“Great expectations dashed”

Edward Hotel North York
Ranked #113 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 17 September 2017

I booked the Edward using Hotwire (so I didnt get to pick the hotel). When I arrived, I found that Hotwire had broken my stay into 2 reservations. The clerk wasnt able to combine them for some reason and required me to come back the next day to check out then check in again (very annoying and inconvienent).

The room is properly appointed but the beds are ancient (from the days when it was the Days Inn). 2 box springs and a very thin mattress with no pillowtop. So uncomfortable.

The next morning, I get 3 knocks at the door telling me that checkout is noon (I had to explain the story to all of them). The a call on the room phone from the front desk asking me the same thing. I just wanted to sleep in!!!

I came back that night and parking in the wheelchair spots (my mother is disabled) and I am approached by a security woman saying that they are shooting a movie the next morning and that I have to park at the back of the lot. I'm not sure how disabled spots can be closed off to paying guests just because the hotel is trying to make some money renting out its parking lot.

I stayed on the 10th floor, and the nearest working ice machine is 3 stories down. Things are broken all over the hotel, with gum and burn marks in carpets on every floor.

A very disappointing stay, and I wont be returning (despite the fact that the hotel will say they would welcome me back for another try below)

Room Tip: If you don't want flood lights shining into your room at night, ask for a room on the highway si...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 27 September 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience and concerns with us. We strive to provide outstanding service and hospitality to every guest, yet it seems we fell short this time. I am sorry to hear that a program mistake in a reservation has troubled your stay. We will get in touch with technical specialist and Hotwire and make sure that the issue is fixed. We also apologize for the incident on the parking lot, and hope that in future we will be able to provide you with a much better experience.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

I spend at least 10 days each month living in hotel rooms and I have to say this was one of the worst. The customer rep at the front desk sent me to two ice machines on two different floors and neither worked. I found the rooms unkempt the hallways dirty...there were used kleenex in the hallway and spit...yes, SPIT in the elevator...and when I woke the next morning BOTH things were still there. The machines for water and soft drinks were empty and my husband uses a CPAP machine so I had to travel to a store to get clean water. When I complained one of the women at the front desk laughed at me. ALL ROUND ONE OF THE WORST EXPERIENCES EVER. Also very noisy. I would NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN.
OH! And the air conditioner broke during the night. And it was HOT!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 20 September 2017

Dear Sharron,

Thank you for choosing our hotel as well as for sharing your concerns with us. We are sorry to hear that your stay was disappointing. The cleanliness of our property is one of our top priorities and we have already discussed your concerns with the housekeeping department. We usually refile our wending machines on the weekly basis, and most probably there was a delivery delay during your stay. We apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for helping us to get better by learning our mistakes.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

Edward Village Hotel in North York, Ontario is located right off the 401/404 highway. There are many stores, restaurants, markets, and even a shopping mall within a few minutes drive from the hotel. Upon arriving at the hotel you will notice that the lobby is nice enough with a lot of accent neon lights. We were assigned a room on the 8th floor. The room is on the small side with a small bathroom and no microwave or refrigerator in the room. When we tried to turn on the tv to our surprise it did not work. The room was also very dark even though there are 4 lamps in the room. I also went down to check out the guest laundry in the basement. You guessed it, the washing machine was out of order. There it stood in the middle of the room, unplugged and half full with black water. The bathroom overall had low water pressure. The shower was barely a sprinkle and the toilet took about 20-30 seconds to flush and you were lucky if it was even a complete flush. Sometimes multiple flushes were needed just to flush liquid waste. As others have already noted, the front of the hotel has multiple lights shining onto the front of the hotel. Luckily they do have blackout curtains that block out the bright as daylight spotlights. What a way to start a vacation.

On the plus side, the desk is 2 tables next to each other which make it one long, flat table that extends more than half of the wall. Plenty of room for the tv and all the bags filled with our miscellaneous snacks. Also the bathroom is very bright. It seems to be recently remodeled as the shower wall tiles seem new as well as all the faucets and fixtures. There was no mold and also no soap tray in the shower. The Front Desk and Housekeeping staff was also very nice. The breakfast buffet was ok with the usual selection of scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, oatmeal, bagels, toast, cereal, juice, and coffee.

Overall, an OK hotel to stay for only one night but if you are staying for multiple days I would stay at a better hotel for the same price or less.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank edges35
Management response:Responded 20 September 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the detailed review, I believe it will help us to improve. Please accept our apologies for not meeting your expectations. We try our best to provide our guests with exceptional service, and sorry to hear that technical issues stopped us from doing so. We have already fixed the problem with the washing machine, and we are working on the rest. We would like the opportunity to serve you better in the future and hope you will consider a return visit.

Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

This hotel was the worst hotel that I've ever stayed at. It was very dirty, dusty, and dingy. The room was outdated. Wifi did not work. I booked this place because of the great price on Expedia and it was also advertised as a 4 star hotel. Honestly, it should be considered a 1 star. Maybe 2 stars at best. Definitely no where near a 4 star. They advertised new management at the time of my stay so not sure if things have changed. But this was terrible for a vacation where you want to relax and be comfortable in your room.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 6 September 2017

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing out hotel and for taking the time to give your feedback. It is extremely valuable to us, as we strive to improve with each and every stay. The cleanness of rooms and comfort of our guests is our Top priority, and I am sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectations. I also apologies for Wi-Fi problems. Your concerns have been shared with our housekeeping director as well as with our technical specialist, and we will be reviewing this to make sure we are able to deliver a great experience to each and every guest.

Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

The cheapest dirty hotel
The room is very dark full of dust spider webs not enough light
Everything was unplugged tv lamp
The coffee maker was discusting didn't feel like to make coffee in it No water to drink .the fun noise was so loud cracks on the wall and roof swimming pool was so dirty nobody could swim don't waste your money book somewhere else better stay.

Stayed: August 2017
00gc, General Manager at Edward Hotel North York, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2017

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your concerns. We strive to provide outstanding service and hospitality to every guest, yet it seems we fell short this time. Please accept our apologies for letting you down. We would like the opportunity to serve you better in the future and hope you will consider a return visit.