Drake Hotel Toronto
USD 373*
USD 362*
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewscrash padjonathan leclairecoolest hotelwelcome homethe hotel managerqueen streetno elevatorrooftop barlittle touchesnight liferooms are smallstreetcar stopthe entire staffthird floorhipstercrashpadwest
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This was my second stay in Toronto, so wanted to see a different side to the City than the financial district. Despite its overly fussy website, the Drake seemed to hit the spot, though when I got there my first impressions were if the place was trying too hard to be hip and was it going to be completely pretentious. After 3 days, I concluded that it was not. It is a great alternative to the usual bland hotel rooms. But you have to know a few points:

Queen St West is a very mixed area full of deli's, boutiques, coffee houses, tattoo parlours, galleries and bike shops. A super mix that reminded me of Notting Hill, London (pre the movie). The hotel is located some way from the financial district, so if you have an early morning meeting there, then forget it. For those who don't, the street cars run up and down all day (and night) and it takes about 25 mins to get to the financial district. The road is noisy at night and (despite the double glazing) I would not want to be located at the front of the hotel. I guess many people staying here won't be coming back until late anyway.

The rooms are small, but the space has been used creatively and are well appointed. The free wireless and Ipod docking station were particularly great, as was the shower. However this is simply glazed and some might prefer a greater degree of privacy. Some basics were missed - no plug and no coffee/tea making facilities were, IMO, an oversight.

The breakfast cafe was super and the cuisine delivered to the other dining areas was well executed, if a touch small in choice. Great atmosphere in the bars with continual evening entertainment provided to the local hipsters. A hotel is only as good as its service and here the staff were young, but all very polite, charming and happily dealt with my requests. The associated gym, located 5 mins away, was top notch (though no pool).

For the more adventurous, the Drake is a must stay. However watch out for the noise from the main road. Would I stay again - most definitely, but only if I could get the room I wanted.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ranger2705
Reviewed 21 March 2012

This is nicest boutique hotel I have stayed at in a long time. Friendly, funky, well-designed home from home, great food and incredibly nice staff (Suzie, Craig, Pam etc).
It has a club and a bar but my room was not at all noisy and I wanted to stay a lot longer than my four days. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 March 2012

My husband and I were in Toronto for work, scheduled to stay at a large downtown hotel when I came across the reviews for the Drake on Tripadvisor. We decided this place sounded a lot more interesting, so we switched our reservations over, and I'm very happy we did.

Location is incredibly convenient - West Queen West is a straight shot by streetcar to anywhere you'd need to be, and there are so many great restaurants and shops nearby, we found ourselves enjoying a 3-4 km walk between conference and hotel just because we wanted to stop in at so many places. The hotel is right across from a public parking lot, where we easily prepaid for the whole stay's worth of parking, no worries at all.

The hotel itself is easy to find and just lovely - modern design, a great gift shop of quirky presents, fantastic bath products, and an all-around friendly and cool atmosphere that never crossed into hipper-than-thou territory.

I had been a little worried about noise since it was St Patricks Day weekend and I had to be up early every day, but the sounds of the restaurant faded as soon as we walked into the room hall, and only one or two short instances of chatter were all we ever heard or saw of other guests or pedestrians, even though we were just on the 2nd floor. (Room 205 was perfect.)

One aside: I saw several reviews here mentioned the manager by name, and how fantastic he was. I found this a little surprising, since how many places that aren't b&b do you even meet the manager? However, we had a minor issue with our room (pipe leaking), and not only did Jonathan find us for a personal chat about it with options, he was so incredibly nice and helpful about it that I could immediately see why people remember his name and rave about him.

I would absolutely stay here again. I would not recommend the place to older guests uncomfortable with a semi-club atmosphere in the evenings, or those with kids who need space or amenities of chain hotels, but thumbs up to couples, close friends (the glass showers are awesome but there is no mystery to be had), and those passing through wanting something beyond a cookie cutter room!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank JayTheBay
Reviewed 19 March 2012

My partner and I just spent our anniversary at The Drake and swore we will regularly find reasons to return. Jonathon and all of the staff give the place its 'heart' and add to the pampering that the funky rooms( including 'steps from the bed' shower and amenities plus uber-comfy mattress and comforter), great artwork and fabulous food provide. Despite their being a live band downstairs, our room was peacefully quiet. Grabbing coffee and fresh baked goodies from the diner downstairs made checking out a delight. Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you to Jonathon et al for making our stay so incredible. Can't wait to come back!
Annie & Jeff

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I booked the Drake for an anniversary surprise for my wife, with dinner at Scaramouche thrown in. The hotel room was good, although a little expensive at $279 plus tax.

In our room was a noisy fan heater, which I managed to switch off after fiddling with the wall thermostat for five minutes.

On returning from dinner we discovered that someone had been in the room, plumped the pillows and turned the heater on. There was a bad smell of burning, the kind you get when you switch on a dusty heater for the first time in months.

That pretty much ended the special date night, as I spent 20 minutes trying to ventilate the room and make the air breathable.

On check out I mentioned this disappointment, but the front desk lady just shrugged and said "I'm sure it's fine". I don't know whether she meant that the heater was fine, or the burning smell ruining my stay was fine.

I won't be visiting the Drake again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OakvilleChipmunk
Jonathan_LeClaire, Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Dear Oakville Chipmunk.

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me earlier and again; I hope you and your wife can accept my sincerest apologies. I am saddened that we caused such frustration on an important date night.

As we discussed, our hotel rooms recently underwent some exciting renovations, and it seems the heater in your room may have been damaged during construction; the unit has since been replaced. This, however, is no excuse for your discomfort and our failure to provide you and your wife the best possible experience you expected from us.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience, and hope you do give us a try again. I promise, you will be pleasantly surprised.

X[OH!]