ate a lot of things he wouldn't at home too!
The Evening entertainment.
The evening entertainment in centered around an outdoor seating area with a stage at the front. The entertainment was little more than background noise as we were happy to sit drink and chat. Having said that if the evening entertainment is your thing - it's not that good. Never saw any drunken behaviour at all while we were there.
Kids
There was no english kids club (just dutch and italian) There were however plenty of English kids about and they all just played togther anyway - no problem there. In the evening the foreigh kids clubs put some entertainment on and the english kids just got up and went along with it.
The Shop - great little supermaket on site that was cheaper then the ones outside of the hotel - i think I paid 6 Euro for an airbed - and he pumped it up for me - really friendly staff.
Reception - when I arrived I saw a receptionist arguing with a customer - not a good sign. But as we found out they were very helpful albeit one lady has got a really dry sense of humour - get used to it she was esxcellent if you were nice to her - its suprising how far a smile gets you.
Beach
follow the boardwalk form behind the pool bar, through the Dunes (5minutes). Beautiful, lovely sand shallow still clear water - sunbeds are pricey though (15euro for 2 beds and 1 parasol - but your own for less!!)
think I have covered it all! - Don't worry about bad reviews - go have a good time!

10 Thank Hallamfamily
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 4 September 2010

After having paid close to 2000 Euros for an ' All inclusive' two week holiday for our little family ( husband/wife and 1 year old) we were deeply dissappointed when arriving at Son Parc. With its 3 star rating you would expect at least a clean room. Our room was full of Ants, but even worse, also mouldy in ceilings and on curtains.. Tired after the trip we decided to go get a drink and sit down to decide what to do next. So after some sangria we got more positive and thought that perhaps we can manage staying here if the food is good ( thats about all evening entertainment us parents to get and look forward to) so off we went to the restaurant.
Once there it took long time before we were even greeted and seated. No table service at all and the buffet consisted of Deep Fried potatoes, some type of lasagna, chicken nuggets that were brown (!?), and chips.
No fresh salads, no fish, prawns, meat or chicken. Very very disappointing and even worse so as families with young children tend to go here and thus this is the type of food the kids get fed.

Absolutely a disastrous experience. After1.5 day we demanded a transfer and are now spending the remaining days of our holiday on the west coast of Menorca at a lovely little self catering bungalow in Cala Blanca.

2 Thank snailme

Travellers are raving about these Son Parc hotels

sherwood forest
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Went on an all inclusive holiday to this hotel
The main feature of the hotel is that it has been built within a menorcan pine wood so there is lots of shade.the 2 pools are in clearings and get a lot of sunshine but they are a little cooler then normal for the med.
The rooms are dated but clean ,but there is no a/c except for the restaurant and reception areas
The hotel staff were very friendly but in some areas understaffed ,especially the bar areas
Food was just ok but you have the option of eating out in one of the three restaurants the hotel owns in the resort one evening meal in each (drinks extra)
Entertainment was poor the evening and poolside by an Italian tour company,evenings consisted of the entertainers being silly and screaming loudly.We went out to the local bars the half moon being a particular favorite
The local tourist authority has constructed a childrens play area and adult excercise course which is quite good
The resort has been badly hit by the recession with lots of closures a bit of investment could revitalise the area

Chippenham
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I have used these review sites for a number of years and always take a balanced view of the reviews. Some people are terminally unhappy and dissatisfied whatever happens, others go with an open mind and just enjoy what they discover. I tend to fall into the latter category, although I can be objective enough to identify the faults.
So Sol Parc Apartments in Son Parc (Menorca).
I have been travelling the world for over 25 years and will say that this location is my favourite for a peaceful, safe and relaxing holiday. This is the third time I have been here in 20 years. The location is exceptional - one of the nicest beaches in the med with a resort that offers very reasonable facilities.
First location: The beach is a good size with a few boats for hire and sunbeds/umbrella to hire (very expensive 15 euro per day). It is cheaper to buy an umbrella at one of the many shops (7-15 euro) and use it for the whole holiday. The water was warm and shallow with little current. The resort is built in woodland so there is always plenty of tree cover offering a respite from the heat of the sun - perfect. There are two children's pools and two adult pools - all pretty good and decent sizes. There are childrens slides, several parks (for all ages) and a mini-golf (5 euros for 1 hr). There is also a small games arcade, some pool tables and table-tennis. The supermarket on-site is fairly reasonable for a holiday location, but there are also other closeby.
Since my previous visit the site has been expanded and upgraded. It feels clean and well used - it is not fancy or over luxurious (if you like 4* you will be dissappointed). I believe a 2* rating is about right (near 3* with a little extra work). I found the staff to be really helpful and friendly (just remember to treat everyone with respect and not as servants).
Food: I am undecided on this. I do believe that you need to expect a local menu as the resort is not huge and this is what you get generally. The food is not exceptional, but okay. There are plenty of other eating places off-site. We all found something to eat each day, but I was glad to get home have some English food again! I think this is just part of the experience.
Climate: The temperature (last week of Aug) was perfect. It varied from mid 20s to about 32C.
Other Guests: I must say we found other guests to be very good. They were considerate and kids generally well behaved. Over 50% were English - the rest a mix of Dutch, Spanish and German, plus other no doubt. I think the English took over due to the school term holidays. Most people had children. If you do not have children you may not find this resort so good for you.
General: The place is very children orientated. From the pools to the dining area there are plenty of facilities for children.
I hope my review is helpful. We used Sunset (Thomas Cook) and found the whole experience a pleasure. We went with modest expectations and left very happy that they were all exceeded. We will remember sitting on our balcony watching the night come in with a drink and feeling of peaceful relaxation.

7 Thank Pluto98a
16.6 km away
Sol Beach House Menorca
Sol Beach House Menorca
#1 of 4 in Santo Tomas

Been to Sol Parc Apartments? Share your experiences!