“Mixed Feelings”

Ranked #102 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Peterborough, Ontario
“Mixed Feelings”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

Not impressed upon arrival. The guy at the front desk was rude, and argumentative. I had requested on our reservation a room on the 3rd floor. When I asked him twice about this, he argued that it was a "request" not a "reservation". I figured that since he wasn't answering my question, we didn't get our "request"....wrong!! We did get our 3rd floor room, but it wasn't ready. It would've done much to calm our frazzled nerves if he'd just answered YES! We arrived 7 minutes from check in time...we waited 15 minutes before the room was ready. (On the contrary, when we called this hotel earlier, the woman we talked to was very pleasant and helpful)

When we got to our room, the bathroom floor was still wet so we know that it had just been cleaned. However, we had no washcloths, no hand towels, and the air conditioner hadn't been turned on, so the room was stuffy and hot!!

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, but the pillows were flat as pancakes. I reccommend bringing your own! We had no trouble connecting to internet. We were on the back side of hotel, so noise wasn't an issue.

Breakfast was not up to the standards of the American EconoLodges. Orange juice was little more than than orange water. 8:00 Saturday morning, and ALL the cereal was gone! They did say they were going out to get more cereal. My question is why didn't they realize on Friday night that there wasn't enough cereal for the weekend crowd!! Management needs to a better job and manage their supplies BEFORE they run out!! To their credit, they did have cereal about an hour later.

We did manage to find parking for $10 for 24 hours right across from Ryerson University on Gerrard. So that was a bonus! Probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank 4givN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2011

I booked two nights in Toronto very last minute on hotwire. When I discovered I had booked the Econolodge and then read the terrible reviews I was very concerned. I thought I'd give it a go anyways, and I brought a couple other hotel numbers on standby.

I was very pleasantly surprised when I entered the hotel to see a clean and modern reception area, and I was assisted by a very friendly and efficient employee. My room was clearly updated quite recently, with dark wood furniture, including a large armoire for storing my suitcase. The carpets, curtains, etc. were all in excellent repair, the bathroom was basic but very clean, and there was no odour at all in the hallway or my room.
The free breakfast consists of juice, coffee, cereal and bagels- not a lot, but a quick way to start your day. The breakfast room was also clean and modern, with newspapers available, and a small TV screen showing the days' news. There is also free wi-fi throughout.
That being said, I will make a couple of suggestions. As others have mentioned, there are three floors, and no elevators. If you're traveling with heavy luggage/multiple pieces/elderly/disabled/young children, CALL AHEAD and request a floor on the first room. Also, some of the rooms face Jarvis, which has steady traffic. A $2 pair of earplugs could change your experience from a lousy stay to a relaxing and issue-free one. Or request a room on the other side of the hotel.
Overall, I would say this is a fine two star hotel. It is not glamorous, but 2-stars very rarely are. It is a basic, central and adequate place to crash, and you can't beat the price. I paid $60/night on hotwire.com... you can barely get a shared hostel room for that price in large urban centres.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank TropicalMeg
OTTAWA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for a weekend in April 2011 because it was affordable however we would never stay there again. For two days, there was no warm water therefore we couldnt shower....
Also, the walls are very very thin so good luck sleeping!

One positive was that the hotel staff were helpful when we asked for directions however they managed to charge my credit card for an extra night... I would avoid this hotel if you can especially if you want sleep.

I should also add that the area is a bad area and if you are parking a vehicle make sure you do not leave any valuables out in the open... I saw one cars window get smashed and broken into so be aware!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Ottawa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2011

The staff members are so rude, Before reservation, I called to get more information, The smoking room was not available. She told me that it is fine and I can select the non smoking room. When we checked in, actually same lady was in reception and she said it is fine. The first night, the room was too noisy and we could not sleep at all. The bathroom was not cleaned properly (there was lots of hairs). I was in Toronto for medical reason, I went to clinic and back around noon and ask to change the room. At this time I was forbidden to smoke for 48 hours. Therefore, I used nicotine patch during my treatment in Toronto.
We change the room, sleep for 1 hour and back to clinic. In the morning I went to reception for the checkout, they told me they charged my credit card $100 more, since they think we smoke in the room. I told them that I did not smoke in the room, and can they come to the room to see it. They refused to come to room to check it with me. They told me they can charge me for $5000, I requested to give me the ticket. But they refuse it. They not giving any receipt for their extra charge. How they know without checking that we smoked in room. I think they are doing same thing for many people and cash the money for themselves.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Port Colborne, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

Internet only works in a few rooms.
Bathroom had multiple hairs on the toilet and tub. Obviously was not properly cleaned.
Noisy rooms - kept up all night long.

When you complain they argue with you instead of taking you seriously and working to an acceptable medium which in my case would have been a major discount on the room that night.

I have been to this location other times with little problem but I will not be back after dealing with the front desk after this stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business