“Buyer beware”

Hana Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 224 Restaurants in Sarnia
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: My wife and I had lunch here yesterday (August 9, 2011). The restaurant opened on July 29th at the old Pepper Jack’s / Kelsey’s location. We enjoyed our meal. The cost, excluding trip, was $32.95 for the two of us. Japanese restaurants seem to be a little on the pricey side so this amount was not unexpected. On this particular day they were having problems with their credit/debit card system, and it was a “cash-only” operation. Patrons were directed to a cash machine at a nearby bank in the same plaza. The lunch clientele seemed mostly drawn from the casually dressed vacation crowd on this day. The restaurant advertises itself as “all you can eat”, but it is not buffet style. When we sat down we had to fill out an order form using the menu as a guide and the dishes were then brought to our table. That arrangement might be a problem to diners unfamiliar with Japanese food. How do you know what to try without seeing what was on offer? We filled out our order form, trying to judge how much food to ask for. We eventually placed a second order – just for dessert and there was no delay in having the additional food delivered. But with this kind of ordering system the waitress will likely make 5 to 10 trips to your table. When they get busy, I wonder if there will be delays? We experienced none however. Everything we ordered was very fresh and tasty and we enjoyed each and every dish. I guess here in the West we expect our waitresses to have a smile on their faces and generally give the impression that they enjoy their work and appreciate us being there. At Hanas, the waitresses seem to be mostly Chinese girls, and they show very little personality with the customers. To be fair, one or two did respond with a smile to other diner’s friendly remarks, but our waitress was blank-faced throughout. That needs improving. The décor is really nice and the washrooms are spacious and high class. I hope this restaurant is a success here in Sarnia and we will have another permanent outlet for Japanese food. They just need to get the waitresses to learn how to smile as they deliver really tasty food.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

The food was very good, the service too. Beware the drinks ... if you have anything other than water, it is extra. There are no refills ... each glass is full price. Make sure you are aware because it isn't transmitted to you.

Reviewed 14 March 2018

For a fixed price, you get a great selection of sushi platters. If your unsure, there are always less adventurous plates available. If you pick a busy time, you'll notice the staff are a little stretched and can come across a little rushed. A good alternative to the every day eats in town.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Stopped in here for a late night dinner. I was not met by anyone. I had to flag down a server to ask where I should sit which they answered "anywhere". So after I picked a seat I had to flag down a server again to get a menu. This place is the kind where you fill out a card with the corresponding number in the menu and then they bring you what you ordered. I put out my first card and waited for someone to come over and pick it up. It took a while. The food came out quicker than the service and was okay but not the best sushi I've had. The décor is modern but very worn. I might come back with a group looking for all you can eat but otherwise I'd go to some other places as a first choice.

Reviewed 29 January 2018

I was in a hurry or I would NEVER have gotten a bowl of water from this place let alone lunch! Upon walking up to it there are two glass doors...the dirtiest doors I have ever seen. When I entered the first thing I noticed was wait staff in grubby jeans, tshirts and sweatshirts and filthy floors! The bar area is so dirty!I got my lunch pretty quickly but it was sooo small, the sticky rice was not sticky it was mush, the sushi that should be cold was warm, the avocados were turning brown already, the cucumbers were soft not crunchy. I threw most of it out on the way home. Then the important part I spent the rest of the day and the next day in the bathroom ugh! Gross food!

1  Thank Elaine D
Reviewed 19 January 2018

We went in for dinner one evening in December, as we were passing through Sarnia. The place is definitely busy, there was a lineup on a weeknight. We were seated fairly quickly though. We did the AYCE and ordered a variety of things. The selection is fairly decent, though definitely less than other places I have tried. As for taste, some items we did not care for, like the stuffed mushrooms, and the fried rice had a very unique taste that we weren't fond of. The sashimi was great though, as was the avocado pizza.

We got to speaking to our main server at the end of the meal when we were paying, and asked how tipping works here. We were informed that for any tips on credit and/or debit, the house keeps 70%. We thought this was absurd, considering how hard the servers work, and how pleasant this server was. We opted to pay our bill on credit, but tip our server in cash, as this setup seemed entirely unfair to the servers.

This left a sour taste in our mouths. Tip your servers in cash. They earn that money.