“Transcendent Toque!”
Review of Toque

Toque
Reserve with OpenTable
Toque is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #84 of 6,368 Restaurants in Montreal
Price range: USD 58 - USD 100
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Quartier International
Cross street: Saint-Antoine
Description: 16 years ago Toque! opened featuring local produce: a showcase for Quebec's terroir and its suppliers. The ongoing contributions of these artisans is no less important today. We have them to thank for foie gras de canard or salicornia; lamb of heirloom vegetables; seafood or fine herbs. These tireless farmers, foragers and fishermen inspire Toque!'s cuisine, on which they bestow tastes, textures and natural aromas and unparalleled freshness.
Reviewed 8 October 2018

My wife and I visited Toque for a Friday lunch and it was absolutely divine. For starters, it's a lovely atmosphere inside, and although it's what I would classify as fine dining, it's not stuffy or snooty.

Our server Perrine was fantastic. Knowledgeable, friendly and hard working. My wife loved her Cremant and I loved my "Italians Do It Bitter" cocktail - it's very unique and tasty. I wanted another one (I didn't.) We had a nice bottle of Nebbiolo which improved as it breathed.

My wife's butternut squash soup was very good, but almost laughably tiny. I mean, about five or six spoonfuls. This was about the only complaint we had... it could have been double the size and still a reasonably small appetizer. My foie gras was exquisite and the spiced bread cubes really added a unique flavour. It became apparent quickly that this place has an inventive chef.

I had the venison dish which was delicious, and my wife had the guinea fowl which was even better. It's rare that I prefer her choice of main dish to my own, but it was just so beautifully prepared and served, we both couldn't believe it. Truly excellent.

For dessert, the carrot cake for me was rich and delicious - and not the standard hunk of cake with icing, it was served in a bowl with raisin puree and a cream poured on top... and for my wife, the apple boulangere (with whipped popcorn creme anglaise, toffee popcorn, pine nut brittle and apple sorbet.) You can probably tell by the description just how good these both were.

A couple of post-meal drinks to finish things off, and we left very satisfied and very impressed. We will definitely return, and definitely recommend it to friends!

Reviewed 7 October 2018

Top class restaurant - superb staff - really enjoyed the food and the whole experience - given it's reputation it was inevitably busy but it's all well organised - next time in Montreal we will be going again

Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

Ambience 4*, service 5* and food 5*
A bit pretenscious but for an anniversary or celebratory occasion, perfect. We didn't go for the 7 course tasting menu which I am sure would have been very good, but went à la carte. Scott had the scallops and I had the tuna tartare. Scallops won the day. Next up the pork loin and crispy pork belly v the duck. I won with the duck though the pork belly was so good my cheeky husband asked for seconds on that piece and the kitchen brought out more servings, one for him and one for me. Delicious. We finished up with poached apple for Scott and cheese plate for me. Both excellent choices. With a bottle of wine and two cocktails, bill came to over CA 380. Not cheap but worth it for that special occasion.

Reviewed 3 October 2018

Nice wine collection, Tuna from the belly, but too salt and umami (ie that spoiled my appetite a bit) great dessert though
traditional french cuisine, service was excellent

Reviewed 1 October 2018

We had dinner and chose the tasting menu with the premium wine pairing. The dinner was very carefully put together. The first cources where simple in flavors and light, we were served a fresh bit of fresh sea bass, and also a plate of tuna tartar. At the time I thought good, but in hindsight the Chief was just warmup our palate. Then came the froie gras it was outstanding, served with a blueberry bread, the combination really worked. Then can a piece of tuna from Gasbe Bay fresh and served naturally the Chief allowed the tuna to be the star of the plate. Next came a squab which had a tasty sauce. The cheese and desert were wonderful and very local in flavor, maple syrup and other local ingredients. I ordered the wine pairing 5 glasses not 7 glasses. All the wines were really outstanding and paired with the food. This is one of the best wine pairing I have ever experienced. The service was great and well paste and the wine always came before the food arrived. If Toque is within you budget GO AND ENJOY!