“Lovely place, run by lovely people.”

Angelica Blue Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #24 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
New York
“Lovely place, run by lovely people.”
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Our first interaction with Angelica Blue was their website, which is kind of a graphic mess and connotes none of the immense charm of the place (sue me, I am a web and graphic designer by trade). Once we got past that, every interaction with Lyne Soucy, the owner, was great: before we got there she was helpful in any and every way.

When we arrived, we were a little perplexed that no one answered the door. Lyne was next door, where she lives, so if no one answers, try the doorbell on the house immediately to the left! Then again, it was really my fault: she had sent me the code to the door via email, and I'd forgotten to bring it!

Once inside, we found the entire place to be charming and restful. We had the premiere room there, the 'Royal Suite' which has an en-suite bathroom, and it was lovely, with serene morning light, great furniture, decorations etc. and a FANTASTIC mattress - easily the best mattress I've ever slept on in a B&B or hotel. The only caveat is that the lights could be higher. I am over 6 feet tall, and Lyne is quite short, so when she had the lights installed she probably didn't realize that when a guy like me jumps out of bed in the morning, he's liable to ding his head on the light.

The morning breakfasts, replete with freshly-made right-out-of-the-oven muffins, fruit and yogurt, coffee and all the rest were great, and a lovely way to start a cold February day.

The neighborhood has pluses and minuses. The biggest plus is that it's in the heart of Montreal, centrally located near the metro. it's easy to walk or metro to any part of the city quickly from here. Nearby you'll find all kinds of food etc. However, you will also find a few seedy strip clubs etc. centered in this neighborhood. Didn't bother us, but good to know for folks who might be sensitive to this. We found great vietnamese food nearby, and great shopping too.

We were also there during Montreal's 'festival of lights' which is a fun and madcap attempt by the city to get people out and about during the cold winter. And it worked: costumes, music, sausages and marshmallows you can buy to put on a stick and roast over an open fire. it had a sort of rave/Burning Man quality to it that was great fun, during the day, but especially at night with large projections on a huge dome and DJs whipping up aural and visual delights. The epicenter of the festival was probably 4 short blocks away from Angelica. But Angelica is on a quiet side street, immune from the noise of late night revelers etc. That's the beauty of it: you are near everything, but insulated on a nice little side street.

We also left behind some clothing after we left, and Lyne kindly sent it to us here in the US, gratis. How could you ask for better service than that?

I would say that all in all, Angelica is the best B&B I've ever stayed at. The only reason that I rated 'value' as very good instead of excellent is because it is at the high-end of prices that we found in our research - but you get what you pay for!

Room Tip: If you want a room with an en-suite bathroom, I think there's only one, and it's the most ex...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank samc1959

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We regret we had to cut the vacation short due to family emergency bc we were loving this place. The breakfast was the high point! Lyne was very friendly and accomodating but not overly "involved" which sometimes happens in a B&B setting--Lyne gave just enough attention.
The neighborhood is going through major changes and has some serious construction going on (we did not hear any noises) the neighborhood is also very trendy and current and seems to be going through gentrification with the addition of upscale condos and the new hospital, so there are a number of colorful characters in the neighborhood-- harmless... but for those of you who are more sensitive, there is a police station on the same block. I never felt unsafe but I do live in NYC.

I think this very well may be the best deal and best kept secret in Montreal, the location cannot be beat-- 4 blocks or less to Berri Uquam and St. Laurent metro stations that get you just about anywhere in the city you want to go. A nice 6 or so block to Old Montreal. Did I mention the breakfasts? These are not toast and jelly or cereal an orange. These are extensive, well prepared meals! Fresh cut fruit cocktails (mango papaya, berries) yogart, fresh baked muffins, omletts, fresh baked pastries, bagel and lox... cheese cookies...
The only reason this is not getting 6 stars is because the decoration is a bit dated and could stand to be modernized and the beds were not made/linens were not replaced daily, and we had an in room shower so we had a of suite shared bathroom, minor issues and not something I needed for this short weekend trip. I might add that I have re-booked this place a 2nd time for F1 weekend and will be staying in another room with in suite bathroom and cannot be more excited to visit the Angelica Blue again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Victorian. I would recommend this room for couples and not friends as the shower is...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My husband and I stayed with our 2 month old baby for four nights in March 2012. We were delighted with our room (the Victorian) and everything about our stay. Lyne and Selma treated us with such hospitality and kindness. We had wonderful breakfasts each morning and they were very accommodating of my special diet owing to my baby's allergies. The room was very clean and the bed was extrmely comfortable. The location is ideal - a short walk to Berri-UQAm and Champ de Mars metro stops. Also, it is right near a police headquarters, so we felt safe. We had no complaints and will definitely return on our next visit to Montreal.

Room Tip: The victorian was very comfortable and nicely decorated.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 17 February 2012

nice host and nice breakfast! i got a good memory in montreal ! thx Lyne !

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Ha- That was my attempt to speak in French. Anyway, this B&B cannot be beat in Montreal.

The location is downtown. You can walk, you can cab it anywhere, the cab drivers knew exactly where it was. Really central.

The building and rooms are so charming! We stayed in a small room on the first floor. The owner took care to restore the rooms to highlight the historic building and it shows. Our bed was comfortable.

The breakfast!! For an inexpensive hotel, they could have skimped on the breakfast- not here! Fresh, homemade muffins, local bagels, lox, fruit and hot coffee and tea. All are served with a smile and a little conversation by the owner Lynn and her niece. You really feel like you are a welcomed guest. Also to note- we asked what time breakfast was, their response, "What time would you like it?" I have never seen that sort of accommodation before.

We came for New Years but think the Jazz Fest *just down the street would be even better!
Enjoy this place.

Room Tip: The two rooms downstairs have a shared bathroom- choose a room upstairs if you are not comfortable s...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family