“Amazing Flavours but has its problems. ”
Review of The Hollows

The Hollows
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hollows is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #85 of 771 Restaurants in Saskatoon
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

Was very interested in the from scratch and farm to table aspects of The Hollows.
Those parts did not disappoint. The food was made from fresh and delicious ingredients.
I had Gnocchi and they were the lightest fluffiest gnocchi I have ever had. Spouse had the Pork with chickpeas. Really enjoyed the flavour of the chickpeas. Everything tasted amazing. Especially the Perogie. I see other reviews bashing the perogies but I was really wowed by the flavours. These are not your babas perogies, they are reimagined gourmet perogies. So get any preconceived perogie bias out of your head and try them. Just be prepared for the slightly outrageous price of $16. The wife really enjoyed the House made ginger beer as well.

Not a huge fan of the old dumpy Chinese restaurant they are occupying or the second hand silverware and glasses but I think they are going for a certain kind of atmosphere. Sustainable hipster maybe?

Pros: amazing tastes, friendly staff, fresh and wholesome ingredients

Cons: dumpy restaurant, prices are high.

I’d go back. Just not frequently because my wallet can’t take it. Special occasions for sure. Really want to try the tasting option on the menu.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 1 August 2018

My friends had perogies - tough skinned and skimpy filling. 3 for $16 - really? The pate was good and the bread the best thing of the evening. My main was a couple of tiny pork medallions in a large bowl of chickpeas. Left half of them. Another main was whitefish in a sauce that turned out to be soup of overcooked and undercooked vegetables. There were more flies in the place than patrons. The place is an old Chinese restaurant and kind of grubby trying to be 'atmosphere'. The service was prompt enough but not very professional. There was a layer of dust on my cutlery. Won't be back.

Reviewed 23 July 2018 via mobile

We are a little torn on the review for The Hollows brunch. The food was excellent! My trout eggs Bene was great, delicious trout, avacado, and perfectly poached eggs on a croissant! My husband loved his poutine and the kids loved the caramel waffle and tomato soup and grilled cheese. The dacor was definitely hipster, or perhaps they just took over EVERYTHING from an eighties Chinese restaurant? Even the musty smell on entering the restaurant. The waitresses were efficient enough but very scruffy looking. The prices were quite high and I guess we were paying for great scratch made food. But the “Hipster” atmosphere was WAY over the top!

Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

Came here for a birthday supper for a friend, we were a large group. Drinks came quickly, which was nice. Then quite the wait to order food. Most of our table (1 table out of 4 for our group) did appetizers for supper, after almost 30-35 minutes wait, we got our food-but anyone who didn’t order appetizers as a meal waited probably another 20-30 minutes before they received their food-we were done eating before they got theirs. And then our specific table never got asked if we wanted dessert-other tables were served dessert, but not ours.

Now for the real, true disappointment. We left hungry and spent a lot of money to do so. I understand the quality vs quantity argument, and often I agree, but i found this was ridiculous. 3 perogies for 16$, 3! The charcuterie board was ok, but there are much better ones in the city. The bread was good. Wish we would have ordered the poutine other people in the group did-but didn’t know we could since it wasn’t on the menu-hidden item or something.

All in all to say, I won’t be going back and won’t recommend it to anyone-much better places in that part of the city that are worth spending the money on.

Reviewed 15 April 2018

A very eclectic restaurant set in a former chinese food restaurant. Amazing service and food along with unique cocktails. Great presentation of the dishes.

Date of visit: April 2018