New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #53 of 120 Toronto B&B and Inns
utah
“I love Pimblett's!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

This is the fourth year that I have stayed at this B&B while attending the Toronto International Film Festival and I can't imagine staying anyplace else. The service is superb and very friendly, the rooms are clean and delightful and the Inn is a 10-15 minute walk to downtown or a 5 minute walk to either bus or streetcar. Things to be aware of: go luggage-light because there are stairs; don't be afraid of the big dog, he is very friendly; take earplugs if you sleep lightly as the stairs and wooden floors creek. My favorite room is the Agatha Christie Room as I feel that I've stepped into one of the novels -- it is truly delightful.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

We stayed for two nights at the start of our Toronto visit (the others being at a conference hotel later in the week) and had a pleasant time. The host made us feel very welcome indeed. The decor is not for some, but for others it is a most welcome change from sterile and bland accommodation! Days could have been spent cataloging the teapots alone! Breakfast was hot and tasty and set us up for the day.

For a break with a difference, this has to be it!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Central Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

When I got to this B&B and went inside, I was shocked. Actually, I didn't even need to go inside. The doorknob on the front door didn't even work. It was just hanging in the hole. To lock the door, you have to juggle the door so the deadbolt will fit into its slot. Upon entering, you're greeted with a hallway full of crap. Some reviews found it charming. I found it scary. Right at the entrance is a side table with board games. The boxes looked like they'd been chewed bare by rats.

The room I had reserved wasn't available, even though I'd e-mailed requesting a particular room, got the confirmation for a different room, e-mailed back and received a confirmation for that room. Instead, he was going to put us in a tiny room. He did give us a better room in the end. "Better" being a relative term.

The room itself wasn't too bad compared to the rest of the house. The place was just filthy, full of things like stuffed animal heads with years of dirt and dust on them. Our room was slightly cleaner. The electrical outlets didn't have covers on them. The bathroom was clean, but the wallpaper was falling off the walls. In the morning, we woke up to our bed shaking. We never figured out why, but it didn't help our confidence in the stability of the place. It's the quintessential fire trap. Very scary.

It was supposed to have wifi, but I was never able to access it. I think they actually had it turned off most of the time. As for the location, it seemed to be in a seedy area. We walked down some side streets, and there were nice homes and we saw people who looked like they were headed towards professional jobs. On the other hand, there were plenty of homeless people and panhandler in doorways.

The host and the cook seemed like very nice people, but that can't make up for a dirty, overcrowded place with bare wires hanging on the walls. I would NOT go back, and the people we met there had the same opinions.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LB50
Grand Forks, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2010

My wife and I were truly delighted by the Victorian/Royal "theme room" motif. While on first glance it seemed a fleamarket junkie had run amok, several days' stay revealed a very deft and clever touch in the ingeniously assembled and rather authentic looking "clutter" of books, art, and assorted antiquaria/memorabilia. Adding an amicably eccentric living touch to all this British charm, is the cordial host, Geoffrey, with able assistants, John and Mr. Lawrence, presiding over a solid establishment - uniquely appointed and convenient rooms with all the amenities, clean and very comfortable beds, plentiful portions of excellent food, friendly hospitality - in a veritable family setting, complete with a "Vicar" and the lovable canine, Brewster! With its storybook atmosphere (like living inside an Agatha Christie novel, with shades of Sherlock Holmes!), and centrally located in an enchantingly picturesque, historical neighbourhood, Pimblett's Guest House made this a most memorable stay, and endeared us to Toronto more than we ever thought possible!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Worthing, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2010

I'm not given to writing harsh reviews on Trip Advisor, but this place is so bad I'm willing to make an exception! The only thing I can say in its favour is that Geoffrey Pimblett is a likeable English eccentric. Whilst he may like to compare himself to Basil Fawlty there is actually no similarity. Pimblett's B&B is dark, dingy and a bit shabby, and located in a slighly run down neighbourhood. The "retro" wallpaper appears to be original and was peeling off in places.

Of the rooms we saw, four shared one bathroom and the one with a private bathroom was pricey. The electrics in the private bathroom left something to be desired: there was no circuit breaker on the sockets, a random cable hung down next to the exterior door and half the lightbulbs were missing.

There were no tea & coffee making facilities in our room (or perhaps they were very well hidden under the clutter) and we were told to steal glasses from the kitchen if we needed them.

Breakfast was an experience: It is available between 9 and 11am but everything is cooked well before that (I suspect the bacon had been there for days!). Some of the items on my plate were overcooked and piping hot, whilst others were stone cold - the cold pancake that was burnt on one side was a particular delicacy! One of the "selling points" of Pimbletts was that you get to choose your own teapot - I wasn't offered that option.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple