“Peking duck & lobster feast”
Review of House of Gourmet

House of Gourmet
Ranked #752 of 9,292 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: USD 0 - USD 10
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Family dinner, we had a combination of peking duck and lobster feast, tasty, good food, economic pricing.

Reviewed 7 June 2017 via mobile

This restaurant in Toronto's Chinatown,serves one of the best Chinese meals that I have had world wide. The Peking duck is definitely the best I have had. Prices are very reasonable, service is great and the staff very friendly. I also had a shark fin soup after a long time. It was great!!!!!

Reviewed 1 May 2017

I have been to this restaurant a number of times and the food is good if you can wade through the menus. The real problem is getting service. I recently was at the restaurant and waiting patiently for service only to see staff wait on other who had arrived after us. waiting while other were being served and ignoring my party was just too much. even after complaining to staff they just looked at us as nobodies.
So if you are not of the liking of the staff you would be better off finding somewhere else to eat. It will save you a lot of wasted time.

Reviewed 23 March 2017

House of Gourmet has been around in Chinatown Toronto for a very long time. They serve all the usuage noodles, congee, rice dishes. We had no problem getting a table for 10. Service was fast and the food is pretty good. We liked their daily soup and their roast duck. Great place for quick lunch

Reviewed 17 February 2017

Amid mixed reviews of this busy eatery, my family and I have found it a good eatery.

It's as Cantonese as one can get: noise, traffic, gourmet dishes, small dishes, and even fusion food (such as sandwiches, salads, curries, and dumplings) like all my favorite comfort food in Macao when I was a child.

Yes, the place is a beast of noise, steam, food aromas, and table-sharing when crowded, but we have found it an honest and good place to eat: no fuss, reasonably priced, quick, and generally friendly.

It has a typical noodle-making department displayed to Dundas Street pedestrians, and when one smiles or waves at the noodle chefs, they usually smile back with steam rising from broth and noodles they put in bowls for customers.

My family and I have only bought BBQ there a few times, but it's the kitchen food that takes us back many times. If one likes Cantonese food such as rich sauces on rice and noodles, fresh vegetables, and savory seafood and meat dishes, this is the place.

Mind you, there are a few large tables reserved for single customers and twosomes to share with others when the place is busy and crowded. We have seen many solo lunchers who just want a fast, simple meal before heading back to work or school. They know House of Gourmet is always consistent, inexpensive, and satisfactory.

The place does have strong food smells because of the wide variety of dishes: spices, curries, broths, sauces, meats, seafood, pickles, and even warming medicinal casseroles -- they all contribute to a very Cantonese eating experience that I remember from childhood.

However, if you don't like this kind of Cantonese food experience, there are lots of restaurants in Toronto that specialize in Szechuan cuisine and other regional delights.

Thank you!