“Thoroughly enjoyed my visit here. Got instructions on building a teepee, saw traditional dancing and walked the trails.”

Wanuskewin Heritage Park
Ranked #8 of 63 things to do in Saskatoon
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors can learn about the culture of the Northern Plains Indians at this historic site, with reenactments of native dances, pow wows and games.
Reviewed 19 September 2017

So beautiful to walk the trails here and the scenery is so lovely. Enjoyed the instruction on teepee building. Enjoyed the traditional dancing performed. Gift shop is pricey so didn't buy anything. The statutes of the buffalo and bears out front are incredible. Would highly recommend a visit.

All reviews
"arts and crafts"
"guided tour"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 16 September 2017

We had family visiting from Ontario and Manitoba and decided to spend the afternoon at the Heritage Park. We took in the construction of the Tee Pee, the guided tour outdoors to see the archeological digs and the Ring Dancer. The gift store had many delightful items. Good idea to allow extra time to walk the paths and explore the area.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

This is a native cultural heritage museum. It has some hands on activities, interesting displays, guided tours, self-guided tours, a gift shop, and exceptional statuary in front.

It is not a large facility, so one can see the displays in a brief amount of time, 30 minutes or less. But, they have a well made movie explaining the importance of the location, and there are guided tours and demonstrations to expand your knowledge. We watched a demonstration of putting up a teepee. Never knew that each pole had a different purpose and were even named. The individual demonstrating this did a fantastic job, but might consider jeans without fashion tears in them. It seemed, at least to my wife and I, that the clothing could be casual for the occasion, but needed to be more upscale casual. Other than that one thing, we loved the place!
We didn't have a lot of time to really take it all in. My wife cannot walk far, so I only got to explore a little distance of the trails available. I highly recommend not to miss these, even if you only get a glimpse, like I did. They put some thought into the explanatory placards and displays. Even the building architecture mimics a teepee, which was what the natives in this part of the world used in the past.

Also, it's a little hard to find. Follow the buffalo signs. It would be helpful if they were larger, and therefore easier to see while driving.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

Part of my visit to Saskatoon was a visit to Wanuskewin Heritage Park National Historic Site, 5km from the City of Saskatoon. Never tried buffalo bacon wow so good... great guided tour of the site including a dig site that is over 3000 years old... must see park well worth spending 3 hours touring the buffalo jump.