“Service? What service?”

Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Me & my girlfriend wanted to eat some ethnic food that Saturday evening, around 9PM, and found this Peruvian restaurant 10 minutes away from where we live in LaSalle. At first, the place was very noisy with lots of children, whose parents didn't seem to care at all that they were running, yelling & disturbing people in the place. We told ourselves that they were probably gonna leave soon enough, so, we entered and quickly were seated. Place was three-quarter full, and around 30 people can be seated.

There were 3 waiters, and they always seemed to be running, even though they didn't seem to be that busy... The waiter brought us 2 glass of water and some bread. It took them around 10 minutes to take our orders. My girlfriend ordered a "Ceviche Mixto", which consists of cold fish marinated in lemon juice, and I ordered a Peruvian plate with beef (Sorry, don't remember the name!), as well as a Inka Cola. The waiter brought us our plates, around 10 minutes later. Both plates tasted good, but I never got my Cola. The waiter NEVER came back to ask us if everything was OK, not even refilled our water glasses, and we were very thirsty. He simply didn't look at us at all for the rest of our meal. We had to wait several minutes, when we were done eating, before he came to our table and take the plates away, asking if we wanted some dessert. At least, the bill was OK, no Cola charged. The place in itself is loud & small, which amplifies every sound, and the service is very bad. Food was OK, but don't expect good service there, I personnally won't go back there.

1  Thank Steff68

Reviewed 14 April 2010

I love Villa Wellington. All of the seafood dishes are amazing (the rest... meh, not so much). Go for the parihuela (seafood soup), ceviche and jalea (fried seadfood). heavenly! I went with a big group recently and we ate a ridiculous amount, and when the bill was divided up it came to $12 each (no drinks or tip). Amazing!

Reviewed 14 December 2009

The decor has recently changed: now more seating is available (since the place is ALWAYS packed even after 9pm on a Wednesday night), but gone is the Peruvian ambiance. The old hats and knickknacks that used to adorn the walls are now nowhere to be seen.

Lighting is now suspiciously dim (to hide the defects with their food?) except when it's someone's birthday, where the lights brighten to a soundtrack of a cute slightly-mispronounced birthday song. This is the only reason I might recommend the joint for entertainment purposes.

The first 2 times I went there, I was extremely happy with everything and recommended it to others. But in January 2009 I had a miserable experience. I'd reserved a table for 8. Two people were late to arrive, and the staff rudely tried to split our table to accommodate a couple who came in with no reservations. The uprooting caused 4 of us to change seats after we'd already been served, and when our late-comers arrived, we had to ask for extra chairs to squeeze us all in.

The waitress was rude, could barely speak English or French, got my order wrong, and called me SIR when I'm clearly FEMALE.

Only one of my co-diners was happy with their coriander chicken. Another, who had the chicken in cream sauce said there was too much sauce and hardly any chicken. The sauce itself had no real flavor to it and there was nothing such as vegetables to break up the monotony of the heaping plate of cream-and-chicken. One of the entrees was listed very enticingly as a type of chicken salad, but turned out to be (likely) chicken from a can with mayo. One of our late-comers found a hair in her food, which was replaced by salsa and chips, at her cost!

For nearly a year, I refused to go back, but tonight decided to give it one more try, thinking I may have just had bad luck that last time. WRONG. Hair in the food again, lack of attentiveness from the staff, and when I dropped my change to pay at the poorly-lit, cramped cash area, the staff just shrugged, saying 'Sorry, I'm not bending down to find it'. They let me search aimlessly for it on my side until I realized it had rolled under the counter onto theirs. Leaving behind the 2.50$ in lost change, I felt somehow very cheated, as I hadn't planned to leave any tip, let alone this hefty tip for hairy food and unhelpful staff.

I'd planned to ask for a doggie bag since my dish looked like about a pound of (very dry) chicken, and I could not finish 3/4 of it. Because of the frustration at the cash and with the hair in my co-diner's food, I completely forgot to ask for my food to be wrapped up. I might also point out, that we sat at our table for at least 40 minutes, hoping someone would come by to ask if we were done or wanted the rest to go. Nobody ever did. Though they didn't charge for my friend's meal, I felt grumpy about the quality of my own, and seeing a friend dissatisfied with the food does not encourage me to continue enjoying my portion. It puts a damper on the whole thing, and makes me wonder how many hairballs I myself may have ingested without noticing.

I felt frustrated when we left and decided not to go back to haggle for the remainder of my meal.

The only good things about the evening? The aroma of the food before we'd ordered, and the dulce de leche dessert - a sort of cookie sandwich, which after-the fact (we took out), left my dining partner and I feeling DIRTY. I won't be back again. Neither will the friends or family I'd previously encouraged to go to the Villa.

2  Thank bustrainboatwalk
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 7 May 2009

What a strange name for a Latin american restaurant - food was good but not remarkable.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 3 January 2008

Some of the best food I've ever had. Excellent seafood. Will go anytime.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook