“Great Choice - no worries”

Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown
Ranked #72 of 133 Hotels in Toronto
Ottawa Ontario
“Great Choice - no worries”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Clean, great breakfast, downtown location and helpful staff. Recently had a family member go into St. Micheals Hospital. This hotel was very close and a reasonable rate for downtown Toronto. I left my car in Ottawa and took the train for the first time in years so I wanted a hotel close to everything. This choice turned out to be perfect, walkable from Union Train Station, close to St. Mike's and lots of choices for dining out.

Staff were very helpful, stored my luggae in a secure area after check out, unitil my train departed later that evening.

Highly recommended for anyone coming into Toronto and don't want to spent a fortune.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
TARIQ A, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the great review of the Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, that our location was well suited to your needs and that you were able to enjoy our complimentary hot & cold breakfast buffet. Our complimentary breakfast buffet is a nice bonus and constantly evolving to better appease our guests’ breakfast request, with new items being added from time to time.
Once again thank you for taking the time to write and tell us about your stay with us and we look forward to seeing again when you get the chance to visit our fair city.
Tariq Azad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Korean first
Cincinnati
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My family stayed here 3/26-27 when visiting Toronto. The hotel is well-located for sightseeing and for walking to restaurants (we chose Mill Street Brewery and Les Trois Brasseurs). My children (13, 11 and 9) ate heartily at breakfast. We had a high room, overlooking a park.
The staff were very friendly throughout our short stay. When we were leaving, I realized that an internal light had been left on in our vehicle for 2 days. The battery was completely flat. The Hotel Manager provided jumper cables, and used his own car to help me start mine. He then refused any payment, telling me "It is just part of our service, sir". Nice people, and a credit to the city of Toronto.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the great review of the Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown and the amazing things that you have said about our staff members. It always a thrill to hear that our staff have gone above and beyond to ensure that you, are guests, are treated right. Rest assured that I have passed along your comments to the staff you have mentioned.

Amazing customer service is what all of our staff strive to give to each and everyone of our guests and we hear so many great comments about the things that they have done, but we never get tired of hearing more.

Michigan
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This hotel was exactly what we needed for a one night stay near the Hockey Hall of Fame. Price was reasonable, parking was attached - $20 extra which we thought was reasonable as well. Room was clean. Breakfast was plentiful. Staff was helpful and nice. We were happy with our stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SydneyMeg
TARIQ A, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write and tells us about your stay. I am pleased that you and your guests enjoyed your time in Toronto and that our staffs were able to accommodate your needs. The complimentary breakfast buffet is truly a great added bonus and with the many choices is continuously changing to provide more selections to meet the needs of all of our guests.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to write about us and I would like to personally welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown for any of your future visits to our fair city.
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2012

A great location -- lots of shopping to be done at the huge Loblaw's next door at the historical Maple Leaf Gardens. The hotel is very clean, yet the rooms are small, but there is a little fridge. All day Dim Sum place across the street. I liked it for the price. Very affordable and there is a pool.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Canadianelle
holidayinnbloor, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
Thank you for posting on Tripadvisor, and leaving such great comments about the Holiday Inn. Unfortunately this is the page for Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville, the hotel being referred to in this post is for the Holiday Inn Downtown. Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience.
Fukuoka, Japan
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I stayed here for a conference that was being held at a nearby hotel, which was more expensive and lacked free internet/breakfast. I chose HI Express for miles, location, and price.

From the hotel, you cannot take a standard shuttle fair not he Toronto Express shuttle. This is a little annoying because they charge extra for a "connector" service. On the return, I just walked to Sheraton Center and took the shuttle from there for a little discount. Probably not a good option with a lot of luggage, though.

The service of the hotel was quite good. I had a good check-in experience and they actually called a few minutes after I arrived in my room to make sure there were no problems.
They put me on the top floor and although the window is small, there is actually a decent view of some of the city skyline.
Breakfast was fine as for a business style hotel. They have a pancake machine, which is interesting. I did not try it, but it looked like fun. Standard yogurt, bread, mass produced eggs, and bacon/sausage available.
My sleep was fine. I did not notice any noise problems and the bed was comfortable. There is a nice desk and couch as well for working from the room if necessary.
The free internet works fine.
I had a problem with the bath stopper, which didn't work when I had some back pain. I called down and they tried to fix it, but couldn't so they gave me a new room. They were very good about fixing the problem by providing a different room. After changing rooms, I fixed two other problems. My TV was also messed up (not providing good quality or all the stations), and the fan was making too much noise.

My advice - if you have a problem with the room, be sure to tell them and get a new room.

In general, the hotel could use with an update to the TV and some minor repairs in the rooms and other areas. Even the elevator buttons were falling off.

Problems:
- The location is not the best. I was actually surprised because I thought it was a good spot, but it seems a few blocks away from major shopping/dining areas. I actually felt a little uncomfortable at night because there were not a lot of people around and most of the neighborhood looked closed. A few places were open for eating, but it seemed a bit limited. For those new to Toronto, it might be good to walk around in the daylight to get your bearings before venturing out for a place to eat at night. This may be due to my own bias, coming from Japan, where I never feel uncomfortable and there are people everywhere in the cities. It could be perfectly safe, and my cultural bias makes it more uncomfortable for me.
- No refrigerator in the room. This is something I dislike.
- No safe in the room. I have seen how cleaning staff leave all the rooms wide open during their cleaning schedules in most hotels. I do not trust that someone can just walk in and take stuff. I like to have a safe in the room. I used the safe in the lobby, but they required a $50 deposit in case of a lost key ($100 lost key charge). It is also a small safe box, so you cannot store larger items like computer products.

Overall, the hotel experience was adequate, but nothing I would get excited about for future visits. I would probably try to find someplace else to stay for a similar price if it were possible. Unfortunately, I am not sure that it is possible. So, for this price, maybe this is the best you can get.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Steven R
TARIQ A, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
The management of the Holiday Inn Express Toronto downtown hotel would like to thank you for your review of our property. . I am glad that you enjoyed our breakfast selection and that it was a great overall stay for you.
Our neighbourhood is very safe and our location is great and close to much of what Toronto has to offer and close enough to the transit system to be able to get you anywhere without the stress of city driving. The Eaton Centre, being only 5 minutes away, is a great benefit and I hope that you had a chance to visit the “Path” and Toronto’s underground shopping area.
Again, thank you for your valuable feedback which can only serve to make us better.