All reviews pub next door no elevator adjacent pub university area victorian charm private entrance pack earplugs basic continental breakfast subway station two twin beds an older building breakfast is served the royal ontario museum green p casa loma nice place to stay counter space
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Nice place to stay. This is an excellent option if you are trying to find something cheap and comfortable. The workers were all friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and it includes all the facilities that you might need. Is not that far from the aquarium and the cn tower so you can walk for like 30 minutes to go there. The breakfast was included.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Manuel723
madmanor, Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2017

Dear Guests:

Thank you, glad you found the Madison Manor a nice place to stay and excellent
option that is comfortable, liked our reasonable rates and the room was very
clean.

We greatly care about welcoming our guests and delighted to learn that you found our
staff to be friendly and helpful.

We offer a continental breakfast with room the room rates and we are close
to all of the major downtown attractions, Universities and Hospitals.

The Madison Manor is a 23 Bedroom Guest House and a great choice for
guests who like a more casual ambience.

Thank you for choosing the Madison Manor for your stay while in
Toronto, we look forward to welcoming you again.

Sincerely, Kelly Kane - Hotel Manager

Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

This hotel was just adequate, although the staff, specifically Connie, was exceptional. We mistakenly arrived a day early and she went out of her way to make sure we had a room.

The hotel itself is and old home in the university area with a large and very loud tavern next to it.
It was difficult to sleep even on the weekday as it got pretty loud.

In addition the way the hotel is set up is confusing. You have to check in 2 buildings down. The hotel is a warren of hallways that go up and down randomly, making it difficult to get to your room.

For example our room was on the 4th floor with no elevator (!) and to get there we had to go up not only several flights of stairs but then go down another flight to a hallway that led nowhere to get to our room.

The complementary breakfast consisted of call pastries and average coffee. After one day, we did not return to have breakfast there. Additionally the floors and tabletops where it was served more sticky and feel dirty and extremely dark. I tried to go to the bathroom but there was no light fixture that could be found so I had to make my way through a very dark area and get to the bathroom in the dark.

Overall I would most definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
madmanor, Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

Dear Guests:

Thank you for commenting that you found our staff to be exceptional.
The Madison Manor is a former century Victorian Mansion that has been renovated into a 23 Bedroom Guest House. Our Complex consists of 4 of the Century buildings on the street. 3 of the Buildings are the Madison Avenue Pub and the 4th is the Guest House.
Our addition on all floors at the end of the hall on each of the floors as 3 steps to
go down due to the lower level in the back of the building.

We do not have an elevator in the Madison Manor, but we are always pleased
to assist with luggage upon request. There is detailed signage inside the Guest House
on all floors indicating where rooms are located.

We promise a complimentary continental breakfast with your stay. A continental
breakfast is just a coffee and pastry. We also provide a complimentary restaurant
voucher and this can be used for guests wishing to have a hot breakfast when the
restaurant opens at 11:00 am each morning. Our continental breakfast is served
in one of our main floor pubs starting at 7:30 am weekdays and 8:30 am on weekends.

I apologize that the light was not on in the area that led to the public bathroom area.

Thank you for your comments, we will review to improve our service.

Reviewed 28 June 2017

This hotel definitely needs a refresh. The furniture and décor is old but over all it was clean. The beds were not the most comfortable and the room was a bit hot but it suited my needs for the night. A simple breakfast was offered next door - store bought danishes, fruit, coffee, etc. If you intend to stay a long time in your hotel room and want plush comfort, this may not be the place for you. But if you just need a place to lay your head at a reasonable price it is okay.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
madmanor, Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2017

Dear Guest:

Thank you we take your comments seriously. We are working on many capital improvements. We have just replaced the roof on the 4 story building, painted it
and re-did the stairs to the Madison Manor. We have upgraded our WIFI System
and cable system. Added new lamps and coffee tables to 7 rooms. We are
working on more improvements and upgrades to all of our 23 bedrooms.

We have several guests who staying with us at this time in a long-term
stay and they are repeat guests that stay with us for 2 weeks or more on an
annual basis. I am sorry you did not find your bed comfortable.

We offer a cold continental breakfast, which includes many items. Our Danishes
are backed in house daily.

Thank you for letting us know that you found the room clean. Again we take
your comments seriously to improve our service.

Thank you for choosing the Madison Manor.

Reviewed 25 June 2017

I travel a lot. When I say a lot, I mean 2-3 weeks out of the month, so I see may more than fair shake of hotels and inns. Rarely do I give reviews - even bad ones as I realize things happen. But this is absurd. _ read & if you don't believe me then look at the pictures.

This is not a "boutique hotel". This is plain and simple a B&B albeit with 20+ rooms and in very dire need of an overhaul. It is run down it looks like it and smells like it. SEE PICTURES. The rooms have a musty smell, the carpet looks like its been there since 90s, the furniture is literally falling apart, I did not even have a holder in the bathroom for my toilet paper. I have stayed in B&B before as old as 1731 that were in far better shape than this 'manor'. So the age isn't the issue, its the lack of maintenance and upkeep of the inn, furniture and rooms. Its sad since the build structure could be gorgeous if restored to its Victorian glory.

It is close to at least 3 - 4 frat/sorority house and next to a huge PUB which is owned by the same owner. So, put 2 and 2 together - college crowd + Pub does NOT equal and enjoyable stay for most travelers especially one on business. the noise on Thursday night went one to well past 1am

First of all the "lobby" isn't a lobby at all but an office in the lower floor of the PUB.
Upon check in, i was given room 104. I was told that I had to gain entrance to the room via an alley between the PUB and the proper Manor building. And that due to the PUB's crowd on Thursday and Friday's nights the alley was shut with a gate after 9pm and I would have to go thru the manor out the side door, into the alley to get to my room. OK, then. Not a good start. I get to the room and it was a tiny room with TWIN beds. What adult still sleeps in twin beds nowadays anyways? The smallest beds in most hotels and even B&B are doubles and even queens. I could have overlooked this had it not been 80+ degrees F in the room since the A/C unit was not working. (Same room another review wrote about a few months ago -makes you wonder if they really did fix the unit, huh?)

I went to the office in the lower part of the pub and made them aware of the issue. It was approx 6:30pm. The lady at the desk was very nice and apologetic and told me she come get me once she assessed the issue. So I went upstairs to the Pub to grab a bite. At about 7:30 she came to get me with another room key and advised that they could not get it to reset the first time, but that they tired again and for me to have a look after I was done eating. The other room key was in case the AC was not working so that I could pack up and move there. She advised that after 8pm there would not be anyone at the front desk until the next day at 7:30. She advised for me to inform the front desk in the am if i had indeed moved. Which I did as the AC was not working.

Let me repeat this in case you missed it- there is no one at the 'frontdesk' after 8:30pm. Oh yes, there is the Manager on duty of the PUB. Good luck with that.

So I pack all my stuff again and moved to room 301. Up a few flight of starits (Oh and there are stairs everywhere and no elevators- not sure how a disabled person would even stay here). 310 was a larger room with a king bed (really 2 twins that were strapped together). and YAY - the AC was working. Much better albeit the room was musty smelling (the entire place - even the pub smells like that) but with the AC and fan on it was not too bad and I went sleep. The next morning I looked around in the daylight and honestly; I cringed. The 2 arm chairs in the room looked disgusting, the fabric was worn so thing the threads were coming off and the fabric ripped. It looked like something that should have been put out to the corner for trash pickup. No joke - look at the pictures.

I go to the toilet and there is no toilet paper holder, so I had to put the toilet paper on the bathroom sink. Nice touch. The dresser looked like it was about to topple over. See picture. The closet was just a cubby hole in the wall with a bar across it. The TV was perhaps something left over the 80s, you know small screen (perhaps maybe 20-24inches) huge back. Did not even bother to turn it on.

Alrighty then. So I went out to work, passed by the desk at the pub where I informed the person working there that morning that I was now in room 301. (as instructed) Then she tells me that they replaced the unit in the alley room (104) and for me to repack once I returned from work and move back to 104. Are you kidding me? i had had it. I called my corp office to have them book me elsewhere but due to us having prepaid the Room and Taxes they told us we had to cancel within7 days. My director of operations was able to get them to 'graciously' allow me to stay in the upgrade room. Oh joy.

Listen - long story short - this place sucks. Its is a rip off. Full stop. If you are an experienced traveler - go elsewhere. you will regret it. If you want to stay in a place that smells dingy and musty has boisterous college crowds and an old run down dump - then welcome home.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank Maria Cristina C
madmanor, Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2017

Dear Guest:

We sincerely apologize that the AC was not working in your room.
Rooms 104 and 301 are some of the largest rooms we have in our guest house.

Our Madison Manor is a converted Victorian Mansion with 23 bedrooms similar in
size to a residential home. Our rooms are not the size of regular hotel rooms
and our standard rooms are very small. Because our rooms are small, we offer twin beds in our rooms for double accommodation for guests who wish separate beds, 2 double beds would not be possible. Our King beds are what is called French kings and they have professional bed-strapping and special mattress foam centre.

We have done major capital improvements to the Madison Manor, they include a new roof, re-done entrance stairs, painting of the entire building, new WIFI, new furniture in some of the rooms. We are continuing on our capital improvements, we would like
to do this all at once but with a small place this is not possible. So many of the
features in the rooms are retro, like the Televisions, which we recently installed
a new cable system for. We will be updating the televisions in the near future.

The rooms are cleaned everyday and the carpets in the hotel are steam cleaned on a regular basis

The Madison Manor is part of our complex that includes the Madison Avenue Pub, which is one of the largest pubs in Canada. We are located in the Annex in the heart of the University Community. Our complex has when University House beside us.
There a few University Homes in the area, but a few blocks away. We do our utmost to let our guests know about the details of our Guest House and Pub our Madison Avenue Complex.

Our owner is originally from England and the style of the rooms are similar to what you would find in a residential home. Our owner wanted her guests to feel like they are staying in her home. The toilet paper is wrapped and in a basket.

We do have limited front desk hours and this is confirmed in all confirmations
in advance of a guest stay, we do not have 24 hour reception. There is no elevator in the Guest House, but, we are always happy to assist with luggage upon request.

We upgraded your room, I am sorry you were not happy. We did try to assist with arrangements for you to move to another hotel and we would waive the penalty.
The upgrade was at no additional charge and the entire city was booked so options were very limited but possible to have you change hotels. I am so sincerely sorry
that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

We take your comments seriously, we will review to improve our service.

Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the Madison 6 years ago and found it satisfactory for our needs. The location is fantastic, in a leafy neighbourhood a half block from the subway station, and close to many good restaurants, stores and such. This time, we had room 104 with its own entrance off the alley between the hotel and the pub. Although small, the room was nicely furnished and comfortable, equipped with a fridge and coffee making facilities. The air conditioning wasn't working very well so the ceiling fan was appreciated. When we first realized that we were so close to the pub we were apprehensive about the noise factor mentioned by some reviewers, but were pleasantly surprised to find that it didn't bother us at all. On weekend nights, standing outside the room, it sounded like a jumbo jet getting ready for takeoff! However, once inside, and with the ceiling fan running, it was fine. We are night owls, so if you like to tuck in early this might not be the room for you. What did give us serious concern was security. While we were present, an intruder was able to access our room, apparently using a keycard. The first time this happened, the manager was extremely apologetic. After investigating she determined that it must have been one of the workmen who were doing some repairs in the hotel and needed access to the rooms. She knocked a night off our bill and we were satisfied. Unfortunately, on our last day there, it happened again. This time we were able to confront the intruder who claimed he was a fellow guest trying to get into the hotel and that his keycard opened our door. We reported again to the front desk staff but they didn't seem to know what to do. It was the weekend so the regular manager wasn't on duty. I asked if there were security cameras in the alley, thinking that the footage would reveal what had happened. We eventually spoke to the pub manager but she didn't know. While everyone acknowledged that this should NEVER occur, in the end they gave us free late checkout and left it at that. So, while I would like to stay at the Madison again because of the location and value, I probably won't.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fay H
madmanor, Special Events and Hotel Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2017

Dear Guests:

Thank you for your important comments. Again we apologize for
the issues regarding your room. As mentioned we were doing some repairs
in your room while you would be out for the day. We were working to make
the AC better in your room. Our maintenance staff made an error and did
not knock before entering. This is not the proper protocol for staff at the
Madison, all staff from Housekeepers to Managers, must knock before entering
a room.

We have never had an issue with another guest being able to use their key card to
access another guest's room in the over 16 years of operation but we have reviewed
your concerns and we take it seriously. We always want to make sure that
all guests are well looked after.

Again I apologize for our staff entering the room in error.

Sincerely, Kelly Kane, Special Events and Hotel Manager