“A great evening,twice!”

Ranked #34 of 477 Restaurants in St. Catharines
Price range: USD 11 - USD 18
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Italian Cuisine, served in the warmth and elegance of Tuscan decor. The menu features home cooked Italian dishes (award winning lasagna), seafood, filet mignon, chicken and veal selections. The wine list includes both local and international bottles. Dine at The Valley Restaurant, amidst old-world antiques and stained glass. Locally owned and operated by the present owners since 1976. Open Tuesday through Sunday at 4:30.
Reviewed 6 October 2017

First time in Canada and my cousin took us here, twice, well we requested the second time. We were entertaining cousins of ours that we hadn't met.
We had booked the round table as it sat six, although there were only five of us.
The first visit we were offered water as we sat down, then we ordered drinks and main meal, non of us wanted starters. My partner and I both had the special, Salmon with a garlic mash, cannot remember what else we had with it, it was nearly a month ago. Two others had the PortaBella Mushroom cannelloni and forget what the fifth person had.
After the mains none of us wanted any deserts, which were brought around on a serving plate to show you what selection there was that evening, a great way of presenting them.
The second night we booked was again to entertain and chat to a cousin and his fiancé, both of whom I had never met. This time we were offered not only the water bread with oil and balsamic not sure if this is normal, but we were waiting on the cousin to turn up.
Again the mains were superb, I remember I had the PortaBella Mushroom Cannelloni, great dish and we also this time shared two deserts between four of us.
A great atmosphere, the last night there was musical entertainment, a guitarist and female vocalist, think there was a third musician but cannot swear to it.
The only down point is if you have a client who visits the male bathroom for a long while, there is only one male bathroom, and Nadia, lovely lady, checked the female toilet and 'stood guard' while I visited that one..... Now Nadia you know who is writing this review.
It is a very busy restaurant and the first visit we had to walk through the waiting 'Drop-ins' as we call those who don't have a reservation.
It is a grand restaurant with lovely serving staff who are helpful, they took photos of our group with my camera for me, and it is the reason why I requested that we visited a second time.
If I go back to St Catharine and Nadia is still the owner, then I shall dine there again.

Allan S, Owner at Valley Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Hi, it's Nadia.
Thanks so much for the lovely review.
I knew who you were as soon as I read it. You brought a huge smile to my face and made my day!
Thanks again, hope to see you again one day soon. I'm always ready to stand guard if needed.

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed an evening out with our girls group of 10. Small, intimate restaurant. Great place to celebrate an anniversary. But large enough to accommodate our group. Not a place to rush in to get a quick bite. Service is very relaxed. Great, but relaxed. I had a fantastic seafood medley served in pasta. Excellent choice. Nice glass of wine. After dinner the owner served us a complimentary liqueur. Fantastic end to a wonderful dinner.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

My husband and I along with another couple ate at Valley Restaurant last Saturday. The food was so good. We had various meals from seafood to pasta. Each person loved their meal and the desserts were over the top delicious. The staff are friendly and go out of their way to make things perfect. The wait time was long but they were so busy, it was understandable. We enjoyed our time just being there. Thanks to Andrew our waiter for a great evening and looking after us.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

We had a reservation for 7pm this past Saturday. As we arrived there seemed to be some consuming with the hostess in finding our reservation - I had a confirmation email. After a short wait we were taken to our table. Then the waiting started....20 minutes before taking a drink order and then at least another 20 minutes before our dinner order was taken. It was a very long time before we were served. But, the Caesar salad was husband had was fresh, crisp and tasty. My Tuscan bread was overloaded with garlic which I needed to scrape off....the accompanying sauce for dipping was very good. Our guests had the soup special which was squash with sausage and Caesar salad which were both. Mains came quite a long time later along with a bread basket. I had the lasagna and it was delicious, full of lots of cheese, meat and sauce. My husband's seafood pasta dish was also very good. Our guests also enjoyed their meals....we were very hungry by the time our main was served. We were also in a very tight corner where the waitress could not get to most of our table so we assisted in serving the dishes. Unfortunately there was only one of the dessert three of us had chosen left....might be due to how dinner took! Overall the food was tasty, but it was quite a crowded area where we sat and almost 3 hours was really too long for dinner. It was a Saturday night so we may try this spot again. We had been to the location a couple of times with the previous owners....service was definitely better then. Hopefully it was just a busy night. Chairs only have a cushion and not very comfortable to sit that long,

1  Thank JMBennoch
Allan S, Owner at Valley Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of our restaurant.
We are glad you found the food to be fresh and delicious.
We apologize for the slow service that evening. We were staffed and prepared for a typical Saturday evening based on previous trends and the number of reservations we had for the evening, yours being one of them. However that evening quickly turned out to be much busier than any other Saturday since we purchased the restaurant.
We did our best to keep up with demand but unfortunately your service was slower than normal. The higher volume also caused us to run short of some of our fresh made desserts which would have been a disappointment I'm sure.
We have increased staffing levels for the coming weekend and hopefully it will continue to be busier each week as we adjust to the growing business trend.
Again we are sorry for the slow service and are working to make sure we can meet the demands of our valued guests.

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

Hi. Was there last year when it was under original owner . Ordered ravioli at a Italian food based establishment . Ravioli was overcooked . Did not go back . Til today .under new management , service is extremely slow . With times of wondering where the waitress was . Basically drank a bottle of wine waiting for food .When food arrived. Was mediocre. Will not go back . Live near restaruant .it's too bad. Would like to have a place to walk too . Drink eat and have a good time . Sam

2  Thank Cheryl P