“Stylish and Convenient” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Stylish and Convenient”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

We have stayed in Le Germain (Mercer Street) in Toronto twice and were anxious to see how the Montreal version stacked up. We were not disappointed. First, the location is great, being close to McGill University, St. Catherine Street and Central Station. Then the lobby is chic and dramatic with a wall of glass, beautiful flower arrangements, a fire place and coffee/espresso/cappuccino available all the time.

Our room and bathroom were both quite large and contained the glass wall with venetian blinds between the shower/tub and the room, which I assume is a Germain signature feature. Both contained so many interesting design elements that it was fun to look at all of them individually. For example, shelves which appeared to have large holes in the middle of them were actually covered with glass. I loved the creativity of it all. In my experience large chain hotels, even the most expensive ones tend to be boring in comparison.

This will be our hotel from now on in Montreal.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bic20
GermainMontreal, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Dear Bic20,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with our current and future travellers. We really appreciate the time you took the inform us of the wonderful stay you had with us. We are pleased to be your Montreal destination from now on!

Thanks again!

Dan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Road Town, Tortola
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

well located and properly built so its modern features stand the test of time well. Very nicely appointed room - although the see through into the bath is slightly un-nerving at first. On the other hand its light in there! Hard to fault as a classy boutique hotel in a good location. Not sure about the restaurant that served only appetiser sized (not tapas !!! as we were told) portions - slow service and mediocre taste. Not up to the rest of the hotel. Enjoy the hotel and eat out.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GermainMontreal, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear marcus w,

We really appreciate hearing feedback form our customers. Great and constructive comments are always welcome. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Rest assure that I will communicate with the Laurie Raphael Montreal to inquire about your experience.

Hopefully we will see you soon with us and don't hesitate to contact us in advance for restaurant recommendation and reservation.

Brussels
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

This is still an attractive place to stay in but the feeling of care and quirky choices which longtime regulars to the hotel will remember fondly (remember the love letter from your mattress awaiting you on the bed?) are now definitely gone.

The feeling is much more impersonal, like a good but quite large hotel. Too bad.
During my recent stay, reception was very friendly but the restaurant was so frustrating that I gave up and ordered room service which turned out to be unexceptional as well.

My room was still nice and comfortable and early morning availability of good coffee matters to me - but the spell has been broken.
Even though the hotel is extremely convenient to my usual business destinations in Montreal I am now ready to explore the alternatives.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GermainMontreal, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
First, I would like to thank you for your honest review. I would like to offer my sincere apologies regarding the situation at the restaurant. We work really hard to create an amazing overall experience but it seems we failed you this time. I do hope you will revisit us as it is convenient for your business trip. Please contact me directly and we will sure you get that long time regular customer experience.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

We wanted to book something different... the location was great. But the hotel was over-priced. The lunch was a joke. Server staff were very polite and did their job well, but the kitchen served tiny portions of nothing tasting food. The room was fine - nothing to write home about. The 300CAD was a bit OTT as we got a junior suite at the Intercontinental for same price and it was a huge suite with club longue access, etc. Late check out till 16.00 was not a problem. The spa there was awesome as well.

Room Tip: upper floor? the building is an old office converted so there is not really any differences that i n...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us. I hope we will have the chance to show you the real Germain Montreal experience in the near future.

Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed here for one night as a treat while visiting family. Having grown up in Montreal i had been to the Le Germain once before and had a wonderful time.

Our stay here this last time wasn't as memorable as I wanted it to be. The room as nice, super clean, modern, a nice view. We paid close to $300 for the night and I was hoping the service would be a reflection for that and it wasn't. The staff, apart from the doorman who all stand-offish and in the restaurant they couldn't find my husbands name on the "guest list" so we were made to feel like were trying to get breakfast for free when in actual fact the room was in my name and my husband had just been put down as "guest" They ended up allowing him in since I had booked a room for 2. In the end that experience didn't leave the best overall feeling for me. We aren't picky people...i've stayed at super cheap and super pricey hotels..for us it's how we're treated that makes all the difference and here Le Germain fell short on the day we were there.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Everhale
GermainMontreal, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at the Germain Montreal. I am glad that you like our product as we work really hard to keep it in great condition. I am sorry to hear that you encountered an unfortunate incident with our colleagues at the Laurie Raphael Montreal. Please rest assure that your comment will not go unnoticed and we will manage and train our staff in order to avoid such a situation in the future. We hope that we will have the chance to see you again in the near future.