“Massive”

Sierra Nevada Brewery
Cuisines: Gastropub
Description: Western North Carolina is known for its love of food and passion for great craft beer. At our Mills River Taproom and Restaurant you’ll find an abundance of both. Visit the Taproom to sample one of our 23 beers on tap, many produced just a few feet from the restaurant. Beers are accompanied by artful, chef-driven food focused on small plate, sharable, whole animal and farm-to-table dishes sourced mainly from local suppliers. We are a first come, first serve restaurant. Please feel free to stop by the host stand to put your name on the list, or grab a beer and head outside to our Back Porch and Beer Garden to take in the views of the beautiful forest or stroll through our Mills River Estate Garden. We use the homegrown vegetables and herbs for our restaurant and small-scale pilot brewery.
Reviewed 5 December 2017

This place is huge and crazy busy. Staff were all extremely friendly. Plenty of the usual SN beers on tap and all beers were $5 for full pours. Definitely a good deal. Food is really good, but comes out very quickly. It's a small plates type format, so stuff just arrives one after the other so if you don't eat fast enough you're table is quickly overrun with food. They had only maybe 2 or 3 offerings that were not mainstream available, from what I could tell. So a little disappointed in that. Would have liked to be able to get something that was exclusive to the taproom only, or some experimental brews. Maybe it was just the timing of the visit.

Gift shop is nice and has beer to go but it is super expensive. Twenty bucks for 12 packs of Snow Pack??! I can go to pretty much any local store by me and get it for $15. And it will be just as fresh. Bombers of some offerings were available, but they were $20. Again overpriced. And again nothing really available that you can't get in any retail location. I think there were 2 that I'd never seen before but the styles didn't really appeal to me. SN is available in all 50 states I believe so just seeing all of the normal stuff is not that appealing of a reason to go visit for beer. The brewery being so close to my home state means that I routinely see stuff in store that is only 1 or 2 weeks old. It was a good experience and I can say that I've been, but probably won't make a second trip as there are so many other breweries in Asheville to visit. But this is definitely a beer wonderland.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,085)

Reviewed 5 December 2017

This is my favorite Brewery Chico and Mills River. Very crowded for lunch try and miss this time of day. The beer selection was wonderful. Food was very good also. Beautiful location and you can sure tell they spent some money on this place. I have been drinking Sierra Nevada since they started brewing beer and it's still my favorite! We will be back.

Reviewed 2 December 2017 via mobile

This was our second visit to Sierra-Nevada but the first time we had taken a tour of the brewery. It started with an outstanding video providing background and history. Then Sean took over our tour of only 5 people (so lucky to hit them on an off day!) who provided a most interesting and informative tour and capably answered all questions. He obviously loves his job. The tour ended with a tasting of 8 of their beers - all significantly different from one another so a nice variety.

All aspects of this building, including the restaurant, are so well thought out with great design and reuse of materials such as barrel staves and beer bottles. All is tastefully done with fine attention to detail.

Following the tour we had lunch. There were three of us and we ordered tastings of three different items to share. The roasted beet salad, shepherd's pie and catfish sandwich were all delicious and nicely presented. Wait staff was very attentive and friendly.

Reviewed 29 November 2017

The food was amazing, soy ginger wings were honestly the biggest hit at the table, but the burgers were damned good too.

The part that really made this place one of a kind is the area outside the taproom, where there's an amphitheater, bocce ball courts, corn hole, children's play area, and an organic garden. For all three generations of my family, we were happy enjoying the cool and fresh mountain air, taking in the scenery, drinking beers, and playing games for most of the afternoon. It was the unexpected highlight of our Thanksgiving trip, and we decided we will be back here every time we come to Asheville.

Reviewed 27 November 2017

We went to the brewery for the tour, but the smell of the food grabbed us. This is a beautiful brewery and Taproom! Staff very courteous and friendly. We split the roasted beet salad. I had the sea scallops on pureed sweet potato and wife had Bangers and Mash. Both were superb dishes and came highly recommended by our server. Restaurant and entire brewery were spotless. We are looking forward to going back and taking the tour! Oh yeah, and the BEER! Try Dunkelweizen. Great dark beer!