“A gem - delicious and elegant. A real find!”

Caribou Restaurant + Wine Bar
Ranked #5 of 318 Restaurants in Thunder Bay
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: At Caribou, the surroundings are comfortable and the focus is contemporary cuisine of exceptional quality. We are a North American bistro providing you amazing food and top-notch service. In our restaurant, we do not stick to just one type of cuisine. Our chefs are inspired by foods and dishes from Italy to Korea, and more. Signature dishes created by Chef Craig Vieira include certified Angus tenderloin, cedar plank salmon, black and blue ahi tuna and wood oven pizzas. To complete your meal, try one of our desserts that are prepared in-house by our pastry chef. In addition to providing a variety of cuisines from an array of culinary backgrounds, we present an extensive wine list that was compiled by our wine expert, Jeff Hupka. At caribou, we are pleased to offer you a wine list chosen for quality and value with exceptional selection. Our list includes an excellent vintage selection of rare and world class wines, as well as over 30 wines by the glass. Our wine philosophy is focused to bring you a great dining experience enhanced with carefully selected wines to complement your meal. If you're in the mood for a variety of wines, try one of our wine flights. Caribou has been listed in "Where to Eat in Canada" for several years running and the wine list has earned the "Wine Spectator Award of Excellence" every year since 2002. For an unforgettable experience, come join us at Caribou for a delicious meal and a delectable glass of wine.
Reviewed 21 May 2018

Farm to table serving local Ontario specialities. Chilled salad plates reflect quality service. Delicious maple infused salmon, fresh vegetables, and basmati rice. Butterscotch dessert was over the top delicious and served thankfully in a small demitasse cup. Attentive service. Crisp and elegant decor. We liked Caribou so much that we ate there both nights that we spent in Thunder Bay.

Date of visit: May 2018
Caribou_Restaurant, General Manager at Caribou Restaurant + Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2018

Thank you for coming in, not one but two nights! I will pass along this kind review to our staff. We are please that you enjoyed dining here.

Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

My choice of pizza (including the special pizza of the night), a side Caesar salad and dessert all for $25.00. Quite a good deal if you consider the usual price of the pizza alone. Service was great and the food was as good as always. Great spot for dinner!

Date of visit: May 2018
Caribou_Restaurant, General Manager at Caribou Restaurant + Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Hi Margaret. Thank you for coming in and taking advantage of this great night. Tuesday's are quite popular, and a casual way of enjoying our restaurant. We are pleased you had a great experience.

Reviewed 12 May 2018

I was actually looking for a way to skip the meal and exit...
However my meal showed up and was perfectly cooked with nice flavour. The only objection to the Caribou was the acoustics! My ears are still ringing an hour later... wait staff need to yell to be heard in there, Really, I ate quickly and left.
Maybe next time I’ll order take out, the food was good enough to go back for, the lack of sound baffling will keep me from going back. Sorry...

Date of visit: May 2018

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that the service and food that evening hit the mark. I do understand your concern on the noise. The restaurant was extremely busy that night. I hope you give us another chance, if you do, I would suggest coming in early around 5pm for dinner, as the noise level will be more suited to your liking.

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

What a wonderful restaurant. A local, non-chain place to eat with a menu that changes throughout the year.
My fish was perfectly cooked as was my husband’s steak. Desserts were rich and worth every calorie.
The wine list was excellent and the service impeccable. Our waitress was knowledgeable and friendly.
The kitchen is open, which I love. There is nothing to hide and nothing is hidden.
I highly recommend this eating establishment the next time you visit the Lake Head.

Date of visit: May 2018
Caribou_Restaurant, General Manager at Caribou Restaurant + Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2018

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your dining experience with us. Hope to see you again next time your in Thunder Bay.

Reviewed 5 May 2018 via mobile

One of my favourite spots when in Thunder Bay. Love their Pad Thai! Too bad it’s only offered for lunch on certain days.
Consistently good food and a go to any time I’m in town.

Date of visit: May 2018
Caribou_Restaurant, General Manager at Caribou Restaurant + Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2018

Thank you so much Viki. Thank you for sharing your experience.