“Don’t understand the kudos ”

Le Clocher Penche Restaurant
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown Quebec City
Cross street: Caron
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

I’ve never been to Quebec City before, but I know my food and travel to eat and did my research before dining out. Unfortunately our one night for dinner was a spectacularly average experience. Clocher is in a lively neighborhood, and a nice old building, has lots of local organic suppliers and a high rating on the local TripAdvisor. Often if I don’t like a place I won’t write a review but in the event of highly rated local places with all rave reviews, and top 25 ratings I will. There’s not much to say here. The products seem to be legit and seasonal but the cooking uninspiring. Lobster bisque served on a plate not bowl. Hot olives as an apéro. Expensive wine list. Over cooked Saint Edward’s île steak. Agnolotti pasta with dry pork filling. Everything seems to have the same watercress garnish. I’m not sure who’s cooking in the kitchen or maybe just Quebec is behind the rest of the world in cooking but I wouldn’t go back and my first and only restaurant experience here was just.. meh.

4  Thank adrian m

Reviewed 30 July 2018

Be sure to treat yourself (and others) to the Sunday Brunch here. It is a cute place with an excellent menu which includes your coffee and a creamy yogurt/pudding type mixture with a jelled pureed fruit in a cup (delish!) prior to your breakfast item - ours was the Herbed Waffle with Poached Eggs, Ham and a sauce - still dreaming about this one! We were told it was their most popular item, rightly so! Coffee drinks were delicious too! A really nice breakfast menu that you will want to come back too again and again. Service was very good also. It does get very busy, we had reservations and recommend doing that.

Reviewed 24 July 2018 via mobile

Of all the eateries we visited during our one week visit to Montreal and Quebec City this restaurant stood out as the first for my belated review. We loved it.

I stuck my neck out and ordered the “Boudin noir maison” (House Black Pudding). With my Franco-American background in NH I wasn’t oblivious to what I was ordering (blood pudding). This was the most courageous menu item I encountered during our trip so I had to order it. Kudos to Clocher Penché for putting it on the menu. It was paired with some wonderful sauces and root vegetables, and even though my photo makes it look a bit skimpy, it wasn’t. My only quibble was that it could have used a bit more sauce, as it was a bit dry. I think this should be offered in a smaller amount as an appetizer course so that diners can try some true French Canadian cuisine without a main course commitment. Way too much pomme frites and beef/salmon tartare at many other restaurants.

I probably would try something else next time (this would be a must-return-to location). And yes, the name translated as Crooked Steeple does refer to a church across the intersection from the restaurant.

1  Thank BobandBruce
Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

Fantastic food in a buzzy restaurant. After sampling some local gins from a healthy selection, we ate very well. A salad and bison tongue starter set up as excellently for a superb shared main, a special that evening which was a large cocotte full of something a bit like a paella but with more seafood and less rice and a little juicier than a traditional paella - it was absolutely delicious, the various bits of seafood all cooked beautifully. The deconstructed sugar pie was then a fine way to round off a lovely meal, decadent without being too heavy. The wine list is a bit short on options below $70 but we found a brilliant Spanish white Grenache just above that. Service was efficient throughout despite the restaurant being very busy. A fine, highly recommended restaurant.

1  Thank Steve D
Reviewed 10 July 2018

Nice place to have an unusual breakfast and dinner... In downtown in the Novo St-Roch district. Easy to reach by foot, not to far from the old « gare » of Quebec City. The food is really good and fresh, a great looking restaurants in an old bank... only thing they should redo are the bathrooms... please makeover required!

1  Thank aperron23