“Good value for an expensive city”
Review of Alexandra Hotel

Alexandra Hotel
Ranked #99 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
Quesnel, Canada
“Good value for an expensive city”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Well priced for the city (under $100 a night). Was not fancy at, all but had good basic ammenities (kitchen, wifi) and seemed reasaonably clean. The area seemed a little scuzzy (homeless people in neighbouring park, etc), but I didn't feel afraid walking through it as a single women. My car and canoe were untouched in the parking lot for three days.
It took my about a half hour or so to walk to the CN tower from here so I would consider it fairly close to everything. The neighbourhood seems to get better as well after a few minutes of walking.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Kootenay23
Joe M, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Good review! We don't try to be fancy, we prefer to keep our prices as low as possible. I'm glad you didn't find the neighborhood intimidating - it's an older neighborhood but most of the residents are quite friendly, and there are many restaurants and attractions within walking distance. I hope you stay with us again next time you're in town!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I was in this hotel in the 3rd week of September. I had no other choice as two large conferences were taking place in Toronto and there was a severe shortage of rooms. My very first experience was bad. I entered the hotel to check in around noon (check-in time - 2 PM), the clerk informed that the room was not ready. This was quite acceptable as I had arrived earlier than the check in time. But the way he put this was far from acceptable. His voice and the way of saying this had an air of nonchalance and rudeness. The rooms was good, neat and clean except that there is one window AC running which make a lot of noise. I also had the experience that someone else had earlier (they had given their feedback in one of their reviews) - On two occassions I could spot spiders in my room. I know from the earlier reviews that the hotel guys will not take any action, so I kept quiet.The kitchnette is very good though. The elevator was very old and was a bit scary travelling in it. There was no valet laundry service and there was supposed to be a coin-operated laundry but that was always locked. Again the manner in which the front office responded when I asked about this was very harsh. The ultimate experience came when I checked out. There is a lady in the front office and whenever I asked something from her, the response was always very curt and rude. After checking out of the hotel, I was waiting from my taxi to go to the airport (taxi arranged by the hotel only). It was raining outside. There were two chairs in the front office and when I asked the lady if I could wait there, she bluntly refused and asked to either wait outside (in the rain) or stand in the hall-way ( Nobody in the hotel knew where that hallway was). Since it was raining outside I was standing near the elevator for more than half an hour cursing my self to agreeing to stay in this hotel and being meeted by this unruly treatment. Fortunately there was a manager who came out and when I explained the situation to him, he apologized and offered me a chair to sit till my taxi arrived. Never in my life I would compromise and stay in a small hotel if other bigger hotels are not available for any reason. I had my worst experience of my life in this hotel

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Joe_at_Grange, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this review, 20 October 2011
Thanks for taking the time to review the Alexandra Hotel.

It's true the Alexandra Hotel does not offer valet laundry service. We aim to be affordable and convenient and simply don't offer luxury services like valet parking or valet laundry services. We gave you a key to the laundry room when you checked in, but we should have given you specific instructions on how to open the door and operate the washer and dryer, and I apologize for this oversight. As for the elevator, I'm sorry it frightened you but let me assure you that it is well-maintained and inspected regularly by professional technicians.

Though we work very hard to keep the hotel clean, and I appreciate that you complimented the quality of the rooms, the occasional insect can find its way into the building - especially during the warmer months. Don't hesitate to call the desk staff of any hotel you stay at if you have a concern. Not every review you read online is accurate and hotels prefer dealing with any complaints before the guest checks out.

We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and I have brought your concerns to the attention of management and front desk staff. You were treated poorly by some of our staff and we sincerely apologize. We are constantly aiming to improve our level of service and your comments will help us to better deal with similar complaints in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Nice, friendly and comfortable.

Located near the China town - about 30 min by walk from city center and Railway station.
A lot of places to eat in the neighborhood.

The room was not very big but with the kitchen and bathroom.
Laundry on the floor.
Very friendly and helpful staff.

Enjoyed the stay. Can recommend to everyone.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Alexander_StPete
Joe_at_Grange, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this review, 29 September 2011
We appreciate your recommendation! There are many fine restaurants within walking distance, and our staff is always willing to help people find their way around the city. Glad you enjoyed your stay!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Do not be put off by the exterior of this hotel - it is better inside. Not in anyway luxurious but clean & tidy. Our room was quiet spacious, the bathroom was clean & the staff friendly - cant really ask for more for the price.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Blondethoughts
Thanks blondethoughts! We try to focus on the basics here - cleanliness, comfort and affordability. Hope you stay again next time you come to Toronto.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I arrived here after leaving my previous accommodation in disgust. The Alexandra made my feel much better about my stay in Toronto. Location was acceptable (I like to walk) but transport was nearby.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Tony U
Joe_at_Grange, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2011
Thank you for the positive review. We hope you stay again next time you are in town!