“Busy atmosphere...but a neat spot to visit”
Review of La Carnita

La Carnita
Reserve with OpenTable
La Carnita is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #678 of 9,378 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: USD 12 - USD 23
Neighbourhood: Downtown West
Neighbourhood: Downtown West
Reviewed 6 April 2018

The food was okay but nothing entirely special
I liked the atmosphere and the music was great. It’s on the pricey side for meals and the drink menu has a lot of options, I would recommend this spot to other...

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

When visiting Toronto my friend showed me this place and it was hands down the best tacos I've ever had. I had three tacos, priced at around 5 or 6 CAD per taco, and they were all amazing! I will definitely return next time I'm in town.

Reviewed 25 February 2018

I was craving Mexican while in Toronto and had done some research on nearby restaurants and La Carnita had popped up on several sites with good reviews. I wanted to make a last-minute reservation on Sunday evening of long-weekend but unfortunately OpenTable showed they were fulling booked. I tried calling several times to see if they could squeeze us in, but no luck...the phones weren't answered. The restaurant wasn't far away however so we took a quick walk over.

The woman who greeted us was very friendly and told us that although no tables were available at the present time she would call us when one was available. Not too long after our initial interaction a table was freed up and we were ready to enjoy our meal!

Our waiter was less than stellar and seemed bothered by the fact that we asked a couple questions about the menu. No patience and no customer service. He could learn a few things from the blonde who welcomed us!

We started with the tortilla chips & dip. This was a very sizeable platter and was more than enough for the four of us to share. Dips were delicious -- I would highly recommended.

For the main, I had tacos. I should note that the prices on the menu are for one taco. I actually liked this because it gave you the opportunity to sample a variety of tacos -- some restaurants have menus with prices for 3 tacos (all the same) which doesn't allow you to get a taste of everything you want! They recommend 2-3 tacos per person. I chose to go with the buffalo cauliflower (daily special), In Cod We Trust & Pollo Frito. The tacos were average for me but my favourite of the three would have been the Pollo Frito.

The tacos for the entire table are served on a large platter and you can divvy them up once they arrive. Small plates are provided for eating. I would have preferred to have my tacos served on my own plate but not a deal breaker.

I got to sample my tablemate's Barbacoa Baby Back Ribs (Sunday special) and they were delicious! I would get those if I were ever to venture back.

I enjoyed the atmosphere of the restaurant. It definitely caters to a younger population and has a louder rock vibe...not somewhere you want to have a quiet conversation.

I think it would be a great place for drinks and chips with friends but not a standout restaurant for me.

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

The level of service received and great taste and freshness of food was way more than what I expected when I found this hole in the wall. The bartender was extremely knowledgeable about food and beer, and so nice! I was blown away by the food, it was excellent! The ribs looked great, should have tried them. My favorite was the street corn and cod taco. Some menu items seem a little pricey, but we'll worth the money to me. Superb job!

Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

We ate at La Carnita on our way to Second City. Food was amazing and best Mexican food ever. Service was great and drinks were also good. The only thing that would make the experience better would be to play Mexican music. Was a great start to our night.