“Nice hotel in old Quebec” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel du Vieux-Quebec
Ranked #1 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Pennsylvania
“Nice hotel in old Quebec”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

This was our second stay here and again enjoyed the hotel. We were in a standard room which was a little small but comfortable. Bathroom was a good size with good shelf space. Shower had soap, shampoo and conditioner dispensers. Room had fridge, safe and coffee maker. Breakfast basket was left at door and was nice with orange juice /yogurt/ breads /jam /fruit. Hotel has an elevator and has luggage carts. They have a very nice lounge with games/books etc and they also have a large offering of DVDs. They have a water dispenser and vending machines offering coffees and sodas. There's a pretty nice restaurant adjacent to the hotel. My only observation this time is that the receptionists were not as friendly as last time which was a pity as this is a really nice hotel. We also had an issue with our bill but it was resolved pretty quickly but we were disappointed that this happened and we had to question it. One other issue is that we were in a room with an adjoining door. The first few nights we were not aware of any noise but our last night in the hotel was a problem. In the early evening, our neighbour played some rather loud music but it did abate around 10p.m. But then we were rather upset to be awakened at 5:30a.m. by our neighbour's alarm clock and subsequent TV/Radio noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with no connecting door.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

I was nervous about traveling with my 3 month old baby (and perhaps disturbing other people) but we had a great time and we couldn't hear anything from any other room (so I believe we didn't bother anyone).

We chose to spend the extra money to get the King superior room with a fireplace and it was worth every cent!!! The room as clean, spacious and comfortable. The staff was also very nice and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

It was an absolutely delightful stay at the hotel. There was a large group of students staying there but I never heard them from my 2nd floor room. I love the fireplace in the lounge (which is much like a comfortable living room complete with TV and board games), and I especially loved the complimentary movie/DVD selection and popcorn. It really made it feel cozy! Definitely a fun perk when it's 0 degrees outside on a slow Sunday night.

I also very much appreciated the accommodations and service with regard to my late arrival and taking my room request into consideration (I'd asked for one of the renovated rooms, and something quiet...not sure if they've all been renovated or not at this point, but my room was lovely!). Basic rooms are modest in size; larger than typical European rooms but a bit smaller than traditional U.S. rooms. They're plenty big as far as I'm concerned though - an armoire to hang clothes and three good-sized drawers, a desk, and a separate luggage rack if you just want to live out of the suitcase. A mat at the door can let your snow boots dry out, keeping you from dripping water all over the room - a thoughtful touch. A mini-fridge kept my leftover orange juice from the breakfast basket cold. No tub, but nice shower with good water pressure and consistent hot water. The bed was very comfortable; sheets were clean and fresh.

Hotel staff was very pleasant, patient, and knowledgeable of some things but weren't as sure about non-tourist cafe and bar suggestions. Do some research before you go. I went during the Winter Carnavale, and they did know about that and also sold the polar bear charm you need to gain access to the park, with no 'convenience fee' surcharge, which was nice! All staff I encountered spoke fluent French and English, and were equally as helpful in both!

Maid/cleaning staff also respected the "Do not disturb" signs...a seemingly obvious note, but I can't tell you how many times I've been in a hotel where they still knock and try to open the door. Although I didn't have a car, I overheard the staff mention there is no charge for parking (at least at this time of year...another thing to check before you go). Internet service is free wi-fi; they'll give you an access code at check-in. I had no problems surfing the web in my room.

Truly, no complaints about anything at all. I got a pretty good deal on the room, and imagine I would still be content if I'd paid more. It's quaint, comfortable, clean, and in the absolute center of Old Quebec - the old part of the city within the wall. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: I'd requested a quiet room, and they gave me one that was away from the elevators with a window...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights in January. The location is great -- within walking distance of everything that is wonderful in Vieux-Québec. The hotel is modern, but in an historic setting. The room was clean and comfortable. I was impressed by the bathroom layout -- so many bathrooms seems haphazardly designed, but this one was very convenient. Having the basket with a continental breakfast on the door every morning at 8AM is superb. Enjoy a leisurely breakfast in your room before heading out for the day. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful with information, directions, and suggestions. On top of it all, the hotel uses many green practices and is improving every year. One of the best hotel stays I've had.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Corniste
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

Probably the best hotel ive stayed at. The staff was great and helped with wtv we needed. The room was small however it was clean and very comfortable to stay in. Defintly recommend it if you plan on staying in old quebec.

• Stayed December 2011