Alexandra Hotel
USD 376*
USD 363*
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewskensington markettoronto western hospitalminute walkdouble bed and one single bedbudget optioncn towerroom was cleanfriendly receptionjays gamestreet carspublic transitair conditioninghotel is locatedamazing locationfree internetconvenient locationkitchenette
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I was in this hotel in the 3rd week of September. I had no other choice as two large conferences were taking place in Toronto and there was a severe shortage of rooms. My very first experience was bad. I entered the hotel to check in around noon (check-in time - 2 PM), the clerk informed that the room was not ready. This was quite acceptable as I had arrived earlier than the check in time. But the way he put this was far from acceptable. His voice and the way of saying this had an air of nonchalance and rudeness. The rooms was good, neat and clean except that there is one window AC running which make a lot of noise. I also had the experience that someone else had earlier (they had given their feedback in one of their reviews) - On two occassions I could spot spiders in my room. I know from the earlier reviews that the hotel guys will not take any action, so I kept quiet.The kitchnette is very good though. The elevator was very old and was a bit scary travelling in it. There was no valet laundry service and there was supposed to be a coin-operated laundry but that was always locked. Again the manner in which the front office responded when I asked about this was very harsh. The ultimate experience came when I checked out. There is a lady in the front office and whenever I asked something from her, the response was always very curt and rude. After checking out of the hotel, I was waiting from my taxi to go to the airport (taxi arranged by the hotel only). It was raining outside. There were two chairs in the front office and when I asked the lady if I could wait there, she bluntly refused and asked to either wait outside (in the rain) or stand in the hall-way ( Nobody in the hotel knew where that hallway was). Since it was raining outside I was standing near the elevator for more than half an hour cursing my self to agreeing to stay in this hotel and being meeted by this unruly treatment. Fortunately there was a manager who came out and when I explained the situation to him, he apologized and offered me a chair to sit till my taxi arrived. Never in my life I would compromise and stay in a small hotel if other bigger hotels are not available for any reason. I had my worst experience of my life in this hotel

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Joe_at_Grange, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2011

Thanks for taking the time to review the Alexandra Hotel.

It's true the Alexandra Hotel does not offer valet laundry service. We aim to be affordable and convenient and simply don't offer luxury services like valet parking or valet laundry services. We gave you a key to the laundry room when you checked in, but we should have given you specific instructions on how to open the door and operate the washer and dryer, and I apologize for this oversight. As for the elevator, I'm sorry it frightened you but let me assure you that it is well-maintained and inspected regularly by professional technicians.

Though we work very hard to keep the hotel clean, and I appreciate that you complimented the quality of the rooms, the occasional insect can find its way into the building - especially during the warmer months. Don't hesitate to call the desk staff of any hotel you stay at if you have a concern. Not every review you read online is accurate and hotels prefer dealing with any complaints before the guest checks out.

We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and I have brought your concerns to the attention of management and front desk staff. You were treated poorly by some of our staff and we sincerely apologize. We are constantly aiming to improve our level of service and your comments will help us to better deal with similar complaints in the future.

Reviewed 7 September 2011

Nice, friendly and comfortable.

Located near the China town - about 30 min by walk from city center and Railway station.
A lot of places to eat in the neighborhood.

The room was not very big but with the kitchen and bathroom.
Laundry on the floor.
Very friendly and helpful staff.

Enjoyed the stay. Can recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Alexander_StPete
Joe_at_Grange, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2011

We appreciate your recommendation! There are many fine restaurants within walking distance, and our staff is always willing to help people find their way around the city. Glad you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed 2 September 2011

Do not be put off by the exterior of this hotel - it is better inside. Not in anyway luxurious but clean & tidy. Our room was quiet spacious, the bathroom was clean & the staff friendly - cant really ask for more for the price.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Blondethoughts

Thanks blondethoughts! We try to focus on the basics here - cleanliness, comfort and affordability. Hope you stay again next time you come to Toronto.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

I arrived here after leaving my previous accommodation in disgust. The Alexandra made my feel much better about my stay in Toronto. Location was acceptable (I like to walk) but transport was nearby.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Tony U
Joe_at_Grange, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2011

Thank you for the positive review. We hope you stay again next time you are in town!

Reviewed 16 August 2011

My boyfriend and I originally booked the Grange hotel, but upon arriving we were told that the parking lot was full and that we would have to stay at the Alexandra, about a block and a half away. This seemed fine, as the Grange was across the street from a kind of sketchy area, and the Alexandra is up the street from a theatre and right next to a park. The person in the Lobby was very friendly and we recieved the keys to our room right away. Upon getting to our room - it was pretty standard. There were 2 beds a small kitchenette and a bathroom - very no frills but it suited our needs. The only complaint I would have is that the next morning, my boyfriend found a bug in the bed, that looked like a small beetle. He put it in a cup and went to speak to the manager. Instead he was told to come back at check out and that a manager would deal with it then. When we were checking out my boyfriend spoke to the manager, who told him that the bug was a spider (which is was clearly not) and that that was that. Otherwise the hotel was fine, but because of this experience, I probably wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ScoobCW
Joe_at_Grange, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2011

We do appreciate it when our guests bring up any concerns they have during their stay, and unfortunately during the summer the occasional bug (beetle or spider) does sneak in. We do our best to keep our rooms clean and comfortable and our guests happy, and I'm sorry if we were less than satisfactory in that regard during your stay here.