“A "sympa" spot”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: North End
Reviewed 12 October 2014

We had a great meal at Simple Bistro, meeting some friends who live in the neighborhood. It is a small restaurant and the owner was covering all the tables herself. she's a gem, offering suggestions and making everyone feel welcome while efficiently taking orders and getting the meals out.

The food was very good. I'd recommend in particular the escargots (done with mushrooms) and the scallops (perfectly carmelized on a bed of roasted red peppers).

All in all a really nice neighborhood spot, definitely worth a visit if you are in the area. And as an added bonus, they are open Mondays when a lot of other places are closed.

1  Thank CathyLen

Reviewed 11 October 2014

Like the previous reviewer, I had been to Simple Bistro before and enjoyed the imaginative menu, but I hadn't been in a while. I suggested to a friend we meet there for supper the other night and boy, was I embarrassed. My first surprise was the place looked like it hadn't had a good cleaning in quite a while. My second surprise was that they were selling a bottle of wine that retails for $10.95 at LCBO for $50. And that was their least expensive option!

The "escargot with wild mushrooms and spinach" was a sad mess of canned escargot swimming listlessly in some sort of flavourless white sauce with regular white mushrooms and a couple pieces of limp spinach served at the bottom of a large bowl. And someone forgot to wash something because I kept getting mouthfuls of grit. The Caesar salad was drowning in bottled dressing and decorated with some strips of canned anchovies and croutons. The soup was bland and watery. The pasta "special" was pretty much inedible.

We were the only customers in the place all evening and I'm not surprised. Sad, that such a good concept - "simple local ingredients...handmade traditional French cuisine" has gone so far awry. I feel like maybe they were having difficulties and have cut back on the quality of ingredients, cleaning staff and chefs and are hoping they can coast on their previous reputation and that no one notices.

I will say that the server was very pleasant, friendly and attentive and was trying really hard to keep the spirit of the place alive.

1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 10 October 2014

Continental style food, but done delicately, creatively, and with great sauces. They also use fresh and local. Portions are reasonable, and the room has enough atmosphere for most occasions.

1  Thank LLvcrbc
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We went today again for brunch, a special occasion with old friends, and were somewhat embarrassed that we'd recommended this place. There has been an obvious change in the kitchen since March - for $17 I expect extraordinary eggs benedict, which is what we had the last time. This time, the plating was worse than what my 10 year old does at home, the salad dressing was lacklustre, and the hollandaise sauce would have been better if it had come from a Knorr package. The coffee was just plain bad. It comes out in a French press, which usually bodes well, but one had no grounds in it and the other had grounds throughout the section above the press.

Sadly, I will not be returning here.

3  Thank GurgiToronto
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife came to Simple Bistro for the first time to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
We were looking for a nice, quaint place to go and found this place through on-line research.
I must say that we were not disappointed. The place was located in a quite neighborhood. The décor is very simple but elegant. The food in our opinion was very good. Good choice on the menu and the flavor was awesome. We shared the cod fritters and had the scallops and short ribs for mains. All of it was YUM!!. Its a good place to take a date that is for sure. Our server was very knowledgeable and very prompt. When I booked, I mentioned to Yasmine (I believe the owner) that it was our anniversary so they gave us a free dessert! sweet! Would definitely go back and try the duck!

1  Thank Knightrider0219