“Our favorite Montreal spot”

Chateau de l'Argoat
Ranked #58 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We go to Montreal about once a year, and ALWAYS stay at the Chateau L'Argoat. It is a small European-style hotel: wonderful, warm friendly service, clean rooms, and ideally located across the street from a Metro stop and with dozens (possibly hundreds) of terrific, varied restaurants within a few blocks walking distance. And, it is very easy to get to by car, and has free parking. We drive there, leave the car, and don't use it till it's time to go home.

There is free internet (though connection can be a bit flaky, depending on your room), and continental breakfast is included in the reasonable price. Why would we stay elsewhere?

Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Stars4449

Reviewed 10 December 2011

My visit to Montreal was wonderful and to come back to this place every night made it complete. My husband and I stayed at lArgoat for a week. I didn't know really what to expect and was found to be pleasantly surprised. Perfect location. Nice bedding, comfortable beds are important to me and this did not disappoint. The local made lavendar soap in the bathroom was so nice I even brought one home with me just as a lingering reminder. I don't think they liked that too much as the next day it was replaced with regular soap. I loved the breakfast room: the coffee, fresh pastries, muffins and bagels, the music, the wonderful service all very appreciated and so friendly. Thank you. I would definatly stay here again upon a return to Montreal.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank INeedMoreFun
Reviewed 29 November 2011

My wife, grown daughter and I stayed here for three nights during the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend. My daughter selected the place after some internet seaching.
The stay was very pleasant. The rooms we had was large and comfortable, and clean. The service at the hotel was above average. The location of the hotel is perfect for visitors.
We had no trouble changing our plans and checking out earlier than expected- they were very accomodating. A highlight of this hotel is the morning breakfast. It is listed as a "continental" breakfast but is served in a very European fashion. Delicious muffins, croissants, bagels, juice, coffee, etc. all served by an extremely attentive waiter or waitress. Surprising good! I would definitely recommend. Only issue is that is close to Sherbrooke Street, a very busy street which leads to noise during the night (especially on Friday night). Try for a room that is NOT facing the street.

Room Tip: Get a room that is not facing the street (maybe the noise level will be lessened)
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2011

To repeat what so many others have said: great location, friendly and helpful bilingual staff, close to attractions, and reasonable continental breakfast. If I return to Montreal, I'd surely try to book here.
Just to cover some tips perhaps not cited: the Montreal metro is very easy to use, and quick. We saved a bundle on cabs, and I hate driving in a large and unfamiliar city - esp. when I don't speak the language. The metro station is at most one block away. Maps of the metro system are readily available, and are very easy to understand even if one speaks no French. There are multiple route lines with transfer stations, and the guide books tell you which metro station to use. But be aware - the system is not friendly to people with mobility problems!
In regard to parking, I gave them my spare keys and kept my set. That way one can access your car to get or store belongings.
Safe neighborhood near 2 universities. Be aware that Euro bed standards are smaller than US standards - roughly 6 inches narrower (verify for yourself).
The continental breakfast is - consistent with the name itself, lighter and smaller than the typical US breakfast. Enjoy it for what it is, as you try a French lifestyle. It was tasty and well presented.
There is no elevator, but staff were VERY helpful in regard to luggage.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dalton2265
Reviewed 1 October 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 4-night stay in this lovely hotel. What a comfortable and charming place to stay in Montreal. ALL the staff were very friendly and helpful with directions, and suggestions on things to do - and always with a smile! The breakfast room was such a cozy place to enjoy the coffee and croissants along with other tasty selections - loved the cranberry muffins! Nice, quiet neighborhood - yet still close enough to many attractions. We really enjoyed our stay in Montreal and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple