“Good but not outstanding food. Wonderful service though”

The Queen and Beaver Public House
Ranked #115 of 9,237 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: USD 9 - USD 21
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: A charming Gastropub offering scratch-made and authentic British cuisine and a curated selection of Draught Beers, Cask Ales, and Wine and Spirits in the heart of Downtown Toronto. Perfect for Lunch, Brunch and Dinner we also offer our beautiful upstairs Den for a more relaxed and convivial setting for drinks and socializing. In the warmer months, we have two outdoor licensed seating areas included a wonderful rooftop Terrace. We hope to see you sooon!
Reviewed 6 April 2018

B and I had lunch at The Queen and Beaver Public House. We came here for their winterlicious lunch menu (yes, this is a late post). I had picked a number of contenders for our lunch but since this one was closest to her workplace and B hadn’t had British food before, this one won the lot.

I called the restaurant to make a reservation for a 1 p.m. lunch the day before. I arrived at 12:50 p.m. and the gentleman at the front warmly greeted me and led me to my table that was in the front area of the restaurant. It was a gorgeous dining room with curtains and brick-exposed walls and wooden furniture. Our table was a marble top. The entire space felt so warm and “British”. I really liked the space.

It took B a bit of time to arrive since she couldn’t find parking. While waiting, the server served me the menus and my water. She was very pleasant and warm throughout the visit. After B arrived, we were very quickly able to determine what we wanted to order from the winterlicious lunch menu.

Our appetizers arrived very quickly. We both chose the Smoked White Fish & Salmon Rillettes that came with sourdough crisps. I hadn’t had rillettes before which is kind of like a fish pâté — I’ve only had meat pâté up to this point. The smoked white fish and salmon rillettes were mashed together and looked like a dip or spread. There was a pickled onion and cucumber salad accompanying the dish too. The plate was really pretty.

I thought this appetizer was okay. I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to eat this by piling the rillettes and salad onto the sourdough crisps like a topping but I alternated how I ate it by eating it separately and together. I liked the rillettes and could taste a bit of the two fishes in it. The sourdough crisps were very, very crispy and hard.

As it happened, B and I also chose the same entrées (I liked that their Winterlicious lunch menu had a choice of four options). We chose the Steak, Ale, and Mushroom Cobbler with cheddar and herb scones. It arrived in a nice presentation. There was a grouping of steamed herbed carrots to the side which I really enjoyed. I liked how the carrots were steamed firm yet tender.

The cheddar and herb scone was actually smaller than I thought. I thought it would have covered the width of the bowl. It was so small that it sunk into the broth/gravy and looked like a biscuit instead. I was surprised that this dish wasn’t served with mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes because the generous amount of gravy in the dish would have called for something carby to eat with — at least that’s what I would have preferred since I like dense good-tasting gravy such as this one. I couldn’t really discern the ale in the dish, but the steak and mushrooms were there. At first I thought the steak bites were going to be actual steak pieces but they were more of the cheaper variety of just beef chunks. I don’t think I can call beef chunks as ‘steak’. Another reason why I would have preferred some mashed potatoes or potatoes to go with this dish because the gravy was quite salty at times. A little carbs would have masked and/or neutralized the saltiness.

I notice that they serve the Cobbler also in their Winterlicious dinner menu. For lunch, this was a good portion but if I got this portion for dinner, I’m not sure if it would have been enough — this is on the assumption that dinner portions should be larger than lunch ones.

For the dessert component, we chose the Almond Chocolate Cake and the Sticky Toffee Pudding to share.

The Sticky Toffee Pudding with vanilla ice cream looked nice with contrasting dark and light colours. The sticky toffee pudding at first bite was really sweet (probably magnified after the salty cobbler) and the vanilla ice cream was even sweeter than I almost choked on the sugar content. However, after a few bites it didn’t taste as sweet anymore. The sticky toffee pudding was okay.

The Almond Chocolate Cake with orange crème fraîche appeared like a flourless chocolate cake because of how dense the cake looked. However, this wasn’t confirmed since we neither asked the server nor did it say on the menu that it was flourless or not. The chocolate cake was dense and not too sweet (maybe because we had had the sticky toffee pudding first). There were almond flakes in the orange crème fraîche. I liked the orange crème fraîche because I could taste the tarty orange flavour. It helped to break up the sweetness from the cake.

All in all, I thought that the food at The Queen and Beaver Public House was good but not outstanding. It was better than average especially in terms of how they presented their food. I liked their plates! I also really appreciated the warm and friendly service that the staff showed towards the customers. It was definitely a bonus.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Great spot for a bite to eat and drink

Situated in the shadow of the Chelsea Hotel between Yonge St and Bay Street

Really friendly and accommodating staff

Get yourself upstairs to the pub theres an impressive array of beers, ciders and spirits to choose from

Great place to catch a Premier League game they list which ones there showing

They even put the Super League on for us !

Ps try the pork scratchings there the db’s !

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Excellent place to meet up with coworkers, etc. The craft tonic with gin is a must. Bitter and sweet at once !

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Great casual meeting location as it is conveniently located in downtown Toronto so easily accessible by TTC. Service was fabulous and well versed in the daily offerings. We all had different options: fish and bacon pie, rabbit curry, bangers and mash and a chicken dish (can't remember the actual name). I have the fish and bacon pie. Two things were consistent between all our meals. 1. they were all tasty and well presented. 2. they were all over salted.
The atmosphere was casual. We didn't feel like we had to yell to talk, which is enjoyable and not typical of a pub.
Enjoy.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

I went to the Q & B with a friend on his recommendation.

What a lovely pub. Loved the upstairs atmosphere. Very British in pub feel.

Beer was good as was the food.

Staff were very friendly