“And to think I gave it a five out of five in March this year! :(”
Review of Simple Bistro - CLOSED

Simple Bistro
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: North End
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We went today again for brunch, a special occasion with old friends, and were somewhat embarrassed that we'd recommended this place. There has been an obvious change in the kitchen since March - for $17 I expect extraordinary eggs benedict, which is what we had the last time. This time, the plating was worse than what my 10 year old does at home, the salad dressing was lacklustre, and the hollandaise sauce would have been better if it had come from a Knorr package. The coffee was just plain bad. It comes out in a French press, which usually bodes well, but one had no grounds in it and the other had grounds throughout the section above the press.

Sadly, I will not be returning here.

3  Thank GurgiToronto

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife came to Simple Bistro for the first time to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
We were looking for a nice, quaint place to go and found this place through on-line research.
I must say that we were not disappointed. The place was located in a quite neighborhood. The décor is very simple but elegant. The food in our opinion was very good. Good choice on the menu and the flavor was awesome. We shared the cod fritters and had the scallops and short ribs for mains. All of it was YUM!!. Its a good place to take a date that is for sure. Our server was very knowledgeable and very prompt. When I booked, I mentioned to Yasmine (I believe the owner) that it was our anniversary so they gave us a free dessert! sweet! Would definitely go back and try the duck!

1  Thank Knightrider0219
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We've been for brunch three times now since Fall '2013 and have had an excellent meal every time. Their eggs benedict are some of the best I've had, and people also have raved about the French toast. We're planning on going for dinner some time soon!

1  Thank GurgiToronto
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Had dinner here with family who was in town for the weekend and we all loved it! Excellent food (try the snails), great atmosphere and good service!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Simple Bistro is a neighbourhood place that consistently delivers good quality food imaginatively prepared at reasonable prices. We have had truly memorable dinners there, and today had an excellent brunch. The selection is very good, ranging from scrumptious French toast to vegetarian mains to a selection of eggs Benedict, daily quiches, etc. Wines by the glass, including very good house wines, are good value. Desserts are wonderful.
The room is classic bistro - small, with modular tables and chairs, reasonably comfortable, but NOT spacious enough to accommodate kids under five running around and/or waving their toys in the air. In other words, this is a place for grownups who enjoy good, somewhat sophisticated yet straightforward food and quiet conversation. We were subjected to a pair of inappropriately young kids today; it is a tribute to the hospitable and tactful service of the wait staff that their impact on other diners was minimized. I would recommend this restaurant for special occasions (someone always seems to be celebrating a birthday) or simply a treat.