All reviews tudor style wedding reception junior suite huge tv looked fantastic piping hot room rate lovely garden country house chocolate brownie only criticism afternoon tea
Reviewed 29 June 2018

My husband and I stayed here last weekend for the wedding of our niece. Cannot fault the wedding and reception at all. Everything looked so beautiful, the food was excellent- all piping hot , very tasty and the service faultless. Hats off to all the staff who made it such a special day for everybody. My only gripe is that of the additional cost to our rooms for early occupancy. Considering the hotel is offering a "Wedding package" surely the price of the rooms should reflect that guests coming to the wedding,( particularly guests like us who have had a fairly long journey) would like to have their rooms available beforehand to freshen up/get changed. This wedding after all wasn't until 3.30pm so I don't really see why the rooms couldn't have been offered at an earlier time, or if for some reason it is costing you more to have the rooms cleaned earlier, than just raise the room rate to include this! We certainly wouldn't have minded had this been the case. Instead to the guest it seems a very petty/greedy charge to make. This is the main reason why I would not give you five stars (tripadvisor rating) and maybe it is something that should be looked at by management.

Room Tip: Any mobility problems check rooms available as there are no lifts within the main building.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

We have just had our wedding here and we couldn't be happier. Everything went so smoothly. The whole team worked so hard but yet made it seem effortless which helped us feel relaxed and comfortable to not have to worry about anything.
The way the ceremony and wedding breakfast and evening was set up was great and everything looked beautiful.
The food was delicious and presented to a high standard.
The building was gorgeous with its own characteristics.
Amita and her team were so accommodating to support us to have everything the way we wanted and we thank them so much for giving us such a wonderful day with so many memories.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Porscha H
Reviewed 19 June 2018

This review relates to the restaurant only.

My husband and I love this place, and have eaten here many times over the years.

We had our wedding reception here and although we don’t visit as often as we’d like we chose to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary here recently.

The building is still grand, the huge curtains in the bar have long since gone, but that allows more light into the room.

We were a bit surprised to see a tray which had the remains of tea/ coffee still on one of the tables when we arrived at 6.45pm. There were not that many places to sit and it was by the window where we wanted to be, but was quickly sorted when mentioned.

We ordered drinks and as ever were left for a while with the menu, and never hurried. The menu was more limited than that shown online and one of the items I had hoped to order was missing, but still enough choice.

We ordered our food, some more drinks, and waited. It was some time later that we were called into the restaurant and seated at a lovely table. We had assumed that our food would be along shortly, but in fact we waited some time. We weren’t in a hurry but were getting a bit hungry.

There were only 2 other tables occupied. The man at one of them had taken off his shoes and stretched out so his foot was in the walkway, which was a little off putting, but I chose to keep looking in the opposite direction.

The food was perfectly acceptable, but not outstanding. I had a reasonably well made terrine, and my husband has mussels. Then fish and chips and a lamb dish.They were fine, but less than a week later I had to think hard to remember what I had.
My meal had 3 times cooked chips. I am not normally sad enough to count the chips in my portion but it didn’t take me long to reach 7. It was only because I thought they had forgotten them that I even did that. They were under the fish.
The dauphinoise potatoes with the lamb were outstanding and possibly the only memorable part of the meal.

The ambience was a bit odd. The waitress seemed vaguely perplexed by every request for food or drink. Towards the end of our meal she brought in a plate of food and sat down in the restaurant to eat it. I realise she has to eat, but I then didn’t want to disturb her, which is not something I feel I should have to think about.

I asked for chocolate fondant for dessert and to change the pistachio ice cream to any other flavour. I think they complied with my request, but oddly the ice cream had no distinguishable flavour.
We heard the waitress take a dessert order from another table and then return to say the kitchen closed at 9.00pm and everyone had gone home. Not sure why she took the order, and I didn’t hear a word of apology.

When we went to pay there was a delay as our bill had been made up - ‘ but then we had ordered dessert and drinks’ ( is it so extraordinary to order dessert?) so there was a supplementary bill. What is the point of making up a bill part way through if it causes problems later? We had to wait for a manager to come and sort this out so it could all be put on one bill. I wouldn’t have minded paying in 2 lots to speed things up.

We were there around 2.5 hours after the reservation time. Fine for us as we wanted a night out although we didn’t ask for extra time at any stage, but maybe not somewhere to visit if you want a quick meal.

We will definitely return as this place is firmly in our hearts, but if we had not had a previous connection I think the experience would have been just a bit too odd.

Stayed: June 2018
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

A lovely old building with attractive grounds, but all looking rather tired.
Friendly staff perhaps not experienced hoteliers.
Clean rooms - perfectly ok for an overnight stay. Good cooked breakfast would have been even better if it was hot.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mippytraveller
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

Beautiful hotel with lovely grounds. Very relaxing atmosphere & staff were really friendly & helpful. Only half hour drive to Thetford forest which was a fantastic venue for a small festival. We would definitely stay again x

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple