“Nice place!”

Ranked #7 of 115 Toronto B&B and Inns
Esslingen am Neckar, Germany
“Nice place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

Before I came to Toronto, I spent a long time looking for the right B&B place for me to go.
I finally found this one, and the moment I saw the picture of it, I loved it!
This was my first experience with B&B and I must say: it was definitely a good one!
I had a pleasant time there. The place was nice, clean and met exactly my requirements - and the host was very nice and helpful with hints and tips, too!!
As this place is only 1 km away from Dundas/Yonge Square, I could reach it within a nice 20 minutes walk. I could have taken the streetcar as well - but as I love to walk, this was perfect for me!
I love this place, and if I come back to Toronto (which I hope I can do soon) then I will definitely try to get a room there, again!
Thank you for a lovely time!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
18 Thank Ralf65

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

Having had decent luck with a similar b and b in another city, I figured I'd try again, especially with the insane hotel rates for this time due to the Toronto International Film Festival. The place is in an old victorian house on Seaton Street, which is a 13-block walk from Dundas Square, which is a Subway stop on the Yonge Street Line. It's about an hour via public transportation from Pearson International. As for the room, though they are somewhat small, at least the Magnolia room, it is comfortable.

In terms of breakfast food, it's standard breakfast cereals including Chocolate Cherios and some other basic items like fruit and so on. The drawback is the first floor bathroom that is used while people eat.

If there's a downside, it's the neighborhood, but I think that's more of a product of the size of the city with the seedy elements trickling into downtown and midtown areas. The area is part of Cabbagetown, which from what I've read is trying to gentrify.

A block away is a homeless soup kitchen I believe and further down the block is a strip club. So you might hear noise outside your window from that element as well the occasional police siren. That's probably the only thing discouraging me from staying there again, but beyond that it's a good enough place if all you care about is sleeping.

Though the owner is not physically there often, he is very easy to reach via email. The price is right around 79-99 Canadian depending on a single/double rate.

And a tip, if you don't to walk down that part of Dundas Street from Church to Seaton, you can either take the 505 street car, which stops a block east of Seaton or you can walk up Seaton to Gerrard, which is the next major street and a nicer block as it passes through Ryerson University.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
44 Thank LarryFleisher
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

the perfect introduction to the B&B experience. Great food and lots of it and wonderfully presented. The rooms are clean and well appointed. Check out the common room, particularly the music stand beside the piano; an intriguing surprise awaits.

For those of you who are more experienced with B&B accomodations, this one will, I believe, will become one of your favourites. Ergin is an excellent host.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Orchid Room and will again. I did not see the others.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
54 Thank Norm S
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

My partner and I stayed here overnight for a quick getaway to Toronto this past weekend. This is an older home with plenty of character and artful decor! But most importantly, the rooms were exceptionally clean. It's a casual, relaxed sort of place - you let yourself in and serve yourself breakfast. The owner was kind, welcoming and unassuming. My favourite part of our stay? Sitting out in the garden, waking up with a strong cup of coffee and listening to the sparrows. In my opinion, this is the best deal in Toronto. We would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: The Magnolia's furthest from the bathroom and has the best decor, but the Trillium is the quiete...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
35 Thank Sue W
Aalst, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

The B&B is a good place to stay if you don't have a large budget. Ergin, the host recieved us with a warm welcome a did a lot of efforts to keep the house very clean. For breakfast you have a big choise of cereals, jams, fresh fruits, teas, coffees,....The public transport (Streetcars and buses) are around the corner and in less than 10 minutes you're in the center of Toronto. We were sleeping in the orchid Room, which I can not recommand. It's on the mainfloor, next to the livingroom and the kitchen. The bed was noisy and the bathroom was seperate (entrance in the kitchen). The other rooms are much better, the bathroom on the second floor aswell! If you're a backpacker and like to cook something yourself, the kitchen has lots of opportunities for you. For people who are happy with a bit less luxury than a hotel, I recommand to stay at Toronto Garden inn!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends