“What a New Years Nightmare”

Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre
Ranked #50 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“What a New Years Nightmare”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I cannot believe my experience here. I had to actually write to the general manager as his staff were incompetent, insulting and extremely condescending. Here's a story for you:

I booked a boutique suite through Travel Sensations valued at $309.00 for 4 guests. I have documentation for this reservation. Upon arrival, I was asked to sign some waivers and was informed that my reservation was correct for the amount and for 4 guests. The woman pointed out that any additional guest(s) will have an extra charge of $50/person. I explained to her that my reservations include the 4 guests so there should not be any additional costs. She clarified it for the second time that the reservation was for 4 guests.

Next morning, at the time of checkout I spoke to a gentleman named Ibrahim who surprised me with an amount of $409.00 for the rate of the room. He told me that I was being charged for the extra 2 guests. Astonished, I questioned this charge and all he said was, “You signed the papers”. Even after presenting my reservation documents from Travel Sensations he continued to say that I had signed the papers without providing any explanation. At this point, I asked to speak to the manager. Ibrahim notified me that “Tom” was manager on duty but was unavailable as he stepped out. Furthermore to my disappointment, he was unable to tell me when Tom will be back to assist me. I asked Ibrahim to contact me when Tom immediately comes back as I am not authorizing this payment until it is settled in fairness.

While waiting for Tom's call, I decided to go back after two hours. To my surprise he was back at reception. After explaining the whole matter to him including the provided documents from Travel Sensations, all he told me was “Is this your Signature?” “Well, you signed the papers,” and “How much more clarification do you need?” I not only felt baffled but also belittled as his tone and language was extremely condescending and inappropriate towards any client for that matter. In addition, he stated “Personally, if it was me I would have read the papers more thoroughly”. After feeling insulted, I asked for his manager’s number and was presented with the General Manager's contact.

After three days I finally got in contact with the General Manager (Mark) who reviewed the case. All he replied to me was "I have enclosed the adjustment to your credit card and apologize for not making this correction during your check in."

I am still extremely disappointed with Pantages Hotel as it's not the $100.00 I was concerned about but rather the customer service. The staff here are disrespectful, condescending and extremely rude. Avoid this Hotel at all costs.

Room Tip: Do not book any rooms in this hotel. Save the hassle and book elsewhere. The worst customer service...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank Slushee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I pre-paid for two nights through an internet site, showed the confirmation email upon check in. Gave a credit card for incidentals when upon check out, the card was billed again! My stay consisted of a Friday-Sunday stay. I was charged as a "no show" on Saturday night! How is that possible? I am working to get $500 of the $800 back from this hotel! My bank can't do anything. I am in the states fighting to get my money back! I am extremely unhappy with this experience. The room was not what I expected either. Not to mention this was my birthday trip. An unhappy birthday it was.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank Melissa F
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 24 December 2011

We enjoyed our one night stay at Pantages, but there were a few things that bothered me. The modern style of the hotel is great...but when you look closely, everything is dirty. There we marks on everything! The hotel staff was kind but uninformative. The room was nice although it would have been much better to on a higher floor than the 4th. Pantages is centrally located which makes it excellent for shopping and dining out. (St. Micahaels Hospital, Masse Hall & Younge St are all near by) Overall, I wouldn't stay at Pantages again. It was pretty pricey for what you got. (Parking $35.00 - One night) The large beds are very nice, but the mattress was so hard and uncomfortable.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jessica B
Olean, New York
Reviewed 17 December 2011

We had an excellent one night stay last week at Pantages. The location is perfect, easy to get to, parking is available at a public garage directly across the street or valet at the hotel itself. We were in town for a concert at Massey Hall, which is across the street as well. Eaton Center is one short block away - ideal! Check in was quick and easy with the very friendly Ibrahim. He was thorough in explaining the hours and events happening at the hotel that evening. I requested a room on a higher floor, and we got an Urban Suite on the 13th floor. The room was fantastic! Very spacious, clean, loved the kitchen area in the room. Excellent views of the city. All staff that we encountered were extremely friendly, welcoming, and thanked us for staying with them. Ricky, the valet, was always welcoming when we returned to the hotel. Overall, a great experience, and we will absolutely stay here whenever we are in Toronto.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Kate2263
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 16 December 2011

We have been there for 5 nights and it was a good experience.

The room was good sized and modern and spotless.

The reception staff are fluctuating, generally male staff are nicer than female ones, even their English is better.

The breakfast was a disaster, nothing worth to get up early for it, the only great thing about it was meeting Gabrilla the waitress which was really nice to all of the guest and very welcoming, she was even trying to teach my wife some English every day :)

The location is the best thing about it, 3 minutes walking to Dundas square where you get to everywhere.

overall positive experience

Room Tip: skip the breakfast, it does not wroth it
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple