“Meekat Experience”

Eagle Heights Wildlife Foundation
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Eynsford
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Booked the Meerkat Experience which we attended yesterday, as luck would have it the sun was (finally) shining! We arrived and were greeted by one of the handlers. It was clear from listening to her and watching her with the gorgeous Meerkats that not only did she really know her stuff but you could tell she absolutely adored them, which was so lovely. Needless to say the Meerkats themselves were super cute. The experience was arranged well with both myself and my son with another couple being able to sit amongst the Meerkats, feed them and let them climb and play with all our zips, toggles and hair! There is a minimum age on this experience and I can see why, you have to sit calmly and not be alarmed by these fur babies jumping all over you, something I don't think many younger kids would be able to handle, my son is 11 and he loved the experience!

We then continued with the rest of the day, watching both the flying displays. We have been to Eagle Heights a number of times now and love it every time! All the staff are really knowledgeable and friendly and clearly extremely passionate about all their birds and other animals, also love the fact that the birds still have their wild and quirky personalities!!!

The only negative comment I can make is the cafe, I see a number of other people also comment about this and I am curious if it is privately owned. I am sure that years ago it could have handled the level of footfall but looking at it now, it cannot possibly cope with the demand of customers, even just down to the layout of being able to serve people, it must be a nightmare for the staff! I've never had a soggy "toastie" before either! Having spent much time looking at cafes/tea rooms (from a professional point of view) it has so much potential, I'd love to get my hands on it and spruce it up! All this said it doesn't impact on the day, I may just bring a picnic next time :)

All reviews
in 18 reviews
"tea and cake"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 4 April 2018

My husband and I booked a "Husky Hike" experience via Groupon which included entry to the entire Eagle Heights grounds. When we purchased the voucher we noted that the centre is mainly a Bird Sanctuary and thought we would be in and out after our Husky Hike as we didn't think Birds of Prey would really be our thing. We arrived before opening time and ended up staying till the centre closed! It was absolutely fantastic! The dogs are the sweetest, happiest bunch of rescues you'll ever see. They are housed together based on how well they get along with one another but all in the same vicinity. I was overcome with glee as we walked down toward the enclosure from all the Husky howls and all of them greeting us with excitement and jumping on the roofs of their houses. They were so adorable. The hike itself didn't last as long as I had hoped, but then again we could have spent all day with these beauties! In fact we will definitely be going back for the Kennel Tour where you can have one on one time with several of the dogs. Our guide and best friend to the pups, Leon, was incredibly knowledgeable about the breed, the centre and each of the dogs. He was more than happy to answer the dozens of questions I threw at him- all with a smile.
Just when we thought we were done and ready to head home, a bird fight display began and we popped over to watch- we were glued to our seats in awe and fascination. Owls, Falcons, Eagles and more- soaring, hunting their food and showing their intelligence. Sophie, the handler/trainer/human-mother to the birds, was not only hilarious and engaging, she was completely in sync with these gorgeous creatures and taught us so many fascinating facts- setting the record straight about a lot of common misconceptions. This display was followed by a handling session where for a measly £2 donation you could have a massive Bald Eagle or the cutest Little Owl (yes that is the actual breed) perch on your arm. It was spectacular! The centre has so many fascinating animals, all acquired by rescue, so you feel really good about spending money here- knowing its going into the upkeep and welfare of the animals.
In the tearoom, we had a lovely lunch and delicious home-made chocolate cake (3 slices! It was SO good!) and got some respite from the cold with various hot drinks- all very reasonably priced.
I absolutely recommend this place to anyone- old, young, singles, couples, friends and families. We had such an incredible day and can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

My husband did the Eagle handling experience today and it was amazing! Kev was brilliant, he really put us at ease didn’t rush us and really knows his stuff. We had a truly lovely day finished off with the best bit of Victoria sponge we will be back to do the meerkat experience and see Charlie very soon.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We had the meerkat experience and it was amazing, they're so cute and fun! All of the staff were friendly and helpful, they adore the animals and love looking after them, which is heart warming. The place isn't massive but just right for spending 2-3 hours meeting the many animals they have there, including; huskies, pigs, goats, lynx', birds of prey, alligators and the list goes on. This a really wonderful day out, so go enjoy

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 April 2018

This was a gift from my parents for my 30th birthday and it was truly fantastic.

Kev immediately put me at ease with the eagles, helped me to build my confidence with each individual bird and shared some absolutely some amazing facts.

The experience was very well-organised, starting off indoors and later taking to the outdoors (with tea and cake in the cafe at the end!). I was really given time to enjoy the eagles - and learn about them too. The pace was spot-on.

I have since been showing off all the videos and pictures to my family and friends (Zulu, you're my favourite eagle!) and it's an experience I'll never forget.

Big thank you to Kev for making my birthday gift such a special and memorable day.

Highly recommended!