“Best Ethiopian food I've had!! ”

pero restaurant and lounge
Ranked #487 of 9,121 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: USD 12 - USD 23
Cuisines: African
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: West End
Cross street: Bloor and Chritie
Description: Pero Restaurant is as rich and diverse as Eastern African culture. The spectrum Pero Restaurant cuisine can be said to lie between two dietary extremes: vegetarianism and carnivorism. The essence of good Eastern African cooking revolves around the appropriate use of aromatic spices. The skill lies in subtle blending of a variety of spices to enhance, rather than overwhelm the basic flavour of a particular dish. Pero food relies on the spices in which it is cooked, just as Japanese Sushi relies on the freshness of the meat, and Chinese food relies on the various sauces to impart the right flavour and taste. It is interesting to see an Eastern African chef at work with a palette of spices, gratuitously sprinkling these powders in exact pinches into the dish in front of him. It is these complexities of regional food in Eastern Africa that make it such a fascinating experience.
Reviewed 16 October 2016 via mobile

Love the African beer as well! Food was awrsome! Platters and thr veg rolls were great and so was the service. Loved that it was veg friendly too.

Reviewed 16 September 2016

In terms of food I love exotic experiences. Pero's restaurant is one of my best culinary experiences in the last few years! We were invited to the restaurant by my Eritrean friend and it was an excellent choice. I enjoined tasting the original injera and all the exotic dishes made of split peas. The coffee drinking experience is one of a kind! The Eritrean coffee was infused with ginger and roasted in house almost in front of you. The smell of coffee wafted through the whole restaurant and was fantastic!
Drinking coffee with friends in Eritrea is a ritual, an integral part of life. It is also considered a mark of friendship or respect. In Pero's restaurant the ceremony is almost obligatory. I'd love to be back one day..

1  Thank les_marq
Reviewed 13 September 2016

I was looking for something different so I thought since the previous reviews were excellent, I'd try it. Well.............The décor was nice. The servers and cook were very nice. They seemed very anxious to please which was nice but the food was just mediocre. Not bad. Not great. Portion size was just so so. Tons of Ethiopian bread made from Teff flour. (like buckwheat). Like crepes. Flavorless and soft. If there was more sauce with the dishes, maybe the crepe-like bread would have worked but it didn't. I had fish goolash and my husband and a beef dish. (I think. I may be wrong) Anyway, nice presentation but in general, I was disappointed.

Reviewed 17 August 2016 via mobile

Hi Mr. Pero,
You actually nailed it with your restaurant. Your charm made it a special evening for us. The Okra was fantastic and the wine, an African one absolutely wonderful.
We discussed your menu and I would love to come back and eat all the changes you are about to make in the menu. Highly recommended!

1  Thank Elena L
Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

Great friendly service. Very interesting favors. Tried the combo platter just to get my bearings and was not disappointed. Worth a try.