“Great Surprise to Find this Restaurant”

No photo provided
Price range: USD 4 - USD 11
Description: Authentic Trinidadian Caribbean cuisine
Description: Authentic Trinidadian Caribbean cuisine
Reviewed 16 February 2017

It's small and unassuming and, when you walk in it's very friendly and smells great. It's located in the store front in the same building as the Halal market. It's a take-away place so there's only a few seats for guests waiting for food. The owner was very friendly with a huge smile. He explained many of the dishes including letting us try several things.

There are a few dishes that define 'Trini' food compared to other Caribbean cuisines yet there were a few familiar items such as coleslaw, rice and peas, roti, curry goat, etc. We tried a few different things and everything had great flavor, good portions sizes, overall I was pleasantly surprised by all of it. I wanted to try a few others but, they had sold out. The owner explained that he cooks everything daily and only what he believes he'll sell (to keep quality up and reduce waste). Come early to try the Trini classics.

Date of visit: January 2017
2  Thank 876danek

Reviewed 25 August 2016

There's always some hesitation when you visit a place for the first time that none of your peers have been to, so it was for me today when I decided to visit Soxy's Trini Takeout in downtown St. Catharines.

The menu is quite simple, a selection of dinner plates and roti. For roti they have chicken (bone-in and boneless), goat, potato and shrimp. There are a few mains to choose from including Stew Chicken and Curry Chicken. Several sides include rice and beans, macaroni pie, potato salad, etc. They also serve chicken, fish, macaroni pie and shepherd's pie a la carte. I find at most restaurants, the more complicated and lengthy your menu is, the more likely your food is subpar. Do a few things, and do them right! This seems to be the philosophy the owners of Soxy's are going for and they're succeeding.

I tried the boneless chicken roti as I've had bone-in goat and chicken roti and sometimes it's nice to just eat right through without worrying about piercing your tongue. The owner offered me some hot sauce and showed me the scotch bonnet-based sauce he makes from scratch and mentioned he also has something hotter with a Scorpion pepper. I like flavorful without the heat being the overall star, so I opted for the scotch bonnet sauce...it was delicious.

This is definitely authentic Trinidadian roti, presentation was great and the portion for $10 was also very satisfying. Everything was piping hot, you can use your hands if you want but it's far easier to just get a knife and fork and plop it down on a plate.

Mmm, very nice flavors here. From my first visit I can highly recommend the delicious Trinidadian-style curry chicken roti, everything was cooked to perfection, hot, tender, moist, flavorful, and I will absolutely be back for more. Best of luck to the owners.

Date of visit: August 2016