“favourite Ethiopian restaurant”

Ranked #1,507 of 9,299 Restaurants in Toronto
Neighbourhood: East York
Neighbourhood: East York
Reviewed 12 April 2017

This has become a regular of ours, and we eat here every couple of weeks. The food is consistently excellent. One of the things I like is that the injera (the large pancake one uses to scoop up the other food with fingers) is made from teff flour. Teff is both non gluten, and has many nutrients-- it is high in calcium, magnesium, some B vitamins and vitamin C. The service is very friendly and efficient. Another sign of this being a great spot is that many Ethiopian people eat here!

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

This was our first time trying Ethiopian food and we were pretty excited to try it.
We got the platter for two and enjoyed most of the items especially the lamb stew which we didn't originally order but they were out of beef stew. So glad we tried it because we thought it was awesome.
We also liked the lentils and the chick peas. My husband really liked the salad but n the middle.
The bread tag was served was quite different then anything else we've tried.
Funny texture but works well to use to eat everything else.
We would be willing to try it again.
The staff were friendly and welcoming.

Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

We tried this place for the first time about a year ago and keep going back! Great food, excellent portions, and a good price

Reviewed 21 January 2017 via mobile

Service:
Our sever was very sweet. As we had no clue what to order, she made a suggestion for us. I said I wanted some sort of shareable platter with different meats on it and her suggestion based on that was spot on. We ordered a bottle of wine so there wasn't much we needed from her once the food and bottle were there. The wine came in a cute basket although, I don't think she knew that when serving wine, you're supposed to open it for us. No big deal though, thankfully it was a twist off. Also, for some reason I'm more okay with that sort of thing somewhere like this than I would be elsewhere. Our waters were also filled promptly without the glass ever becoming empty.

Overall service score? Great! She made us feel as though we were guests in her own home.

Food:
We both loved the food. I believe it was #46 that we had (see photos.) It was a large platter with salad and a boiled egg in the middle (cold stuff) and the meats/veggies all along the outside. The platter was lined with their "bread" which is called Injera. It's a lovely, light and spongey. sort of like a crepe and used like naan bread. They provide an entire other tray full of rolled up Injera on the side also.
We enjoyed the spices. What we ordered wasn't overpoweringly hot or strong in any way which is nice when you've never tried something before. I liked that their spices were surprising and unlike any other international food I have tried. As for price, the large shareable platter was only $30 for the two of us to share and it was more than enough.

Overall food score? Delicious! Some of the other reviewers suggest it's not "the best" Ethiopian food out there but considering we (as well as most people out there) are not experts in Ethiopian cuisine, I thought it was fantastic and I think you will too!

Atmosphere:
Like my title suggests, I think this would be a super fun idea for a date. You eat with your hands and can share a platter. On that same note, I probably would not want to have that same experience with say, a co-worker for example. I find it to be more of an intimate dining experience, but that's just me and that's one of the reasons I like it. Of course you can order things that are individually plated as well.
Other than being a great date spot, the place is comfortable as it's mainly all booths. It's small but has ample seating and is warm and welcoming. The decor is Ethiopian themed which is nice. I think that it could be better decorated but I'm basically Martha Stewart's soul sister so I'm biased.

Overall atmosphere score? Warm, clean, welcoming. Could use a facelift but I'd rather it didn't at the risk of it becoming over-trendy.

We will definitely be returning.

1  Thank Tabitha P
Reviewed 29 October 2016 via mobile

I've been busy introducing friends to Ethiopian food for years and have 'converted' many of them to this utensil-free eating as well as the tasty flavours.

We've been sampling Ethiopian restaurants on the advice of the people who know and love them, cab drivers!

So far we've been steered to three that we absolutely love and I've been to others on my own.

Lalibela is very good but it was missing something that I can't quite put my finger on. One funny thing was the inclusion of non-Ethiopian food on the menu, which I found unfortunate.

Service was good but another server was clearly required to augment the solitary overtaxed one present. Someone else did eventually come out of the kitchen but too little too late for us. The effect this had was for my tray to come first (tepid, not hot) followed by a long gap before the other five were served. I also had to ask for my Tusker (Kenyan) beer several times before it arrived-too late and a bit too warm.

Three of us thought we'd had better Ethiopian and the five carnivores left most of the meat on their platters.

The place had filled up around us, not surprisingly since it was a Friday evening but they were understaffed and overwhelmed.

We won't be back, unfortunately, not because it was terrible just because it does not stand out in any way.

Our solitary server was very sweet.

1  Thank Veganguy